Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
Bluesilver OP
Scrat

Oddometer: 210
1190 Starting issues

Hi

Maybe someone can shed some light on this cause KTM has no clue.

I've had my fair share of problems, all repaired under warranty from new but one problem is grinding my cheese, starting the bike when it's been in the cold.

Has any one found a fix for this? I asked KTMSA but they say they 'heard" of isolated problems in Europe but no fix from Austria.

I heard changing out with a Li battery does not sort the sluggish start so where to now?

Winter is coming our side and I have a tour planned but already, at 14deg Celsius the bike is JUST able to swing over even with a fully charged battery.

Anyone?

Thanks

TREV
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,163
Ahh yes

The cold starting issue we can't get fixed in the USA

Nice huh

There are even part numbers for new cables we can't get ( cool huh)
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Ahh yes

Nice huh

Even with the few problems I had with the Ducati mts 1200 the parent company was way better than Ktm has been. Ktm is a joke when it comes to fixing known issues. It would seen if a bike is having a problem in one part of the world it might just do the same elsewhere. Just a thought
Old 05-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
My bike is acting like it's having difficulty starting in South Texas heat. Hate to think what it might do in cold weather. Cranking speed is rather slow.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Have you had all the updates done? I'm not sure what was included but since I have had them done here in the UK it is certainly better.

I also keep it on an Optimate which also seems to help.

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 131
The issue is a weak starter motor. It's worse in cold temps. I'm having a new starter fitted next week under warranty but I'm not convinced it will sort the issue as the dealer refused to confirm of the new starter was the same part or a newer improved version. Some of the KTM dealers in Holland have fitted the Super Duke R starter motor with great success. See Dutch geezer here who had the issue and now resolved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDf9...JPCZVIyx08HbJg
gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
WickedKTM
Lost

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post

Nice huh

What are the part numbers?
WickedKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Have a photo

Of the bags
Can't host Picts
Old 05-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I think this issue was fixed with a firmware update. I had it done in dec. in Spain and haven't had any starting issues. Fellow rider Martin I met in Puerto Montt as well had serious starting issues and looked like his intake valves got stuck. Think it was because off the not so good sealing airbox and valves getting dirty but not sure anymore...he was using the original paper filter.
I've installed the Uni-filter and haven't had any issues.

Hope this helps...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

No

Updates here I'm aware of or the dealers
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
Bluesilver OP
Scrat

Thanks for all the feedback, I contacted KTM South Africa and they know of the "isolated" issue globally but since KTM Austria has done nothing about it, they won't do anything, "hope that helps" they tell me.

Every warranty repair done I hear in the USA takes MONTHS to reach SA and then KTMSA knows nothing so I'm finding there is no proactive responses to any issues, it looks like wait and see how much the people bitch and what KTM Austria do.

Either way seems like a SURE fix is the 1290 starter, if KTM don't sort this out fast then I'm gonna get rid of the bike, just to many visits to the dealer for what KTM tells us, is a bike that has had EXTENSIVE development in the desert and dirt......I'm still waiting for my airbox to be fixed.

Anyway, my rant for the day, again thanks for the feedback, time to go test the new GS1200LC.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #12
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 367
Here are the details of the heavy duty cables supplied and fitted under warranty by KTM Greece:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1119
Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
ABuck99

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshot72 View Post
The issue is a weak starter motor. It's worse in cold temps. I'm having a new starter fitted next week under warranty but I'm not convinced it will sort the issue as the dealer refused to confirm of the new starter was the same part or a newer improved version. Some of the KTM dealers in Holland have fitted the Super Duke R starter motor with great success. See Dutch geezer here who had the issue and now resolved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDf9...JPCZVIyx08HbJg
Interesting video- His dealer was on to something.... installing the 1290 starter in the 1190 ( wonder if they also upgraded the battery cables?).

I looked up the part numbers and compared: the 2014 1290 Super Duke R does have a different starter motor than the 2014 1190ADV - all other parts list components( torque limiter, idler gear, rotor, screws, bolts, bush ect) all appear to use the same/interchangeable. There is no further information as to what the Kw output is of either starter looking at the micro fiche. Assuming that the compression ratio on the 1290 is more (no data shown from the KTM website to know for sure), 1290 would be requiring a little more torque to spin the engine over.

Also the battery cable specs on the 1290Duke show 16mm, where the 1190 doesn't indicate diameter, not sure if they are the same diameter, but since its called out on the 1290 "leads" me to think- thicker.

So- is the starter ( and cables) on the 1190ADV is under rated, or does it just barely meet the spec and then in cold weather drag & fail?

This might be one more item to review and add to the list for those on their letter writing campaigns.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #14
Bluesilver OP
Scrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
Interesting video- His dealer was on to something.... installing the 1290 starter in the 1190 ( wonder if they also upgraded the battery cables?).

I looked up the part numbers and compared: the 2014 1290 Super Duke R does have a different starter motor than the 2014 1190ADV - all other parts list components( torque limiter, idler gear, rotor, screws, bolts, bush ect) all appear to use the same/interchangeable. There is no further information as to what the Kw output is of either starter looking at the micro fiche. Assuming that the compression ratio on the 1290 is more (no data shown from the KTM website to know for sure), 1290 would be requiring a little more torque to spin the engine over.

Also the battery cable specs on the 1290Duke show 16mm, where the 1190 doesn't indicate diameter, not sure if they are the same diameter, but since its called out on the 1290 "leads" me to think- thicker.

So- is the starter ( and cables) on the 1190ADV is under rated, or does it just barely meet the spec and then in cold weather drag & fail?

This might be one more item to review and add to the list for those on their letter writing campaigns.

I sent the vid to the local KTM dealer AND KTMSA, not holding my breath but seen as I notified them and KTMSA, I will wait a week then I'll start bitching every single day with emails, phone calls...forums till this nonsense is sorted.

A new 1290 Starter is around R5000 here, I'm not going to pay for what is definitely a KTM design fault, yet again and the sh..t list on the 1190's is shocking, also just checked the 1290 forum, they having loads of quality issues like we have so how the HELL KTM can claim to sell "tested" in the harshest environment bikes I do not know, hope the USA market HAMMERS the CRAP out of them that is the only time KTM Austria seem to react.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #15
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 205
Isolated cases ??? Come on guys.

There have been many cases in Europe and anywhere else where its getting fresh in Winter...

It was one point among others of the french petition, which earned 1 year warranty extension to world-wide MY2013 owners.

KTM HQ admitted a faulty battery series related to those cases, but thats certainly not the end of the story, because even those who put 3rd party batteries or the LiPo battery still had the issue.

The 1290 starter certainly helps, but KTM HQ claims that it could harm the 1190 electronics (yet they agreed to fit them in 'isolated cases').

(...the price of the starter is roughly 600$ and fitting it takes a few hours because the engine needs to be tilted...so if you can convince owners that switching some cables or the battery does the job...)

The problem is at best delayed because it got warm in the northern hemisphere.

Womble_CH screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 06:06 AM
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote