ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
Knoxville isn't bad traffic. It's pretty good, very good I would say.

Willis Cycle Works is definitely a good mechanic, Bryan is a great guy and does work for a fair price and great quality.

Lots of Mountain Biking in the area, also have a lot of road races/organized rides. Just got done doing support for the 3 state/3 mountain challenge in Chattanooga and their is a big one that does the skyway/dragon. There is still a ton of cycle hate in the Knoxville area though.

Plenty of great hiking in the GSMNP/surrounding area, fly fishing is superb in the area, and bass fishing is supposedly really good as well.

Downtown Knoxville is pretty bleh compared to the other cities you mentioned, but the downtown of any of the cities in this area are not the reason I live in East Tenn. Food will probably be one of the main things you miss. Knoxville is very much a chain restaurant town. I think it use to be and may still be the city with the most chain restaurants per person. There is a few decent places, but for the most part quality level will be way below what you can get in NYC.

Our local board has slowed considerably, but it is still worth a check and you can meet up with some good riders in the area. easttnriders.com
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
hey thanks. Yeah, I know I'm gonna miss the food here. I live in an out of the way, relatively low population part of brooklyn, and I still have about 15 AMAZING restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk from my place. it'll take some getting used to, but I'm pretty ready for the tradeoffs. paying 1650 a month of a 600 sq ft 2 br (bedrooms jsut barely big enough for a bed and dresser) 4th floor apt is the pits, and i'm sick of it. 45 minute pothole ridden drive through urban hell to get to a decent grocery store, and then paying $150/wk for two people to eat decently. people get shot or run over by cabs in my neighborhood several times a month. two people have been killed on their motos by cabs that didnt stop for lights at the same intersection a block from my apartment in the last month. I dont even ride here anymore.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #18
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

In Knoxville tonight and tomorrow. Anything I should check out?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #19
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
FYI:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2014/ma...al-day-events/
Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #20
RockBreaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
In Knoxville tonight and tomorrow. Anything I should check out?

Major bicycle race in Chatt this weekend...
RockBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks, guys, I ended up just hanging out with some friends, and going swimming in a quarry. Back in Brooklyn now. Knoxville's good. peaceful, green, cheap, and pretty. I'm into it. Tried to go to Time Warp Tea Room, but there was a sign up that said "Gone Rideing." looked like a neat place, though. lots of homeless in that part of town, huh?

Old City Java is good coffee. Didn't get a chance to check out any other food, etc. Stayed with some friends in South Knoxville, couldn't believe how much land they had for the money. Wish I was moving sooner. prob be back in a month or two, hopefully on a bike this time.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #22
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Dredging up this slightly old thread... getting closer to the move. Wondering, are there good known mechanics for Guzzis, Ducs, old bmws? Looked and didnt see much.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 722
How old on the beamers?
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

airheads. air-cooled guzzis, too.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #25
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 201
Call DST. If anyone knows of a mechanic for such things in the area, they would. I know they've got a couple air heads.

http://webstore.dualsporttouring.com/

(865) 995-9505
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #26
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks, man.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #27
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
Call DST. If anyone knows of a mechanic for such things in the area, they would. I know they've got a couple air heads.

http://webstore.dualsporttouring.com/

(865) 995-9505
Hey, that's us! Thanks Patrick.

There are quite a few independent mechanics in this area, but one of the best Airhead guys around is Ed Huey at Huey's Cycle Service. (865) 201-6655 . He's also excellent with all the newer stuff as well. He's worked on both our airheads, my wifes F650 Dakar and my GSA.

The last time I was over there he had three of the Law Enforcement R1200RTP's in for service.

Next time you are in the area feel free to drop by the shop to say hello. There is a pretty active BMW community here, and my wife and I are the Co-Presidents of the BMW Riders of Knoxville. http://www.bmwrok.org

If you have any questions about the area feel free to PM me directly.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #28
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
Hey, that's us! Thanks Patrick.

peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #29
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Anyone have leads on finding work in the area? Craigslist doesnt seem to be very popular there. I'm a vintage moto mechanic, also have an absolute ton of experience in fabrication. Wood, metal, plastics, CAD, CNC, laser, project management, design, etc. any help much appreciated. Start date can be anytime from a week or so from now until mid January.

thanks!