Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #61
wegface22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
I started riding my daughter when she was 5. I recommend starting with short trips. We started just riding up and down the street. Then extended it to a few miles. Then a little more and a little more. We stop often to help keep her attention up. Have fun!
Exactly this. I dont strap them down or have comms, but never do more than 1 hour without stopping. Can tell by how much they fidget, and how well they keep hold of me. They know to tap me if they need to get off. The wind and noise gets a bit much for them after a while. BUT- they LOVE it!!
:-) happy riding!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #62
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by wegface22 View Post
The wind and noise gets a bit much for them after a while. BUT- they LOVE it!!
:-) happy riding!
This is a good point. I think custom ear plugs would be needed to stop any chance of damaging kids hearing. At the rate kids grow you'd have to keep getting new ones made too.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #63
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
Caring for a child's safety is appropriate in all worlds, first, second and third.
I'm not excusing the behavior shown in the pictures; I do agree that in terms of safety, it's less than ideal. But as someone who is from the third world, I gotta say that a lot of the stuff that people have to live with in these kinds of countries is less than ideal (both motorcycle related and not). People just do the best with what they've got. Note that in both shots, the bikes already have (adult) pillions. And it's not likely that they're riding for recreation either.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #64
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
Chocolate covered coffee beans will keep her awake.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #65
flightmedic OP
Quiet desperation

Oddometer: 93
We are home from our Daddy/Daughter trip! 425 miles covered in 2 nights and 3 days. I think a couple folks here advocated for a shorter trip, (I initially proposed 350 miles one way). Those who did, along with my wife, were right... The longest leg was 100 miles and that was at the limits of her comfort.

In regards to my concern about keeping her attached to the bike should she nod off, I went with this.

http://www.amazon.com/KID-KARRIER-HA...7248697&sr=1-2

It worked very well but was maxed out size wise for her size, (44" tall and 45 pounds). Although the strap shows in the front, it also works with the child in back, which we did.

In the end my concerns of her falling asleep were unwarranted. She is the original energizer bunny and came up with many ways to keep herself awake on the different legs. The strap however allowed her to be more comfortable and enjoy the ride more vs. her fear of falling off.

Highly recommend doing this with your kids. Not only is it an awesome way to travel, but I learned a bunch about my little girl outside of our "bubble" at home where sometimes individual thoughts and feelings get drowned out, (We have 5 kids). She loved the time and I am certain we will be doing this again!

If anybody would like, I can share my "lessons learned" in traveling with young ones and my packing list.

flightmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #66
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,263
What a wonderful trip and wonderful photos. Glad it all worked out.

Look at it as the beginning of a long adventure...

--Bill
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #67
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmedic View Post
If anybody would like, I can share my "lessons learned" in traveling with young ones and my packing list.
I'd like to hear what ya got. Working on longer rides with mine, we've only gone about 30 miles at a stretch, but we're working on riding more and more together.
dazeedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #68
Buckstoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmedic View Post
Sounds like a great trip, I would like to hear your lessons learned. I'm not quite to the point of taking a trip with mine but with a 5 year old and a 10 month old I can see this in our future!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #69
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
I started touring around Europe with my dad at the age of six. We did ride hundreds of kms per day and thousand of kms per trip. I did fall asleep almost every day. My dad used to tap me when my helmet hit his back. No straps, no child seats, and years before communication systems were invented. No problems.

Times have changed. Modern world is full of dangers. If I were to repeat that again, I would surely use a child seat attached to the bike. I would never strap the child to the rider. That would be really dangerous if you fall. But you could use grab handles which attach to your belt. Like these:

And surely I would use communication gear. It would be so much easier than hand signals and shouting.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #70
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
Lucky kid
Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #71
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
I have a 6 year old girl as well. My first thought hen you posted about communication gear was "He will talk HER ear off" LOL. I know my girl will talk and talk and talk non stop. Sounds like a blast. My girl is still a little short in the legs for my bikes. My 12 year old is plenty big enough, but sadly, not interested.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #72
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
When my son was 7 I started riding again. I bought a KLX250 for myself and dirtbikes for my wife and kids. I took my kids on my bike on the street and they rode in the dirt. We always go full gear in the dirt and on the road.

My son is now 16 and has his learners permit for driving. We have tiered licensing so the process for a full licesnse takes several years. He will be writing his learners for motorcycle soon and will be dual sporting with me .
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote