User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,183
I would be the first

Person to bitch loudly at Ktm USA as it's crazy they way this company treats it's customers. I have called them and told them how disappointing the few issues are with this bike. I called about the cold start months ago ( when it was cold and it will get cold again) and was told they knew nothing about it and was told to put thinner oil in the bike. That's the same answer months later when I asked about the air box problem

So what is the USA public going to do?
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 369
The link I posted earlier was the heavy duty battery cables. KTM Greece supplied and fitted them when the bike went for its 1000 km service and told me the factory were issuing these to everyone as "the solution" for starting problems. Clearly KTM USA do not know about this, which surprises me since it is policy throughout Europe.

There have never been starting problems on my '1190, but then again it's never colder than freezing point in Greece, and only for a day or so each year.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #18
GSD
Woof

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
... KTM Greece supplied and fitted them when the bike went for its 1000 km service and told me the factory were issuing these to everyone as "the solution" for starting problems. ...
Not the case for every model. My 2013 had the same problem and I had the same feelings Had to load it on the tow-track twice and jump-start it twice more. I asked about the cables and they told me they weren't for mine. My 1190 had an issue with the battery. The gel inside was freezing and wouldn't give the 'right" amperes, so they put a new battery with electrolytes. Since then I had no trouble at all
Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #19
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD View Post
Not the case for every model. My 2013 had the same problem and I had the same feelings Had to load it on the tow-track twice and jump-start it twice more. I asked about the cables and they told me they weren't for mine. My 1190 had an issue with the battery. The gel inside was freezing and wouldn't give the 'right" amperes, so they put a new battery with electrolytes. Since then I had no trouble at all
Great to hear from you GSD, and glad your '2013 bike has been sorted. Maybe I'll see you on the mainland some time?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #20
Wawlia
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Same here

My 2014 also has this "laboured" turn-over on start-up - from new - hot or cold it's the same.
One morning there is just not going to be enough juice to crank those big pistons over fast enough.
Heading into winter that is sure to be sooner than later - or on the next trip with my GS mounted buddies - can already hear it...........

Had a lot of problems with gel batteries on previous bikes - when they quite they do so with immediate effect - unlike others that seem to give you some/ample warming.

Thicker cables would seem to be a good option here.

What does it take to bump start this bike - cant imagine it would be a walk in the park!!!!!
Wawlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #21
GSD
Woof

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Great to hear from you GSD, and glad your '2013 bike has been sorted. Maybe I'll see you on the mainland some time?
I'm more the reading than the writing type
Maybe because my knowledge in mechanical matters is a bit limited.
And that would be a good idea since to be honest with you, I've only met 2 more guys with the same bike among 4 million people that live in Athens
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #22
Redherring
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawlia View Post
My 2014 also has this "laboured" turn-over on start-up - from new - hot or cold it's the same.
One morning there is just not going to be enough juice to crank those big pistons over fast enough.
Heading into winter that is sure to be sooner than later - or on the next trip with my GS mounted buddies - can already hear it...........

Had a lot of problems with gel batteries on previous bikes - when they quite they do so with immediate effect - unlike others that seem to give you some/ample warming.

Thicker cables would seem to be a good option here.

What does it take to bump start this bike - cant imagine it would be a walk in the park!!!!!
My one month old bike would not start today. Turned over but would not fire up. We live on a steep hill, so I tried bump starting it down the hill - not a chance, the bike just ground to a halt! Never had a problem doing this with previous bikes, even Ducatis would bump start down this hill. Anyone know if KTM's are impossible to bump start?
One hour later, whilst waiting for the tow truck, I tried the starter again and the bike fired up OK! No idea what the problem was.
Redherring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
breakfastbuddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
my 2013 R was in for service

at the service they changed the cabels that went to the starter , because the end connections was not good . so my thoughts will be that if you solder the end connections then the cable will be good , another thing i would like to know is : do some of you out there know were to find a oil engine heater for the bike ?
breakfastbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
Grundy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redherring View Post
My one month old bike would not start today. Turned over but would not fire up. We live on a steep hill, so I tried bump starting it down the hill - not a chance, the bike just ground to a halt! Never had a problem doing this with previous bikes, even Ducatis would bump start down this hill. Anyone know if KTM's are impossible to bump start?
One hour later, whilst waiting for the tow truck, I tried the starter again and the bike fired up OK! No idea what the problem was.

Sounds like a bad connection in the cables. my R was built in 1/14 and has the beefy cables. Started good at 29F, too cold for me to start below that.

No experiene with bump starting this bike, but I'm thinkin 3rd would be a good choice.
Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #25
BHoward
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
The 1190 has a slipper clutch, this means it will not bump or push start.
BHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #26
jetdocX
Orange Curious

Oddometer: 665
I tried to bump start mine in 2nd then 3rd, then 4th down a long hill. No joy. The starter sounds pretty anemic when the bike is cold in the AM. Can't wait for the first cold morning in the mountains.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #27
mvonkaenel
Mtn Mike

Oddometer: 71
Bump start

Anyone try hitting the starter at the same time you go to bump it?
Takes coordination and a good sized hill.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #28
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redherring View Post
I've done it just for testers but bike was warm, 2nd gear and with luggage. I think weight on the back is essential...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
The 1190 has a slipper clutch, this means it will not bump or push start.
Negative...done it! With luggage...and warm engine:)
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #30
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
mine bump starts in 3rd no problem?
Black Hills is online now   Reply With Quote