Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #46
Newbee21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Side car??

Would a Side car be a good idea? No Not The Sunken sidecar of doom,
but something like a Ural Patrol or a BMW sidecar added to your present bike?
Newbee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #47
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Re: Bluetooth intercoms: Not to push a brand or site, but competition accessories just sent me an email today, a pair of Sena SMH10s for $250; the SMH5 dual pack is under $200.

(I suspect they're blowing them out waiting for the new 20S to come in, which has longer range- not an issue for the OP.)
My wife and use the SMH5 system, and it works fairly well. It cuts out occasionally, but come back online automatically within a few seconds.

I would consider intercoms a higher priority than a comfy seat for a passenger, and an absolute must for a child. If you really don't have the cash for those basic bluetooth systems, there are $20 units online that are not wireless (pain in the ass).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #48
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
There were no comm systems when my daughter rode with me (kindergarten) and she did fall asleep after a while. I ended up applying velcro to the backrest and the back of her riding jacket. Problem solved, but I used so much she needed help getting unstuck.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #49
tmills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Let me chime in as a paramedic/firefighter , go for it just do it as safe as possible. As you said its about mitigated risk my son just turned 16 and bought his first bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #50
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 277
I started riding my daughter when she was 5. I recommend starting with short trips. We started just riding up and down the street. Then extended it to a few miles. Then a little more and a little more. We stop often to help keep her attention up. Have fun!
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #51
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Oddometer: 586
My 6 year old daughter riding with me. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills View Post
Let me chime in as a paramedic/firefighter , go for it just do it as safe as possible. As you said its about mitigated risk my son just turned 16 and bought his first bike.

YOu bought his first bike or he bought his first bike?

LRMC sucks ASS!

Can't stand HD bikes! Loud POSs and nothing but posers.
XICAQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #52
tmills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
He works on a farm HE bought his first bike a CBR 125

tmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #53
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
Caring for a child's safety is appropriate in all worlds, first, second and third.
Blah blah blah
Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #54
blainerides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca9277 View Post
Being italian i can tell taking the young ones to school on a Vespa, scooter or motorcycle is quite common over there, I have seen a few using this GIVI seat for their kids.. I have no personal experience with it but it looks like he can do the job.

http://www.givi.it/motorbike-accesso...20-Baby%20Ride

This looks so rad. This "ridin' belt" thingy is what I strap-on for my wife (when we ride). There's just no way to not make that sound dirty. But seriously, in combo with caffeine and a rear box, it's pretty safe just having something stout to hang on to. My pic: http://instagram.com/p/mynQnWgN4H/
blainerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #55
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
We started when our girl was 6, About 10 miles and she was asleep. On a 40 mile ride out she was fine. After playing all day the ride home was rough. We would stop ever 10 miles and let her off to stretch and soak her jacket with water to keep cool. I had an old air comp handle that bolted to the rear rack and turned up for handles for her to hang onto. I sat far enough back this fairly well held her in. The best thing was the foot peg risers for her to rest her feet on. She is finally big enough to wear the small BILT armored compression suit from cycle gear. Of course a DOT full face helmet, gloves,boots and shin/knee guards. She can easily do 100 miles now at 9 yrs old, Keep in mind their feet and Seat get hot and can make them wiggle. She get the biggest joy out of having other kids in cars see her and realize she is a girl (Pink Helmet was a must).We just bought comm sets but havent got them set up yet.

09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #56
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I first started taking justafurnacegirl out on the Honda Rebel. I sat her in front of me with her feet on the engine case and her grabbing onto the handlebar. We explored the back roads going fairly slow, but I still went out and bought her a dirt bike helmet to wear.

We then transitioned to the GSX-R600 for some short trips after I bought her a full face road helmet. I was nervous about her falling asleep since she had a tendency to do that while she road with me on the lawnmower. I think the longest trip we did was about 20 miles. I made her reach around me and grab my jacket and I would notice if she relaxed her grip and grab her arm with my left hand.

I really wanted a bike with a trunk or sissy bar so I could make an armrest system for her which would help me to relax and not worry about her as much. I finally found a CB750 with a WindJammer fairing and luggage system. I fabricated some armrests and bought the SMH-10 headsets so we can chat. She lets me know when she needs a break.

Check out the For Dads & Daughter thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249031
Old 05-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #57
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee21 View Post
Would a Side car be a good idea? No Not The Sunken sidecar of doom,
but something like a Ural Patrol or a BMW sidecar added to your present bike?
Maybe, but sidecar operation is a whole new level for the rider ("driver").

--Bill
Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #58
gtrfan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
My 5 year old loves being on the bikes (when stationary or taking up short driveway) but I could never forgive myself if she came off (she has to be 7 to ride on bike anyway in NSW).

However I am now yearning for a Ural setup so can enjoy 'wind in your hair' / wind around your helmet feeling (however power output of a ural with sidecar will limit the amount of wind).

The harness idea doesn't sound too bad through!
gtrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #59
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabikesobad View Post
......I had an old air comp handle that bolted to the rear rack and turned up for handles for her to hang onto. I sat far enough back this fairly well held her in. The best thing was the foot peg risers for her to rest her feet on.....
I like those foot pegs
Home - East Kootenay Adventure Riders
Getting Ready - Prep for Rocky and Uly

CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #60
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 976
Ok, everybody is over thinking this. All you need is a Givi trunk...

Not really. Fast forward 6 years, same bike, same girl, different strategy. Childs Riding Belt. Young kids WILL fall asleep. The dangers or being strapped together are far less that the dangers of child falling asleep or losing balance during hard braking or a sudden evasive maneuver IMO

Several times I felt my very recently very wide awake daughter leaning over to one side, or her helmet suddenly thunk against my back as she drifted off. And it can happen a lot quicker that you think. She fell asleep on time within 5 mins of leaving the house.

She is 8 now and the falling asleep has stopped. She prefers to not wear the belt now, but I try and keep rides to not much more than 30 mins, or break up longer runs with stops, just for my own piece of mind
Me and my monkee is online now   Reply With Quote