Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I can honestly say it is the best all around bike I have ever ridden. I had a 990 which was fantastic, but lacked the power to make me smile in the twisties. For that I had a CBR1000. I traded both the 990 and the CBR for the 1190 and do not regret it one bit. the power and road manners of the 1190 are fantastic!
The only problem I have had with the 1190 is a little dust in the airbox (remedied with the Uni filter). Everyone who rides it comes back with the same stupid smile on their face, the love it too. If yo are considering one I would do it!!
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 956
Howdy Orange Crush Folks!! This is my first AA......I mean Orange Crush post

Sooooo I'm looking at the 1190R as my first KTM and replacement for 1200GS.....yeah I know, keep it civil people (no mud throwing ), anyway I am conferring to this post and you fine folks to any post 1200GS riders who've made the switch and have comparisons and contrast with ownership of this fine steed. I like to travel and do a fair bit of off-road but that being said I'll ride this bike 3 states over to meet friends and go off-road and do weekend get-aways two up rides. Yes, I've read several other post and I know whats already been stated but I guess my questions focuses on reliability (post intake and MCT failure aside) and cost of ownership. My 1200GS cost about $250-$300 in parts to do it's 6000 mile services and for some reason I'm annoyed with it as I approach 60,000miles with that bike. I'm wondering what this bike is costing everyone for parts to do a regular service and are most people doing this themselves?

I don't want to take away from the focus of the OP and would like keep the things you LIKE about the 1190R going but just maybe if you can add to it with the above questions. Cheers.....
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Grundy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Maintenance

Having come from a 06 950A with 30k miles....

Oil changes are a treat. No more 2+ hour oil changes, Wrestling tweaked crashbars, tanks that have changed shape due to ethanol in the fuel and shrouds that don't fit quite right because the replacement aluminum thingy that holds the whole upper mess together isn't right.

Sight glass instead of a dipstick.

Those that are bitchin about the airfilter service need to work on a 950 for awhile.

In spite of being more labor intensive the ride of the 950 was worth the entry fee. I loved the bike. The 1190R is light years ahead in every area.
Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #19
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post
Having come from a 06 950A with 30k miles....

Oil changes are a treat. No more 2+ hour oil changes, Wrestling tweaked crashbars, tanks that have changed shape due to ethanol in the fuel and shrouds that don't fit quite right because the replacement aluminum thingy that holds the whole upper mess together isn't right.

Sight glass instead of a dipstick.

Those that are bitchin about the airfilter service need to work on a 950 for awhile.

In spite of being more labor intensive the ride of the 950 was worth the entry fee. I loved the bike. The 1190R is light years ahead in every area.
Concur. The 950 was not fun to work on.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
BlueDownton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Everything

I switched over from a 1200 GS, and I love everything about the bike. Don't get me wrong, the GS is a solid, solid bike. But on the dirt, it really is in a different league. Based on all the bikes on the market, we are pretty lucky to be riding one of these things. Couldn't be happier with it.
BlueDownton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I like how when the MTC is turned off and you give the bike a handful of gas and dump the clutch at 90kmph in 3rd gear it wheelies better than my Tiger 800XC did in 1st gear

Some of the warranty issues with the bike are annoying, and a bike of this caliber and cost should not have these issues. KTM need to sort their QC, but once those niggles are dealt with the bike really is so much fun to ride it makes it all worth while.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Bluesilver
Scrat

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
I like how when the MTC is turned off and you give the bike a handful of gas and dump the clutch at 90kmph in 3rd gear it wheelies better than my Tiger 800XC did in 1st gear

Some of the warranty issues with the bike are annoying, and a bike of this caliber and cost should not have these issues. KTM need to sort their QC, but once those niggles are dealt with the bike really is so much fun to ride it makes it all worth while.
Wait long enough, the MTC and ABS will fail then you can go Ape like I did

I wish I could share what I like about the 1190 but, it's at the dealers again, for repairs so.......have to read how others are enjoying defect free KTM biking, feel like I'm back on my 996SPS, no hang on that is not fair, my Duke only ever went in once for repairs.
Bluesilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #23
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
I've done 2 oil changes. Each one is a few minutes to do after stoping by Cycle Gear and picking up a 4 L can of the Motorex 10-50 good stuff ($71.00) and a K&N oil filter ($10.00). The service interval is 9300 miles, but I'm changing a bit more frequently (First at 150 m and second at 720 m, the next scheduled would be 10,000 m). I'm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
My 1200GS cost about $250-$300 in parts to do it's 6000 mile services and for some reason I'm annoyed with it as I approach 60,000miles with that bike. I'm wondering what this bike is costing everyone for parts to do a regular service and are most people doing this themselves?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #24
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I really liked that I rode my Adv R for the WHOLE DAY on Saturday, in dirt, mud, Tarmac and really pushed it, and it DIDN'T BREAK DOWN. Was such a pleasant surprise.

Well it got a flat tire, but I didn't blame the bike, and it wasn't a problem to fix it.

It's such a great bike when it goes.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #25
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
The Trail Attack 2 are pretty fragile tires. I had 2 punctures before I ditched them. Shame because I quite liked them as a 90/10 tire and they were wearing really well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #26
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
Wait long enough, the MTC and ABS will fail then you can go Ape like I did

I wish I could share what I like about the 1190 but, it's at the dealers again, for repairs so.......have to read how others are enjoying defect free KTM biking, feel like I'm back on my 996SPS, no hang on that is not fair, my Duke only ever went in once for repairs.
I feel for you. Had a 2007 Aprilia Tuono that I loved, but had so many issues with it I ended up giving back to the dealer with only 1,500 kms on it. Thing hardly ever started cause of electrical gremlins. I kinda wish I had kept it now, as I am sure I could have sorted the issues out over time, but it was my only means of transport at the time and I had to get to work and the bloody thing would not start half the time!

I have only had minor issues with the KTM, nothing that left me stranded, but I have had several issues (clutch cover pin hole leak, warped discs, loose head stock nut, service warning light as a result of the new year switch over in the clocks, dust in my air box and throttle bodies..fitted a unifilter). These issues were all handled really well by the dealer (except the airbox...I just sorted that myself) but that seems to be luck of the draw (good dealers I mean). This bike has too many issues for sure and KTM need to sort that out. The heat from under the seat is a real issue if you live in the tropics or a hot area. Not a deal breaker but bloody uncomfortable, which is stupid on a bike designed to travel long distances. Fixed it with Thaguas heat shields, but this is something KTM should have sorted themselves.

The bike really is so much fun to ride though...I have done tracks days, ridden jungle trails and tracks (and dropped it several times!), commuted, toured and got properly stuck in to the twisty bits (and managed to get it to 4th gear on the back wheel a couple times!) on it in the last 8,000km. I cannot think of any other bike that is as capable and fun in as many situations as my 1190 R. Yes the niggles need sorting, but the bike is worth the hassle of getting it sorted for me.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote