User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
exbee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
What time of the year did you go? Did you carried your helmets with you?
We went in Mid-October and therefore got off-season rates. The weather was cool but that's what I'm used to riding in. It only rained one morning in the 8 days we were there. We rode the Dolomites and into Slovenia and Croatia...amazing roads and scenery in every direction.
I walked onto the plane wearing my riding gear and carrying a dry-bag and my helmet. That's all I took and all I needed.
exbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel in Andermatt? (like motel type). I can't find anything under 100 euros a night! And they all charge per person, not per room
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by exbee View Post
...the Tenere had been crashed by another customer and we were upgraded to a 2013 700GS for free.
Sounds like my first rental with Renato - I had a 650GS reserved, and got a free upgrade to an 1150GS.

I'm now on my second Adventure Tourer (VStrom 1000 & Tiger Explorer 1200).

OK - I would have bought bikes anyway, but it showed me that a short-legged (28" / 71cm inseam) rider can ride a tall bike comfortably. I had always discounted them as being too tall.

Thanks, Renato

I've rented twice more since from him and crashed (lightly) one of them. I thought that what he charged for the repairs was more than reasonable.

I wound up shipping one of my old bikes over and storing it for 4 years in Heidelberg.

Bottom line, for anything less than a month, rent. The bottom-line Dollar (Euro?) figure is about the same, and you don't have the paperwork hassles. It's also a great way to take a looong test ride (assuming that you're thinking about a BMW R bike).
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures

MichaelJ screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 06:21 AM
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelieADV View Post
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel in Andermatt? (like motel type). I can't find anything under 100 euros a night! And they all charge per person, not per room
You're talking about Switzerland here - try and keep perspective.

Try the Bergidyll. I recall it as being less expensive than the others. I usually stay at the Monopol, but have also stayed at the Sonne and the Schlussel.

I haven't heard anything good about the Aurora.

You might look st staying outside of Andermatt - say in Ulrichen or Wassen, but then you'll be out in the country a bit won't have the luxury of walking to restaurants, et. al.

Note that Andermatt is undergoing a MAJOR building exercise and the small Swiss town that we all have loved over the years is going to disappear and prices, I'm afraid, will rise even higher as the people with real money buy the apartments and condos. Sample and enjoy it while you can.

There's a new Hotel Chedi (5 star) going up that looks like someone plunked an HO scale building down in an N scale layout.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 05-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #20
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The kilometers not included, but they can work out a good deal.
Unless you ride from dawn to dusk, stay mainly on Autobahns and NEVER stop to piss, eat or take pictures, you will rarely exceed 250-300 kms/day.

This was 18 riding days last July. About 1,000 kms of that were long Autobahn days getting from Heidelberg to the Alps and back to Heidelberg - so 4,500 kms over 16 riding days.

Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Ok, We plan to arrive in Milano and rent a G650GS [/url]
Good choice.
Quote:
Here is a full route:
http://goo.gl/maps/wY4Vf - I have no idea why it doesn't gives me to continue from B straight to C on 19 thru Furca, but instead rerouts me back around...
That is, because the pass currently still is closed (snow). The routing will work, as soon as the pass is open again;-)
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #22
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Michael.
Since we leaving Milan in the morning I figured that we have enough time to go thru Furka and Andermat and continue farther on rt 19. Can you suggest or anyone heard of a decent stay between Andermatt and say Trin...
Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 AM   #23
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
... decent stay between Andermatt and say Trin....
Trin?
And what's "decent"? ( main season?... main tourist routes? Add "decent" and Switzerland and that equates to top-$$)

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #24
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you suggest or anyone heard of a decent stay between Andermatt and say Trin...
I recall that as a long boring valley running along the Rhine river with not a lot of accommodations. Then again, I was never looking for them. You're getting close to Chur, so there will be stuff available - but as Glitch said, thi$ i$ $witzerland.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 05-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #25
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it. Thanks all.
Here is my plan. Feel free to comment/advise...

Day 1: http://goo.gl/maps/31JiY
Day 2: http://goo.gl/maps/QiE2l
Day 3: http://goo.gl/maps/PoEBf - between A and B the short route is not yet open, so it can cut about 1 hour to 1:30 toward B.
Day4-6: http://goo.gl/maps/VI8lZ
Day 7: http://goo.gl/maps/57nwE
Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #26
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Got it. Thanks all.

Day 1: http://goo.gl/maps/31JiY
This is ugly Autobahn between Como & Faido, but it is done more or less fast, (unless it's vacation time) and unless you don't want to ad some extra hours in the saddle there's not many options you have... what did you say when do you travel?

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Day 3: http://goo.gl/maps/PoEBf - between A and B the short route is not yet open, so it can cut about 1 hour to 1:30 toward B.
This is going to be a long day on the bike anyway. As you anyway will wish to stay on the bike dusk till dawn, that doesn't bother.

Quote:
No! Don't miss Sella Ronda! That is a loop of 4 passes that can be easily described as one of the best motorcycle roads on earth! From Cortina (which by the way will not be much more affordable than Switzerland), you can ride to Arabba, than Corvara in Badia, than SS243 to Passo Gardena, than SS242 to Passo Sella, and, if you want to complete the circle, SS48 tp Passo Pordoi an Arabba again. As far as I remember, Michael did suggest one hotel in Arabba to other's who was in that area. ...

Quote:
There's not much enjoyable motorcycling south of E64 and also the line Bergamo - Lecco. So, once south of thes lines, hit the Autostrada, as everything else will bore you to death. ATTENTION: Italian Automobilists are a nightmare! They will fight you without reason and it won't even help you to stay at the right lane. Anyway try stay there as soon as possible after you have overtaken slower vehicles (which most likely will not be many) ride with the flow and have a look at the mirrors as often as possible.
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #27
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Got it. Thanks all.
You've got a LOT of up and back rides to some of the passes - like the Furka and Gavia to pick two. Is this your preference or is how Google is routing you?
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 05-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cooltours - thanks a lot. Great info!

Michael - I was drawing the route myself. I want to ride as many passes as I can.
I rode in the Alps before (not Swiss) but I was alone and camped/hosteled just wherever I wanted. No set plans on where to stop for a night.
This time is more complicated. I ride with a passenger, and she needs to know that we gonna have a place to stay for the night.
Based on my experience in Pyrenees, 6 hours google route a day for 2, is hands full.
Therefore I need your expert's input of that region. If you feel that it is not very doable timewise - I'll spread it oout into more days.

As for Cortina. I think that I'll change for Arabba as the last stop for a day.
What about hotels in Arabba?

Thank you again for all the advices.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #29
dog2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I am planning to rent from the same company in Milan in the end of June and would appreciate feedback on your experience.
dog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #30
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Michael - I was drawing the route myself. I want to ride as many passes as I can.
Day 1 - you're going up to Gletsch and then back down to take the train under the Furka. From Gletsch, hop up to the Grimsel (a VERY short detour) and then back down to Gletsch and over the Furka to Andermatt.

Day 2 - From the Fuorn Pass, continue on to Santa Maria Val Mustair and pick up the Umbrail Pass that takes you almost to the top of the Stelvio. Up to the Stelvio and back down to Bormio.

Day 3 - You're going south out of Bormio and looping up to the Gavia and back down. Why not just head to the Gavia from Bormio? Unless you have someplace to see that isn't obvious.

Days 4-6 - head for Arabba and overdose on some of the best roads in the world packed into an impossibly small area. Plan on 2 nights in Arabba.

Day 7 - I hate the last day when I'm heading back to turn the bike in. I know some lovely routes, but it would take up the whole day and you'd probably get back to Milano too late. Your route is better than just hitting the Autostrada, though.

Quote:
If you feel that it is not very doable timewise - I'll spread it oout into more days.
More days is ALWAYS good!

Quote:
As for Cortina. I think that I'll change for Arabba as the last stop for a day.
What about hotels in Arabba?
I like the Evaldo - especially if I want to feel pampered for a day or two. Not the cheapest, but I'm worth it.

The Olympia is OK and I have mixed emotions about the Al Forte (a bit out of town). I had an absolutely HORRIBLE (detailed rant on request) room there last year.

Note: Motorcyclists are BIG business in the Alps, and are actively courted and catered to by the tourist industry. Welcome to the world of being an Honored Guest rather than Biker Scum

Quote:
I want to ride as many passes as I can. (reprise)
This was a day last July from about 09:00 to 17:00, starting and ending at Arabba:

Campolongo
Gardena
Sella
Pordoi (up and back)
Fedaia (up and back)
Costalunga
Nigra (up and back)
Lavaze
Oclini (up and back)
Pramadiccio
San Pellegrino (NOT the water)
Rolle
Cereda
Aurine
Franche (up and back)
Duran (rain started)
Staulanza

I would have added the Giau, Falzarego and Valparola, but there were active T-Storms at altitude and I'm a bit chicken about all that electricity in one place.

Granted - this WAS a pretty focused ride, but I doubt that there's anywhere else on earth that you can ride so many passes in a day.

Oh yeah - and you DO have a copy of this, don't you? (don't leave home without it)
Michael J. - IBA #3901