Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #31
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vaquero View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 690 is a bad bike, it just doesn't fill the void that adv riders are looking for that a 790/890 in adv and R models would/will. Remember, it comes down to sales in the big picture.

All the "what KTM should build" is probably a mute point now anyways because what ever this mid level model is, is probably well in the works by now.
^^^^This.

The 690 enduro is an awesome bike. You know what it isn't? A direct competitor to the F800GS / Tiger 800 XC. And the way those 2 models sell, KTM sorely needs a bike in that market range.

The 690 is a niche market bike - very specialized. It falls right between the EXC line and the F800/Tiger800 "80/20" bikes. If KTM builds a baby adventure to compete in that space, I'll be buying one.
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #32
noxious1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
yep, they have a guaranteed sale for my wife if they build a direct competitor for the Triumph/BMW 800's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
^^^^This.

The 690 enduro is an awesome bike. You know what it isn't? A direct competitor to the F800GS / Tiger 800 XC. And the way those 2 models sell, KTM sorely needs a bike in that market range.

The 690 is a niche market bike - very specialized. It falls right between the EXC line and the F800/Tiger800 "80/20" bikes. If KTM builds a baby adventure to compete in that space, I'll be buying one.
noxious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #33
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Have you seen a 1190 parked next to an 800gs? They have remarkably similar dimensions

I'd also like to see a <400 lb lightweight twin with a fairing and lots of fuel capacity but doubt we'll see it.
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #34
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
^^^^This.

Do you guys

Shoot?
Surf?
Golf?

Can't use one hammer for all jobs...

no way around it....you need a Driver a 3 wood and a Wedge..
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #35
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Do you guys

Shoot?
Surf?
Golf?

Can't use one hammer for all jobs...

no way around it....you need a Driver a 3 wood and a Wedge..
You know...the more bikes I ride, the more I think you may very well be right.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #36
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Man I wish KTM would just make a version of Lyndon Poskitt's recent Races to Places build (picture link borrowed from his blog):

I think Lyndon used a 640 motor with vacuum pump and carb to keep the bike simple. This bike would be so easy for KTM to build, but they just don't think the market is there for the bike. I think a consumer version of that bike would sell so well.
They do/did its called a 690 rallye,hes got smaller rear tank on his than the oem.The first version of this bike was 07 till 09/10....nothing new,41mm fcr std,few differences in engine/suspension.....awesome bike

johnno950 screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 12:38 AM
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #37
Tim Cullis OP
Partially heighted

Oddometer: 263
I had missed the news release of the 500/800cc parallel twins, but these sound a long way off, and it looks like they are intended at least initially for the Indian market. Similarly the 390 Adventure which promises to be quite a lardy little beast.

If the bike is going to be at EICMA I don't see much alternative to the V-twin 990cc. I suppose (sigh) this would be targeted at the F800GS and Tiger 800 XC, so more of a soft roader than something that interests me.

Yes, the 690 Enduro might be a niche bike but it's the one that interests me most and last year I rode Aberdeen in Scotland to London in one day (550 miles) so it can be used for long distance stuff. This was a standard bike with just KTM's useless 'touring' windscreen and an AirHawk saddle.