User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,313
One Hundred Yards of Mud

Here we are in sunny South Australia experiencing a very unseasonal period of great weather - why not go for a ride??

How could we have known that 100 yards of mud was going to change everything.....

Couple of PM's, posts, phone messages and emails and suddenly there's a tidy little group of seven looking for a day out on the trails.

Where to? Well that's easy, Truro has to be in the mix somewhere. Not because it's the epicentre of any particularly good tracks but because the bakery is so bloody good. The Cornish pasties, chocolate donuts and coffee and to die for. So that's it then, somehow we're going to ride for a couple of hours north to Truro and then a couple of hours back again via another route.

TheDecepticon and his lad Cale are coming from western suburbs Adelaide on their DR650 and XR600 , BarneyRubble from northern suburbs on his XT660Z Tenere, Doctor John and Doctor Simon are Gawler locals on their new BMW1200GS's, as am I (Tiger 800) and Pbee from Kersbrook way on his Tiger 800, is going to meet us enroute.

The main group meet at Gawler at 0845 today (17 May) but I have to be back in Gawler at 1000 for a meeting I can't get out of, so I'm going to lead the guys to meet PBee and then bail to the meeting and catch up at Truro.

I manage to find a little bit of muddy water and introduce the fresh and clean Bimmer's and the DR & XR to a new colour scheme.

We ride into Lyndoch via the dirt and then up towards Trial Hill...The Barossa is basking in this fine weather....

We catch up with Pbee at the top of the hill and I leave everyone in his capable hands to sort my obligations and see them later.

After I leave Gawler for the second time I slab it to Truro and just manage to order my early lunch when I hear the others arriving from their trails, tracks and other slippery patches.

We eat well and then get ready to do it all again....

Pbee leads us out on some nice tracks which deteriorate into some knarly uphill ruts and tree roots battle which then descends into wash outs and more tree roots garnished with some rocks - great stuff, and the Tiger is at home in this stuff....it's me that's the problem.

Everything is going pretty well and then PBee turns a corner and at reasonably high speed finds a little mud to contend with....throttle and balance gets him out, and the two Bimmers are right behind and TheDecepticon is doing okay too.

I'm travelling behind Cale and the next thing the XR is upside down, inside out and he's laying in the mud. He rights himself and then bike, but not before I managed to get a shot off.....and struggles to get moving in the sticky but slippery Barossa clay.

Good old BarneyRubble jumps off the Tenere to help out but the bike's going nowhere, the brake lever has locked on with mud and poor Cale has to get on it to kick it into life but it's not going to start easily. I race off to alert the others and the Tiger manages itself in this 100 yards of mud quite well.

I wait with the leaders of the group and see that the group with the XR are inspecting it for some extended time and then BarneyRubble jumps on the Tenere to join us. Then it happened!

The Tenere hit the last 5 yards of that mud and decided it was not going to play. It bucked and jumped and lowsided itself into a fairly deep mudhole. BR became a passenger and landed doing the sidestroke. I just managed to get the camera out and snap off a couple of shots as he tried to break the Olympic Record for dead lifting a heavy bike before Trev gets the camera out - too late.

But he did win the contest for 'Let's see who can get the most mud on them".

Is that a look of concern on Simon's face or maybe a little snigger at the demise of the XR and Tenere???

But closer inspection of the XR revelas that the innocent little drop has broken the frame just in front of the peg and shows that there has been some botched work in the past which will need to be remedied...

Anyway, we move on and BR does nothing but complain that the wet and cold mud has made it all the way through to his skin and now he's getting cold!!!!!

Another creek crossing to get through and we're heading home....I'm at the ready should there be any mishaps.....

We get back to Gawler after nearly five hours of fun and laughter with about 200 kms under the belt I reckon.

Everyone splits and heads their own ways but PBee, BR and I need to discss a ride later in the year so we head to my place. It becomes apparent just how much mud BR is removing from the Barossa...

We sit out the back of my place and BR lays his wet and muddy jacket down on the lawn rather than mess up my outdoor setting...but my daughter's dog, who loves smelly and dirty things, finds himself a little place to have a nap......

What was it that Greek bloke said "Just 100 yards of mud" - or something like that...

Good day out guys, thanks.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 03:34 AM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
bikeroz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
that last pic is gold.
bikeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
drblue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
great ride report Trev
the first photo is of the first water I took the DR through. to this day I still have great memories of that area

Michael
drblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeroz View Post
that last pic is gold.
He's just one of those dogs who does very funny things....very good attitude too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblue View Post
great ride report Trev
the first photo is of the first water I took the DR through. to this day I still have great memories of that area

Michael
Thanks mate, I remember that ride Michael, and even though we go back there quite often it still throws up little surprises........as today!!

"Just having a crack"
Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeroz View Post
that last pic is gold.
roger that
Old 05-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblue View Post
great ride report Trev

Michael
Michael, Trev takes everyone through that muddy puddle, I have a photo he got of me in the same one.

Good report Trev & perfect timing with the camera as per normal, on another note that is a common place for XR frames to crack, must be a weak spot.

Would have loved to joined you today but had home duties to do !!!

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Yeah, that patch of water is a great way to start the ride through the Barossa, especially for people who haven't ridden the area before, they sort of expect it get worse - and clearly today it did!!!!

"Just having a crack"
Old 05-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
barneyrubble
Just tired

Oddometer: 456
Awesome day out. Big thanks to trev and PBee for showing us some great tracks

I like to take more than pictures home with after a ride in the Barossa. Today's vintage was about 2kgs of mud.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #9
TerryK
Ulysses

They ready stuffed up Corryton park road for us just round the corner from here.
It was one of my favorite roads, progress I guess but a pity anyhow

Old 05-17-2014, 03:35 AM   #10
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Great RR there Big Fella. Must get down there one day for one of them rides.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
Great RR there Big Fella. Must get down there one day for one of them rides.
Now, where have I heard that before????

"Just having a crack"
Old 05-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
TheDecepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Great ride report, Trev, and a great day out!

Thanks to PBee for the guide and to my lad Cale(Bunny Slayer) and Barney Rubble for the entertainment.

Nice to meet everyone and hope to catch you all on the dirt again somewhere.
TheDecepticon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #13
TheDecepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Michael, Trev takes everyone through that muddy puddle, I have a photo he got of me in the same one.

Good report Trev & perfect timing with the camera as per normal, on another note that is a common place for XR frames to crack, must be a weak spot.

Would have loved to joined you today but had home duties to do !!!

Terry
Hi Terry,

Any other thoughts or more info regarding the XR and repairs/mods. The other side does not look too good either.

Cheers.
TheDecepticon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #14
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,527
Another great job of being at the right place at the right time Trev.

All I can say is ................. I'm glad I wasn't there .

As you know my focus is now riding these roads in July:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/northern-ireland/27446317

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:10 AM   #15
TerryK
Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecepticon View Post
Hi Terry,

Any other thoughts or more info regarding the XR and repairs/mods. The other side does not look too good either.

Cheers.
May be just a case of finding a good welder to repair it, my XR400R looked like it was cracked but it was just a bad weld, I've heard of plenty of XR600 & XR650 footpegs breaking off.

If you find a welder ask him if you need to remove the engine, it may be required to complete the job correctly.

PBee might know a welder that could carry out the repair, you could also check out this forum, have a look for the XR section of ADVrider

Terry