Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
JoeShoreline OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
How About What You LIKE About Your 1190R?

It seems like we only focus on the problems we have with the new 1190. How about what we love about it?
JoeShoreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,261
Here are 200 pages

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938569
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784473
Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Escaping the rat race for a few
Days at a time............ Popping wheelies, drifting, jumping, and even cruising to Starbucks!
trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,570
Its the first bike I ever owned that makes me feel invincible on shitty roads. Intentionally drifting around wet, gravelly or even dry corners is not my usual riding habit or best skill set, but this bike makes it like cheating. The power is so massive yet controllable its remarkable. The suspension is every bit its equal. The harder you ride it, the better it feels.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
davehg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I like that mine showed up today at the dealer after several months of waiting, and at the same time as the Unifilter and Black Dog skid plates arrived.
davehg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Its the first bike I ever owned that makes me feel invincible on shitty roads. Intentionally drifting around wet, gravelly or even dry corners is not my usual riding habit or best skill set, but this bike makes it like cheating. The power is so massive yet controllable its remarkable. The suspension is every bit its equal. The harder you ride it, the better it feels.
Fully agreed my friend
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 393
  • Powerful and smooth 140 bhp+ Vee twin engine, class leading for 1200cc Adv bikes
  • Good fuel economy (40 mpg UK gallons) compared with other 140 bhp+ 'bikes
  • First class brakes / ABS - controlled stopping distance shorter than similar 'bikes
  • Superb fully adjustable suspension made by WP
  • User friendly instrument display and controls, full "Enduro" options as standard
  • Narrow profile - easy to filter/ split lanes in traffic
  • Conti Trail Attack tyres - graded rubber - great for grip and handling on road, quite good off road
  • Good availability and range of accessories in Europe (USA problems noted)
  • Good value compared with an R1200GS of same spec/ accessories
  • Good warranty, dealer network and support in Europe (USA problems noted)
  • Very comfortable rider and passenger seating (Ergo seats)
  • Weather and wind protection is good for an Adv 'bike
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
KTMSMITH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
As a Super Enduro owner I seriously questioned the need or wisdom of an 1190R, but a buddy brought his over for me to test ride.... 30 minutes later I knew he just cost me a butt load of cash. The Super Enduro was gone 2 weeks later. I only contemplated keeping it because of its uniqueness not because of any real superiority in performance compared to the 1190...in fact the 1190R only gives up a little to the SE on technical riding....a simple matter of physics. On the road the 1190R crushes the SE...dirt roads and 2 tracks.....it's a toss up in my mind. For me, the gain in asphalt/dirt road performance more than offsets the SE's advantage in the most technical riding situations.... which I typically defer to one of the other steeds in my stable for anyway.

KTMSMITH screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 07:32 AM
KTMSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I think this thread is a great idea, and folks who are looking at the bikes and see us complaining may miss what awesome bikes they are. I would buy it again in a second.

I did not start out as an orange lover, in fact my last bike was a gsxr 1000. While it was a really amazing bike, riding it was not putting a smile on my face. Putting around on my old cb400 in the backroads was fun, but my latest bike was like taking a lamborghini through a mcdonalds drive through. It was a great bike, but did not feel right until 100mph.

So in searching for a new bike i had only one criteria -- fun. It was very hard to quantify and some very non scientific criteria. I am a believer that its more fun to drive a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

I ended up zeroing in on adventure bikes, because riding dirt bikes on the street sounded like fun. I thought i was going to get a new vstrom 1000, but found the bike disappointing. I saw the new ktm and loved it, but had a concern that it had too much power related to my elusive goal of fun.

But the more i thought about it the more i wanted it and i went with my heart and bought it. I am sooooooooo incredibly happy i did, and I like my bike more the more I ride it.

In terms of power, it has less than my last bike, but most notably a heavier flywheel and completely different feel. In a word i love it and do not find it overpowered (in relation to fun). The engine is strong, but you can grab handfuls of throttle and the bike pulls nicely. When you want or need that rush then it has a nice top end as well.

The bike makes me smile like no bike i have ever had. It does everything, bang corners like a sportbike, i can lean it down to the edge of tread and feel it squirm. I can click the adjustable suspension and put miles on the highway in total comfort.

And i have explored trails near my house and crossed mud and rock sections. The bike is amazing, and opens new possibilities and is better at the real world than anything. It also has a ton of character.

For $70 i fixed the achilles heel which is the air filter, and have no problems. I am even drinking my coffee out of a ktm mug as I write this.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Boats69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11

Looks cool, goes great and makes me feel as if I know what I am doing ...

Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
Paulev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
KTM 1190 voted best Adventure bike

In a poll of Adventure Bike Rider magazine readers, the KTM 1190 came out top with 32% of votes compared to 27% for the new BMW GSA. In the same magazine they did a back to back test of both bikes and concluded that the BMW was a slightly better on road tourer. Get on the rough stuff and the KTM knocked into the weeds.

I love everything about my 1190R. Power, handling on and off road, build quality all perfect for me.
Paulev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
2wdrift
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Power
Handling
Manageable
Scary yet controlled
Restrained madness

And I love the fact that it can be controlled offroad in sport mode with the MSC off, it does not Fu(k out like I was expecting. Just brilliant controlled slides in any gear, the handling is really superb.
2wdrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
2wdrift
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenstop View Post
I think this thread is a great idea, and folks who are looking at the bikes and see us complaining may miss what awesome bikes they are. I would buy it again in a second.

I did not start out as an orange lover, in fact my last bike was a gsxr 1000. While it was a really amazing bike, riding it was not putting a smile on my face. Putting around on my old cb400 in the backroads was fun, but my latest bike was like taking a lamborghini through a mcdonalds drive through. It was a great bike, but did not feel right until 100mph.

So in searching for a new bike i had only one criteria -- fun. It was very hard to quantify and some very non scientific criteria. I am a believer that its more fun to drive a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

I ended up zeroing in on adventure bikes, because riding dirt bikes on the street sounded like fun. I thought i was going to get a new vstrom 1000, but found the bike disappointing. I saw the new ktm and loved it, but had a concern that it had too much power related to my elusive goal of fun.

But the more i thought about it the more i wanted it and i went with my heart and bought it. I am sooooooooo incredibly happy i did, and I like my bike more the more I ride it.

In terms of power, it has less than my last bike, but most notably a heavier flywheel and completely different feel. In a word i love it and do not find it overpowered (in relation to fun). The engine is strong, but you can grab handfuls of throttle and the bike pulls nicely. When you want or need that rush then it has a nice top end as well.

The bike makes me smile like no bike i have ever had. It does everything, bang corners like a sportbike, i can lean it down to the edge of tread and feel it squirm. I can click the adjustable suspension and put miles on the highway in total comfort.

And i have explored trails near my house and crossed mud and rock sections. The bike is amazing, and opens new possibilities and is better at the real world than anything. It also has a ton of character.

For $70 i fixed the achilles heel which is the air filter, and have no problems. I am even drinking my coffee out of a ktm mug as I write this.
I agree that the bike is awesome, but the fact that we focus on the problems we experience with the bikes is very important for potential owners.

We also do not only focus on the negative but we also provide a way for others to avoid the problems we have by preventative maintenance like the uni filter, thus saving the next guys from sitting next to the road like some of us did.

I do not intend any offence.

All in all the 1190R is an awesome bike when it works.

2wdrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
Fully agreed my friend
Old 05-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
That about says it for me.