Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #31
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
I reached Chaves ahead of the others and promptly arranged rooms for the evening @ 30 Euros per room with en-suite & breakfast included. I'm then joined by Tim in his Jeep. He's about to start his second beer when we're rudely interrupted by a call from Lenny & Timpo telling us that Lenny's 400EXC has died and it's been towed to a small town about 15km north of us. We jump in to Tim's Jeep to collect Len, leaving the bike chained up in a fuel station overnight.

Once back in Chaves with a weary Len, we met up with the others and find that Rob's damaged his left knee when the lardy 950SE slipped after exiting a river crossing.

We settled in to our rooms before heading across the road to the Copacabana restaurant where we all order the recommended dish - basically a large platter pf sauteed potatoes and 7 steaks - for two to share! Prior to this we're given plenty of salad and local bread as a starter. The food was excellent and including a few desserts, several soft drinks and 3-4 bottles of wine and several beers, the bill came to a ridiculous 15 Euros each, I think we'd have paid double that in the UK for the quantity and quality of food we'd all enjoyed.

Tuesday morning saw Rob stick to the road and Tim give Lenny a lift to his bike to see if it could be resuscitated whilst the remaining five of us headed on to the trails with the aim of reaching Gerês that evening, a small picturesque village next to some lakes. Unfortunately my 690 conked out on me whilst tail ending Ela. On checking the plug I could see a decent spark, same symptom I'd had two weeks prior to the trip. The only option was for Ela to tow me on the 690 with her CRF230F to a bike dealer in Chaves, something she was dubious about as she'd never towed or been towed on a bike before. Using a combination of various straps from my front Kriega loop to the extended CRF subframe, both she and the CRF did an excellent job of towing me 18km to Trasmotos (http://www.trasmotos.com/) on the outskirts of Chaves. They displayed a prominent KTM sign so I hoped a quick diagnostic check would highlight the problem, alas they did not possess such equipment so I explained the problem via Ela's Spanish / Portuguese (Spanuguese?) only to find the bike fire up as soon as I tried. Talking to the shop owner, I soon realised it was a fuel starvation problem caused by me having rerouted the fuel pipes after fitting a Tractive shock from Rally Raid just before the trip. Despite missing out on most of that day's trails, I was glad we'd found the problem and the towing experience had been good for Ela.

We met up with everyone as planned in Gerês with the exception of Len, who having failed to breathe life in to his EXC, had recovered it back to Cepo Verde with the assistance of Tim, his Jeep and his trailer. Len then decided that he'd stay at the campsite furiously whittling away bits of wood in the production of Gandalf-like staffs and clothes pegs, some of which apparently ended up on sale in the campsite shop, I believe that this was Len's way of getting in touch with his "inner Gypsy" although our main concern was that on our return, he'd want to sell us some lace and read our palms for an exorbitant fee or, deciding that cash was needed to fund the repair of the KTM, start taking lead off the local church roof and stashing it in Rick's van in his absence.

With no photos to post, here's the second video of the Portuguese trails:

Possu screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 12:39 PM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #32
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Portugal thingy

Great vids Possu--I see you just managed to keep up with Ella on the little CRF!

Pannier frames are very profesnial !

What went pop on Lenny's KTM?
--Looks like we are in for some washed out trails in the Balkans also !
CB
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #33
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Nothing wrong with going Orange, it's about time you graduated to a proper bike, even Timpo's managed it.......
But if I remember correctly Timpo is one of those taxi drivers driving those filthy rich London banker to their phoney tax shelter company where they park their humongous bonuses and is collecting huge tips on the way while I am stuffing the Lidl shelves on minimum wages. So a cheap DR will have to do.

Anyway, I looked at the Ryan Air tickets for the beginning of October and it seems I could afford a ticket or two for 120 Euros both ways. I have to book way in advance otherwise the Lidl salary would leave my kids starving. So keep me posted.

I'll see Giorgio for a long weekend from 29 May to 1st of June and can stay in his house in Tai di Cadore. There's 2 DR 350s (one kick, one E), an 1100GS and an F 650 available in my stable - how's it???
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #34
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbarnes1 View Post

What went pop on Lenny's KTM?

CB
His compression ring, it had only done 500 hours
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #35
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
So, my day one, didn't end so well but started off well.

Having arrived at the campsite in good time I met up with Iker and we had dinner together. It was then time to retire to the cabin as I had received a text to say that the others would be late arriving.

The next mooring it was time to prepare the bikes

and then we were off and soon came to the first ford.

once we were all across safely we carried on but soon Steve and I became separated and had a job fining which way to go. To cut a long story sort my clutch gave up the ghost.

After a couple of pathfinding missions Steve found a way out across a river.

and after a bit of pushing and pulling we were able to get both bikes in to the field on the other side.

We then were able to get on to the road where, with lots of revs and little forward motion I was able to limp back to the campsite where I left the bike and the drove my Jeep to Chaves to meet up with everyone else.

When I got there Steve had already found this hotel for us.

[IMG]http://ktim.smugmug.com/PortugalSpain-14/i-qN3Z8dv/0/X2/L1000262-X2.jpg[/IMG

Tim screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 05:09 AM
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #36
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Nice photos, Tim!

And thanks for the report of what you were doing when you and Possu went AWOL...

I think the hotel pic tag had a bracket missing - here it is, the splendid Residencial Termas:

Old 05-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #37
VTwins4me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
So..... my first day riding trails in Portugal was absolutely A1 until......

as both Ela and Steve have pictured I had a lapse of concentration.

Until then everything had been excellent.

Timpo and Ela had organised everything well, Steve had handled transport and packing of bikes and kit, so all I had to do was turn up!

The ferry trip was eventful, suffice to say I didn't have to queue in the bar or restaurant as most of the passengers were otherwise occupied

During the first day, we rode some fantastic trails, crossed three challenging rivers, broke two bikes and I wrecked my knee.

My SE slipped down a bank, pinning my left foot which appeared next to my thigh with a "pop". I thought that doesn't look or feel good....

Thankfully Lenny was at hand to lift the bike off so I could crawl away.

Upshot was I couldn't change gear upward and, three weeks later still cannot. Apparently my Medial Collateral Ligament is unwell.......

My Portugal trip was saved by Timpo's excellent SATNAV track, as for the remainder of the week I bimbled around on road and easy trails, meeting the rest of the group each evening at the planned hotels.

I had one day riding with Ela, who, it transpires likes old ruins - I hope she meant the castles we visited........

On Friday, Timpo and Rick shepherded me up an amazing climb which seemed to go on forever, getting steeper and more technical with every turn. The SE got up without too much drama but there was no margin for error as footing and gear changing ability was ...limited.

Below are a few pictures of fantastic Portuguese countryside I rode / bimbled through.

Vila da Ponte

Crowded Vila da Ponte high street....

http://
My guide for a day

Somewhere.......!

A beautiful old bridge - somewhere! (not very good at this reporting malarkey!!)
A disused Portugese border post - somewhere!
Checking everything is in order...

So basically, I had a fantastic time, lots of good riding and scenery, great food and tremendous company.

Particular thanks to Steve and Ela for inviting me, Timpo for the routes, Rick, Tim and Iker for being Rick, Tim and Iker and.......

A lifetime achievement award for Lenny for preventing me winning the Oldest Codger Award

VTwins4me screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 06:44 AM
VTwins4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #38
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
So, my next day was spent taxi driving (!).

I took Lenny to the KTM shop and then back to his bike where Rob and I kept him company whilst he tried to fix his bike. Once the KTM had been declared DoA by Dr. Len, it was back to the KTM shop and then on to the Yamaha shop to try to find some clutch plates for my bike. We were out of luck as they only had plates for a 660 Raptor and they had different Yamaha part numbers.

I the drove Len back to the campsite so that he could get Ricks van and recover his bike and I then drove on to the next stop to catch up with the group.

I found them here

in a great location right on a lake or reservoir.

The following morning I headed off to do some of the previous trails in reverse, taking me back towards Chaves.

Met some of the locals

oops!

I got on to one rocky trail that was bounded by dry stone walls that must have been great on the bikes. Unfortunately for me it got narrower and narrower so in the end I had to stop and back up and find another route.

I the continued back to Chaves, to the hotel where we had stayed two days before. This time I was lucky enough to have a balcony room!!

I had time to have a look around Chaves which was an interesting little town.

with a castle

Open All Hours?

Old 05-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #39
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Great report, Rob, very funny and entertaining!

You have been to some beautiful places indeed - somewhere... If you compare your track log with the time your photos were taken you may be able to narrow the location down.

It was a pleasure riding with you and I would invite you again, any time. Now get that knee sorted!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #40
VTwins4me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
Now get that knee sorted!
With current NHS performance, my knee will be fossilised before it's scanned!
VTwins4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #41
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

As always, I'm a bit behind with my report...

Monday morning dawned sunny and warm, the birds were singing outside the cabin (some since 4:30... ), and we, refreshed and in high spirits, started to get the bikes ready for the trails

Breakfast was served at 9:00 and looked even better than on the advert

The real thing

Raring to go

We said "Até logo" to our hostess, camp site manager Susana...

... and were off into the wilderness - where we soon reached the first river crossing of the day

Fording is slightly easier when you have long legs, so Tim was not too bothered by the challenge

Timpo was over in no time and Rick followed without hesitation

Lenny

Possu, gentlemanly riding my CRF across

Keep going, please, keep going...

No problem with so much expert guidance...

Then it was Iker's turn

Who thought he'd explore a different route (there is always one... )

Mmm, that's deeper than I expected...

A bit to the right...

Lean over...

Maybe not that far!

Again, why you shouldn't go trail riding by yourself

If in doubt, give it some throttle

Even with soaked trousers, Steve and Timpo cut a fine figure...

And that was the last I saw of my Possu for the next eight hours!

To be continued...
Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #42
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Oddometer: 356
Keep it coming guys
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #43
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
We spent the evening of Tuesday 29th at O Chana, a lakeside hotel with large bunk type rooms and an excellent restaurant where I later found myself eating casserole of Chicken Gizzards, which was very tasty. In my eagerness to stuff my face, I managed to spill a load of sauce down my fleece:

Hence this pic of the owners wife cleaning me up:

The gizzards were followed by excellent pizzas in addition to the usual bread and salad. During the course of the evening we were honoured by a flying visit by none other than Chris Bright, Timpo's better looking twin brother:

The following morning saw us meet up at a local cafe as the O Chana didn't serve breakfast:

Within a few minutes of finishing breakfast and hitting the trails, we found ourselves on an incredibly slippery uphill, rocky trail almost in the town centre. I struggled and had to rely on Uncle Rick's muscle power and a short tow rope to get to the top.

With Tim heading south to Jerez to watch MotoGP, Rob sticking to tarmac, Len whittling away back at Cepo Verde and Iker also staying on the road that day due to an existing ailment, that left Timpo, Rick, Ela and myself on the trails where we had an excellent time riding awesome trails ranging from boulders to gravel and hard packed dirt with everything in between.

Here's the third video of the week's riding:

One of the highlights was crossing a small concrete dam, shallow to the left but covered in water and up to 2m deep to the right. The hard part was getting the bikes and luggage past a post and around the 90 degree bend and on to the dam itself as shown in video 1.

As the afternoon progressed, the mist and drizzle came on, Ela had decided to stick to tarmac and set a route to Melgaco, that evenings destination, on her GPS. Due to her not checking the parameter settings, she soon found herself back on the trails with the rest of us and faced with a 10 mile trail consisting mainly of large, loose rocks, uphill a lot of the way and with a fairly long and steep drop to the left with nothing but a protective Gorse bush as a barrier. At one point the CRF nearly went over the edge and whilst trying to recover the bike, the previously mentioned loose rocks gave way beneath me and down I went, saved by the Gorse to ride another day:

As we entered Melgaco we received a text telling us the chosen hotel was full and that Rob & Iker were a couple of km away in Peso. A pleasant evening looked to be in front of us but this was ruined by the appearance of two dodgy looking Portuguese guys but more about that later.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #44
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
A pleasant evening looked to be in front of us but this was ruined by the appearance of two dodgy looking Portuguese guys...
Very dodgy.....
Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #45
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Tim, your pictures are amazing!

I didn't know you were exploring the tracks in your Jeep - do the same recommendations apply to trail driving, i.e. you shouldn't do it on your own?

Thanks for the additional info about Chaves; I saw the castle and the former cathedral when riding past and regretted that we didn't have more time there. With its thermal springs, the amenities and all the bike dealers Chaves has now made it into the top 3 of places where we would consider living in Portugal...

Hope you had a good weekend in Jerez!