User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #16
Czark9
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Grip n ride

For what it is worth, I use a jet ski passenger belt called the grip n ride for the sport bike when there is a passenger involved. It won't prevent falling asleep, but allows the passenger a firm grip to handles, instead of trying to hug me and hold on for dear life.
Czark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
luca9277
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
My 6 year old daughter riding with me. Help!

Being italian i can tell taking the young ones to school on a Vespa, scooter or motorcycle is quite common over there, I have seen a few using this GIVI seat for their kids.. I have no personal experience with it but it looks like he can do the job.

http://www.givi.it/motorbike-accesso...20-Baby%20Ride

luca9277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #18
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca9277 View Post
Being italian i can tell taking the young ones to school on a Vespa, scooter or motorcycle is quite common over there, I have seen a few using this GIVI seat for their kids.. I have no personal experience with it but it looks like he can do the job.

http://www.givi.it/motorbike-accesso...20-Baby%20Ride

The bare skin on the kids right leg is looking awfully close to that muffler....
Home - East Kootenay Adventure Riders
Getting Ready - Prep for Rocky and Uly

CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,012
My buddy started his daughter with this harness she wore, that was attached to him.
and communication packs are not $1000.00. You can get the Sean SHM10 dual pack for $300

At what age she starts is up to you, and maybe state laws.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
chambersc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmedic View Post
Need some thoughts here. To stay on track I just want to be clear on one thing; we all have different views on situations such as this. Furthermore, I am a firefighter/paramedic and was a FlightMedic, (for 22 years experience). I am acutely aware of the risks posed not only to her but myself and choose to live a life with mitigated risk. So if you have a thought as to my suitability as a parent, please move on. This is not a debatable issue.
No input because I dont have kids that young, but preach on. Its your kid, its your call, and as a former ALS Medic I'm with you. Its your choice and I wish I had been on the back at that age.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #21
modestmuscle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
So nice to see others ride with there kids.

I would say communication is the biggest thing. My daughter just lets me know when she is feeling sleepy and we start to talk about whatever we see.

One of my earliest childhood memories is on the back of a bike (Age 7-8, don't know for sure)

My daughter and I have done a couple of 350+ days and she loves it almost as much as me. We listen to music as well, but that doesn't keep her awake.

Check out the scala rider G9x, they are great for music and you can interrupt the music to talk.

Thank you for sharing your concerns about young passengers. This has been one of the biggest discussions in my marriage, as my wife does not really agree with our daughter riding on my bike.

I also think the top box with back rest is a great idea.

A good reminder to validate your assumption. Just because what you are seeing fits with your theory doesn’t mean you’re right. It’s always worth taking a step back to assess the situation a bit more even if you think you know what the problem is.

Baby steps are easy for everyone but the baby.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
My daughter can't wait to ride with me but right now (almost 5) she is a spaz. She doesn't understand or desire to sit still and has no fear of anything. She can almost reach the foot pegs and when she can, we will do some short rides. I can't imagine doing 300+ miles though. I'm not even sure how I'd get her on/off a bike as tall as the GS without help. The Harley is better suited for doing this with the rear floorboards, wrap around backrest and low height that allows better control while loading a kid on/off.

I really like that givi kids seat but my wife says "hell no!"... although she's fine with her riding normal and not 'attached' to the bike or me when she's big enough to reach. I'm not sure I'd want anyone attached to the bike or me in the event of a crash.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
riding kids

My daughter rode on my bikes when she was young. On and off road. Just remember if you ride you will crash. Make sure your kid is ready for that with the gear. And have fun. Of course this is America so you should be able to do whatever you want. Richard.
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
nadredrum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I haven't taken my daughter on the road yet, wife says no. But if your going to do 350 miles, I would consider planning stops every hour or so to get off the bike move around, it may help your daughter stay awake and make the ride more enjoyable.
nadredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
Adventure Trio
Wandering

Oddometer: 578
Great to hear of others out with their kids.

My son started riding with me at the age of 5.....just short trips around town. I did locate proper riding gear for him before setting out. At the time the only thing available that was to my spec was a suit that BMW made but has since been discontinued. That being said, there are some great options for good kid gear today such as http://www.kinderriderinc.com

We used a child riding belt that I was able to order from Canada http://www.t-jridingbelts.net/id54.html

as they were not yet sold in the US. This was a great setup for around town and back and forth to school. When we eventually decided to hit the road on longer trips I ordered a U shaped duffel bag that gave him a backrest and sides to make us both comfortable that all would be good if he got sleepy.....they do that. The best one we found so far is made by Giant Loop

Long story short he's been riding with me since then all over the US and Canada with my wife on her own GS. It's all about your comfort level with riding with your kid as well as risk management. It's a personal choice and very rewarding.

A comm system does keep them engaged as they do need that when they are young. We have had some amazing conversations while on the road that would have never happened in a car or just sitting around the house. Well worth it in my opinion.

Here's a shot of us a few years later. https://www.facebook.com/adventuretr...type=3&theater

Feel free to hit me up with any other questions.

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #26
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco888 View Post
1- intercom to check on them, keep a conversation and get a feeling how are they doing
2- trunk with a back rest
3- make sure they can get to the pegs (safety and legal issues)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Agreed, and If I may add, I used to squeeze my daughters knee every 10-15 min and ask how she was. It kept her awake.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #27
WillieDo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
might help

http://www.childridingbelt.com/enghowto.htm
WillieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #28
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
The topic just came up on another forum. A lot depends upon the child. There are belts available for the driver with some loops/straps on the back for the child to hold on. But the child needs to be able to know and tell they are getting tired and want to stop.

In my country they recently changed the law and now children can ride along on motorcycles as from 8 years instead of 12.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #29
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 419
Proper riding gear and intercom system really helped my 8 year old daughter stay awake an engaged, plus I would stop every hour for a break. We have done several long days riding and she is a great passenger.
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #30
Meromorph
Expat Brit in TN.

Oddometer: 139
http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.a...FW4R7AodUgIAIQ
They ship to the US...

Note that the child is not fastened to the seat or the motorcycle.
Meromorph is offline   Reply With Quote