Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #31
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio View Post
My son started riding with me at the age of 5.....just short trips around town. I did locate proper riding gear for him before setting out. At the time the only thing available that was to my spec was a suit that BMW made but has since been discontinued. That being said, there are some great options for good kid gear today such as http://www.kinderriderinc.com

We used a child riding belt that I was able to order from Canada http://www.t-jridingbelts.net/id54.html

as they were not yet sold in the US. This was a great setup for around town and back and forth to school.
-Terry
Thats the riding belt I have for my daughter. She has low muscle tone, so she still wears it even though she is 11. Works fine up to 4'6" or so.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #32
flightmedic OP
Quiet desperation

Oddometer: 93
Really appreciate all the advice. I really like the givi seat option that came up. As she has two younger brothers, (4 & 3) I could see that thing getting some serious usage over the coming years!

I guess with her what really surprised me was she fell asleep on the way home from a relatives house, (about 45 mins). I know I said it was to be expected but she surprised me. She was one of those babies who never needed sleep and still doesn't:). However I cannot blame her as there is a soothing thrum from these bikes. I have heard the siren song myself.

My wife is a very trusting women. She had conceptions already in place prior to our marriage, (guns and motorcycles). Motorcycles scared her, (she is an ER nurse) and Guns were not an option were we to be wedded in matrimonially bliss. After a couple rides on my old RS, she realized that I was a sane and competent rider and became hooked quickly. She knows that our kids are my world and I take their safety very safely.

That being said she offered some sage advice in that a 80 mile trip would be the same as my 350 mile trip in my daughters head. I think we will start there and see how it goes. Maybe take some light tackle and do some creek chubbing for our upcoming fishing season?

Now that I am headed in the right direction on this, I need to go clean my guns :)
flightmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I fail to understand folks making a big thing about kids on motorcycles. Just do it.

Where I come from (grew up on a farm in NZ) kids ride pillion before they go to school. Many get going on two wheels themselves when they are quite young, and that includes carrying pillions. I started riding a bicycle when I was 7. I was eleven when we got a farm motorcycle, and I was soon riding it, and carrying my up to 8 years younger siblings. Some kids start riding much younger on mini bikes.

The sooner kids get on a motorcycle the sooner they get used to it, and they take to it quite quickly.

Where I live at present youngsters on motorcycles is normal.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #34
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Re: Bluetooth intercoms: Not to push a brand or site, but competition accessories just sent me an email today, a pair of Sena SMH10s for $250; the SMH5 dual pack is under $200.

(I suspect they're blowing them out waiting for the new 20S to come in, which has longer range- not an issue for the OP.)
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #35
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
I have Midland coms, they work well. Having a comm set is huge. I am always patting their legs and such, but just yapping away is nice. My younger son would give a running commentary of traffic that got a little tiring, but I always knew when he was up. Now he's starting to ride on his own, so it will be bike-to-bike. I can't wait. He's the only person I know who talks more than me.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #36
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,263
Work up to the longer 350 mile ride. Get her acclimated to being a passenger on the bike in small doses. Let her find out what her limits are, and see how she adapts with practice. It'll be new to her and she has a lot of learning to do (as do both of you).

You have a good approach to the situation. I would be more inclined to having seat that she can settle into rather that strapping er down. And footpegs/ footboards, for legal reasons.

My 2c, FWIW.

--Bill
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #37
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
I fail to understand folks making a big thing about kids on motorcycles.......Where I live at present youngsters on motorcycles is normal.
In both of those pictures the child is sitting in front of the adult. If the adult where to apply the brakes in a panic situation, the child does not have the upper body strength to grab the handle bars to prevent themselves from going over the top of the bars. The child not wearing a helmet would almost certainly land on its head and end up with a significant head injury. The one wearing a helmet will probably end up under the bike or the car they are trying to avoid.

The parents natural reaction would be to grab the child. That means they would remove one of their hands from the handlebars which would reduce their ability to handle the bike.

Sure, kids should be on bikes. But the safest place for a passenger on a motorcycle is behind the operator, not in front of.

Those parents are acting in a significantly irresponsible way.
Home - East Kootenay Adventure Riders
Getting Ready - Prep for Rocky and Uly

CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #38
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
One of my earliest childhood memories was going to Dodger games with my dad on his BMW (not sure but probably an old /5 or /6). On the way home (90 minute ride) he sat me on the gas tank so when I fell asleep, he could support me with his arms while controlling the bike. Pretty sure you'd get arrested for that today but we also used to ride around in the bed of pickup trucks and most of us survived.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #39
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Just read this - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517112
Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #40
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
One of my earliest childhood memories was going to Dodger games with my dad on his BMW (not sure but probably an old /5 or /6). On the way home (90 minute ride) he sat me on the gas tank so when I fell asleep, he could support me with his arms while controlling the bike. Pretty sure you'd get arrested for that today but we also used to ride around in the bed of pickup trucks and most of us survived.
I remember sleeping on the rear window ledge in a 56 Chevy.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #41
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
Those parents are acting in a significantly irresponsible way.
First world viewpoint. Perfectly acceptable in a first world country, but most likely inappropriate in a lot of Asia and other parts of the third world.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #42
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,135
A buddy and I would make primitive camping trips on our bikes. He would ride in with his son about five hours out to get to the trails. He had one of those harness jobs that hold the child to the pilot. Top case and panniers, check. But he never bothered to cocoon in his son. Hands down those have been my favorite camping trips that I've taken off of a bike. My daughter is not yet two... Can't wait to head out for some riding and camping when she's ready.

Edit: his son was 7 when I first rode with him.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...

gastone screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 04:42 PM
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #43
Turtletownman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
My daughter started at 8. At first rides of only a couple of hundred miles to either a north GA campground or a bike rally in a nearby state and then further. She went to sleep but, I could feel her head start to droop and also did the knee grab. Her answer always was "I'm not asleep, I'm just resting my eyes."
We took breaks at the 200 mile gas stops and sometimes more often if riding in interesting country. On trip back from NC a bit late in the year there was hot chocolate stop every hour. She wasn't the only one feeling the cold.
No fancy gear. she just held on. We could talk without any devices. She could certainly yell loud enough if she wanted water or a bathroom. A great time of our lives.

Bob
Turtletownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #44
sacto929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio View Post
Great to hear of others out with their kids.

My son started riding with me at the age of 5.....just short trips around town. I did locate proper riding gear for him before setting out. At the time the only thing available that was to my spec was a suit that BMW made but has since been discontinued. That being said, there are some great options for good kid gear today such as http://www.kinderriderinc.com

We used a child riding belt that I was able to order from Canada http://www.t-jridingbelts.net/id54.html

as they were not yet sold in the US. This was a great setup for around town and back and forth to school. When we eventually decided to hit the road on longer trips I ordered a U shaped duffel bag that gave him a backrest and sides to make us both comfortable that all would be good if he got sleepy.....they do that. The best one we found so far is made by Giant Loop

Long story short he's been riding with me since then all over the US and Canada with my wife on her own GS. It's all about your comfort level with riding with your kid as well as risk management. It's a personal choice and very rewarding.

A comm system does keep them engaged as they do need that when they are young. We have had some amazing conversations while on the road that would have never happened in a car or just sitting around the house. Well worth it in my opinion.

Here's a shot of us a few years later. https://www.facebook.com/adventuretr...type=3&theater

Feel free to hit me up with any other questions.

-Terry

Thanks for the links to the gear. My older daughter is 9 and can finally reach the passenger pegs on the GS. She has been bugging me non stop to ride for a few years now....

My Dad used to take me to school on his CB750F, when I was in Pre-K and Kindergarten. He always sat me in front of him, with me holding the bars. He's a big guy, so there's no way I was going to get my arms around him. I still remember the metallic orange Bell helmet that I had back then....
Old 05-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #45
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
First world viewpoint. Perfectly acceptable in a first world country, but most likely inappropriate in a lot of Asia and other parts of the third world.
Caring for a child's safety is appropriate in all worlds, first, second and third.