User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Gregcrna OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Cause prevention of Sore Neck after long(er) rides

When I ride longer than say 5 hours or so (esp after a long weekend of riding), my neck and shoulders become sore. I don't know if I'm holding my head up too high, the weight of the helmet or the "wind" pushing my head back and my muscles straining to hold it in place...!!!??? Mostly affects my right side...

Do any of you experience this? Causes, remedies, etc, much appreciated.
Greg
Gregcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,836
This is the wrong spot for the question.
Start a new thread in -The perfect line and other riding myths.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Gregcrna OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Wrong posting of messages

My goodness. How am I supposed to know what goes where?

The perfect line and riding myths???? Are there guidelines somewhere?

!!The questions pertains to actual riding and not a myth.
Gregcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 116
Oh what the hell, the Mod's will shift it or nuke it if it's that much of a problem being in the wrong place.

Greg, you are on the right track to be thinking of the kind of things you've mentioned. The thing is to try changing them one or two at a time and see what makes a difference.
You need to be very aware of what you're doing, how you're sitting and holding your head and all that. When you're out next, try adjustments to how your sitting and take notice of which muscles are tense and try to un-tense them.
The other thing to remember is that all the bits of your body are connected together, and the one which is hurting may not be the start of the problem. Neck and shoulder pain could be handle bar position causing your shoulders to be compensating for your arm reach or angle.
I've found that even things like being anxious about poor visibility or dodgy road surfaces can cause me to crane my neck a bit, which then gives me muscular pain between the shoulder blades!
So there you are, another excuse for a nice long ride - all in the cause of research of course.
Good Luck with it all.

Brian
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 377
What kind of helmet? What kind of bike?

You may get more of a response if someone has experience with your particular equipment.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Type of bike you're riding, what kind of Helmet, location you're riding in, windscreen, no windscreen, tall or short winscreen, rider body style and experience?
If you want real help you gotta give real information.

Short Answer, based on what you've told us so far, your a Fat Headed Weakling! Ride more!

Where I live there is a LOT of cross wind! It takes a while to build up enough stamina to deal with the whippin I get going places when it's blowing hard. Not to mention Shoulder Aches from fighting the handlebars all day.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
travis789
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
neck pain

I had a bout of it this spring. I went riding in early April and it was pretty cold. I left early and it didn't get over 40F all day. Riding a DR350S for about 5 hours that day, some highway but mostly forest service/ fire roads. Maybe it was too much at the start of the season? At any rate my neck got stiff about 4 hours in, which left me about 1 and 1/2 hours from home. Got home and tried everything over the counter, it didn't go away so after a month I went to the dr and got muscle relaxants and mild pain killers. But I have disc problems anyway, so its happened before, probably happen again. Its gone now.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,583
Some people have lower back problems and can't rest on their tailbone, so sport bikes are better than cruisers/standards.

Some people have shoulder/wrist problems and can't hump a sport bike so a standard or cruiser better suits them.

You can have up and back bar extenders, try different handlebars altogether, try aftermarket seats, beads (not those kind ), sheepskin, etc.

I have an issue where I simply hold my neck high up and not even. No reason to do it, I just do, and that hurts. My neck/shoudlers hurt if I have to extend my arms to far forward, so I'm looking into pro-taper bars that extend up and can be rotated back a bit. Also look into helibars.

But if you are riding a crotch rocket and your shoulders hurts it's because you are resting your weight on your wrists/shoulders, be conscious of using your lower back instead.

Also, free things to do are stretches before riding and throughout the day, take rests a bit more frequently (even walking for 1 minute is huge), work out your shoulders/lower back so they are stronger.

Welcome to the insanity
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Take aspirin before a long ride...

I am 65 y/o and am in the process of discovering new pains the last couple years. I use a gym about 5 days per week to keep up enough strength to pick up my bike when I drop it on some dirt path. My gym routine surfaced a new pain in my left shoulder from a 35 year old fracture. I had it examined and they told me it was early arthritis (which is what the docs said would happen 35 years ago). That was late last year. This year I rode a couple of dual sport rides. These were docile things. Not much challenge at all. Both times my wrists were hurting after about 6 hours. My right wrist in particular. Both wrists were fractured in my youth. I figure arthritis is getting to them too.

Several years ago I played a lot of golf. The common drill among golfers is to take a pain killer for each 9 holes. I used aspirin and it worked well. I am going to try that for my motorcycling too. At least the long trips that require several hours in the saddle.

Being a seasonal rider, I also learned that it takes some riding early in the season to build up certain muscle strengths to diminish cramping in some muscle groups. For me it is always hand cramps. On a 10 day trip I suffer for the first two days.

I ride mostly dual sport motorcycles.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Advil + watch your posture + stretch at stop + tweak handlebars if needed.

I find all of these necessary on multi-day, >500 mile/day trips. Look up some good stretches, make sure to hold them for 30 seconds, or however long the instructions say. Stretch before rides too. This depends on the bike, but if you're leaning forward, hold the bike tighter with your knees and loosely with your hands.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,385
You'll toughen up.