Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #16
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Good start Ela, I'll chip in with a few pics here and there, (only for the first two days though!!).
Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #17
RickA
Fat Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
A Great trip - we were all expecting the worst of the weather but it turned out to be fab with only half a day of rain and warm for the rest of the trip.

Can't post any pictures because some fool brought his camera but forgot to put the memory card in it.....

Being spring - the river crossings were deep and interesting! Never had the 690 exhaust underwater before, blowing spray whilst my fingers hovered nervously above the kill switch...

The tough trails took their toll and at one point it was just Timpo and myself out there with the rest of the team licking their wounds/looking glumly at broken bikes/searching for lost passports (Muppet award of the trip!).

LD Lines - that's another story! On the way out we were treated to lifeboat drill - a first for me on any ferry, and this should have forewarned me for what was to come!
The Deckhands were all pissed as farts and trying to sell us contraband goods, the facilities on board were crap and expensive, and the old cross-channel ferry had no place in the Bay of Biscay, especially in the storm we encountered. There were bodies being hurled out of their chairs and injured and vomit being hurled by just about everyone else! Never been on a tub that rolled and pitched like this old thing! Really thought it was going to go over a few times in the night!

For a few quid more - book Brittany!

We all survived the trip however and had a great time - the food and wine as good as the craic. Looking forward to the next one already!

Great pictures Pumpy!

Cheers, Rick
RickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #18
euskalherria
euskalherria

Oddometer: 452
Hi all.Good introduction Ela, ;-)

Going to Portugal is always a good plan. Nice tracks, fantastic people and fabulous food.
I can´t post many pictures, I just ride two days because a health problem.
So lets start,
I arrive to campsite Cepo Verde some hours before Britihs . I came by car because my health and the trip till there, just 5 hours was not so good, I suffered some dizziness.But the desire to ride was bigger than sense. On the campsite I prepair mu bike and cabin and later have a big walk. Finally a meet Tim and the rest of the crew came very late in the night because a very pleasant trip by ferry.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #19
euskalherria
euskalherria

My cabin for that night

The adventure starts. First refueling

In the first kilometers the group was full

Fantastic lanes
Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #20
euskalherria
euskalherria

This time, Rick was the leader of the group and the first crossing rivers…..

Uffff is deeper than it looks but Rick is a good experienced rider and he do the work

Second day preparing bikes

Timpo and Rick, my good team mates. For diferent reasons, the group was divided.

Nice ancient lanes

Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
euskalherria
euskalherria

That way???

We have the opportunity to see and hear a Ford WRC training on our track!!

3rd day. I was riding alone by road trying to have a rest to ride next day. The ride was sort but incredible on landscapes

4rd day and last try to ride on tracks. Was not possible.

Thanks for all friends and hope to see you soon, off the road.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #22
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Warning! Graphic content - viewer discretion advised!

So that's why it wouldn't go!

Hi Iker, good photos
Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Great photos, Iker, thank you very much!

Shame that we didn't have the chance to say goodbye properly...

Hope you are feeling better and giving yourself some rest.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
So that's why it wouldn't go!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

The plan for this year's adventure was already hatched during the last October trip: Timpo and I discussed possible dates and I, completely smitten with Portugal, went off on a mission to gather my own Dirty Girls group for the next tour of the country.

Well, although all the ladies I asked were really interested, they couldn't make it in the end for a variety of reasons: Sarah Teach and Dr JM injured themselves, Danielle&Janice rather greeced their own, Welshbird became Romaniac, Pix preferred to jet around the globe, Laouen had some minor conference to attend, Karin didn't think her husband would be too happy if she went off into the wilderness with us - that's to name just a few. Others didn't even bother to get back to me. Hey-ho, maybe another time. I don't really mind being the only female...

To make keeping up with the boys a bit easier for me, I thought I'd take my little CRF230F this time rather than the still pretty lardy DRZ - and my wonderful personal mechanic promised me a home-made luggage rack for Christmas.

It all started with the (already very sophisticated) subframe extension

... and some scruffy BMW pannier frames from eBay

After hours of heavy welding...

... and hard work...

... my bike had the most beautiful luggage rails in the world!

Preparations also included a meticulous inspection of my wheel bearings (ahem...) and all other consumables to avoid the recurrence of any embarrassing incidents that you may remember from the previous trip...

On the last Saturday of April we loaded the van and went to pick up VTwins4me

His SE and belongings were carefully squeezed between Possu's 690 and my CRF, all our equipment and the kitchen sink...

Men have their uses, it's hard to deny!

And then we headed to the south coast to board the Norman Asturias, a budget ferry run by LD Lines, which fitted perfectly with our holiday schedule and was initially around £300 cheaper than Brittany Ferries.

Well, the journey out of Poole harbour was very pleasant...

The famous chain ferry running between Sandbanks and Studland...

... connecting Bournemouth and Poole with Swanage and the Isle of Purbeck and thereby saving a 25-mile road trip

The British coast is just lovely - we should go there more often!

Old Harry Rocks

And that was the end of the niceties - as Rick has already described, the remaining 28 hours of the crossing turned into a journey from hell! I'm prone to motion sickness and, in preparation of my next South America trip which will be mainly spent in wobbly mini-buses meandering over the Andes, I had developed an elaborate three-stage plan to tackle the waves: 1) a roll-on stick based on essential oils, 2) wrist bands working on the acupressure principle, and 3) the pills I'd bought last year in Santander before boarding the ferry...

Remedies 1 & 2 failed miserably and in the end it was too late for the medication to take effect - after turning alarmingly green, crouching in the lounge chair and having to use the abundant paper bags constantly replenished by the ship's crew, Possu managed to drag me back to our cabin, where I spent the rest of the passage in bed feeling sorry for myself and feeding the fish (a German euphemism...).

We docked in Santander at 22.00 hrs, three hours later than originally planned and completely knackered. Steve saved the night by vigorously driving the 280 miles to Bragança without a single tinkle stop. At 2.00 in the morning we arrived at the Cepo Verde camp-site - the gate had been left unlocked for us, Tim and Iker had secured two of the lovely cabins and a few beers for those who needed it.

Phew - finally! We had reached the promised land, it didn't rain and tomorrow would be a fantastic day!

Or wouldn't it?

To be continued...

Pumpy screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 03:03 AM Reason: Photo size correction
Pumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #26
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
Despite a series of traumatic events that will come to light later, I had a great time, thanks to Timpo and Pumpy for organising it. Also thanks to to the rest of the group even though I didn't get to ride with some of you very much.

Anyway, I didn't take many photos but did take a fair bit video, probably enough for 5 video clips, the first of which is below, those of you lacking taste in music may wish to turn the sound down if you can't appreciate Hank Williams.....

As others have said, the ferry crossing was a nightmare. I'd been forced to eat Rick's dinner as he couldn't face it, only to see it all again within an hour or so. Once docked in Santander, a quick four drive to Cepo Verde saw us arrive in the early hours, thanks to Tim & Iker for ensuring the gates remained open.

A few hours later and we'd finished breakfast and were unloading the vans and getting ready for 6 days of riding. We fueled up in Braganca and hit the trails, with Timpo in the lead but it wasn't long before we were split up, with me tail-ending Tim. We found ourselves alone in a small depression (literally for Tim) with his Yamaha's clutch slipping badly after climbing a steep overgrown hill. Having freewheeled back down again and with hills on three sides and a river in the only other direction and no other way out, I walked across the river to find a way to access the road we could see. Once the escape route was agreed on, we got both bikes across and I followed Tim as he nursed the 660 back to Cepo Verde.

Once there, I left him to meet up with the others in Chaves, about 90-100km away, taking the fabulously twisty N103. I soon learnt a valuable lesson - don't f@ck about with your GPS whilst riding - I looked up to find, to my great surprise & horror, that the tarmac went left and I'd carried straight on at 40mph in to a gravel and grass verge that ended with a 10ft drop in to an olive grove! The bike slid away from beneath me but I hung on to the 'bars and dug my knees and boot tips in to the ground to act as anchors, there was no way the bike or myself were going over the edge. Fortunately I managed to stop with about a metre to go. Once I dusted myself down and had a word with myself, I carried on, paying a bit more attention to where I was going than the GPS this time.

Faint scrapes in the gravel left by the l/h handguard and my boots:

Bit close for comfort:

Excuse the crappy images from my phone.

To be continued....

Possu screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 03:19 PM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #27
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
Cliffhanger???

Too bad Portugal is so far away. Any bike rental there with decent enduro bikes? I' love to join next time.
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
Possu
de-nOObed!

Richard, you could try contacting these guys in Chaves:

http://www.trasmotos.com/index.php?p...ioma=1&menu=12

The owner is a nice guy, he speaks a bit of Spanish but no English or Deutsch, not sure if he rents bikes out though?

There's the possibility of a small bike trip in October, I'm sure Lidl can spare you for a week or so.......

Possu screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 03:21 PM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
Possu - it's late and for a hard working Brit time to hit the sack. Or you should be in bed giving your fraulein a good back rub or nice massage instead of wasting your time in front of a screen!

I checked out the site you quoted but that would mean I would have to go orange!! I'll check them out, my nephews are spanish speaking so the language barrier should be easy to overcome.

Keep me briefed on the plans, the pics I saw were awesome (my favorite word since Florida) and I would like to ride with you again.

Meanwhile Lidl (this is in fact the name of my employer! - but not the Aldi type company) will provide the funds for the flight.

Cheers
Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Richard, you could try contacting these guys in Chaves:

http://www.trasmotos.com/index.php?p...ioma=1&menu=12

The owner is a bice guy, he speaks a bit of Spanish but no English or Deutsch, not sure if he rents bikes out though?

There's the possibility of a small bike trip in October, I'm sure Lidl can spare you for a week or so.......
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #30
Possu
de-nOObed!

Nothing wrong with going Orange, it's about time you graduated to a proper bike, even Timpo's managed it.......