User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
ry8762 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Calais to Pyrenees

Im getting desperate now with way to much to do before i leave in less than a week but our plans have changed now and instead of getting the ferry to Santander we are now trekking through france so can anyone please recommend a route down to the Westish side of the Pyrenees (Pamplona to be exact) that is "biker" friendly without all the tolls and major roads that does not go off track to much?

I have been advised to do the toll roads (fastest route) to Limoges and then take the N21 from there but i would rather find something a little more interesting if anyone can chip in please? or better still a gpx would be great!

Regs

Ryan
ry8762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry8762 View Post
Im getting desperate now with way to much to do before i leave in less than a week but our plans have changed now and instead of getting the ferry to Santander we are now trekking through france so can anyone please recommend a route down to the Westish side of the Pyrenees (Pamplona to be exact) that is "biker" friendly without all the tolls and major roads that does not go off track to much?

I have been advised to do the toll roads (fastest route) to Limoges and then take the N21 from there but i would rather find something a little more interesting if anyone can chip in please? or better still a gpx would be great!

Regs

Ryan
I checked ViaMichelin and it says 1200 kms on the autoroutes or departmentals, but the dif is 12 hours vs. 17. Take the time estimations cautiously off the autoroutes because weather, roads works, traffic densities, and getting lost a bit, can be a bugger. Always try to avoid Paris in either case if pos even if you have to do a wide detour.

My suggestion: from Calais to Tours on the A16/A28 autoroute is much less stressing because the traffic normally flows well. From Tours take the D943 to Chateauroux and then pick up the A20 to Brive (no tolls), jump off onto the N820 to Montauban. From there, go cross country on D928, not thrilling but pleasant riding to Auch then the N21 to Lourdes. Here's the best riding: go to Argeles-Gazost, pick up D918 to 934 north to Arudy and back onto 918 to the 933, then south to St. Jean Pied-de-Port and over the hill down to Pamplona. Rain is not out of the question so be prepared.

PS, I don't know what a gpx is.

Good riding!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,643
As RT Lover says..he knows his stuff.....or carrying on from Lourdes to Argeles Gazost to Col du Soulor to Col d'Aubisque to Eaux Bonnes (tour de France routes)to Col de Pourtalet to Jaca Spain and to Pamplona...all are cracking local scenic roads for me and the Spanish ones are a frequent Sunday ride out.

If you ned to know anything else about the region I have mentioned by all means just ask.

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post
As RT Lover says..he knows his stuff.....or carrying on from Lourdes to Argeles Gazost to Col du Soulor to Col d'Aubisque to Eaux Bonnes (tour de France routes)to Col de Pourtalet to Jaca Spain and to Pamplona...all are cracking local scenic roads for me and the Spanish ones are a frequent Sunday ride out.

If you ned to know anything else about the region I have mentioned by all means just ask.

Thanks for the compliment.