ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Best "Bang for the $" motorcycle gps.

Tried doing a search and kept getting the "oops" response.
My trusty little Tom Tom bit the dust on the way home from the European Rally and I am now looking for a replacement.
I am looking for:
-best bang for the buck
-waterproof if it does not raise $ too much
-ease of use
I do not do off road, and only hit 5 to 6 Rally's a year so I do not have to have all the space age tech on it (Bluetooth, connectability, etc.).
So what are you using, or used that was/is your favorite.
As always I love this site for its combined knowledge... if questionable
Old 05-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
On my 02 GSA I use a $160 Garmin 56LM in an Aqua Box. My Garmin 265W gave up the ghost after 8 years on the bike. The box can be a bit big but works well, I made a custom sun visor for the box for mid-day sun glare.

I could not bring myself to pay 4 or 5 times the amount for waterproofing.

Good luck on your selection.

Rich

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #3
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 195
I used to have a Garmin 1490 LMT in an Aquabox powered from a USB outlet on my FZ6. The only downside to this is not being able to hear directions. You have to keep your eye on the screen. Be aware that just when a GPS manufacturer states that their GPS is 'Bluetooth enabled" it means that the GPS can control a phone, not that the directions can be heard over a Bluetooth link. The only ones that do that are the motorcycle specific ones.

I used my 1490 for about 3 years until the power socket gave up. Replaced it with a used Garmin 550 bought from another inmate on here.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 844
You might look for a clean Garmin StreetPilot series (2610, 2620, 2650, 2660, 2720, 2820) on eBay or CL. They can prob be had under $100. Make sure to get the software and unlock code that came in the box and you can plan your trips on your computer and save to the gps. Waterproof, touchscreen, and you can get a motorcycle mount/cord.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 307
TomTom

How about another TomTom

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974194
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,882
Google nexus 7
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you for the replies. I'm really not looking to spend anywhere near $200, let alone $500+ for these new fangled units. I manly take highways with some side roads, but its in state locals I do not know.
Thanks for info on the 26 and 27 series units, I like the idea of setting up on my computer.
Please, if you have more suggestions or more reasons to buy a certain model let me know... You know you want to gloat about your awesome choice
Old 05-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Put your smartphone in a waterproof case and mount it to the bars? osmand should be on your short list too.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Put your smartphone in a waterproof case and mount it to the bars? osmand should be on your short list too.
Luckily when my Tom Tom crapped out on me I was testing Googles map GPS that was installed on my phone. Phone was in my pocket connected to ear buds. Her sweet little voice saved me on this trip since I decided to try a different route on the way back and did not want to stop again and again looking at the paper map.
I still want a GPS, but how does Osmand compare to Googles GPS app ?
PS. Please keep the GPS suggestions coming.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
OSMand has offline map data. It lets you route and view maps without a data connection. Plus OSMand will follow GPX tracks and generate tracks.
Google maps will only route with a data connection. I believe (not 100% sure) that once you have the route, Google then keeps running that route even if you lose the connection.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
OSMand has offline map data. It lets you route and view maps without a data connection. Plus OSMand will follow GPX tracks and generate tracks.
Google maps will only route with a data connection. I believe (not 100% sure) that once you have the route, Google then keeps running that route even if you lose the connection.
Thank you.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Luckily when my Tom Tom crapped out on me I was testing Googles map GPS that was installed on my phone. Phone was in my pocket connected to ear buds. Her sweet little voice saved me on this trip since I decided to try a different route on the way back and did not want to stop again and again looking at the paper map.
Googles navigation is faster (work is done by a billion servers) , and the voices are sometimes better. It's Achilles heel is it requires an internent connection. Osmand, locus, sygic, others, do not.

Once you have a little experience with osmand (kick the developer a few bucks and donate for osmand+ please) give locus maps a try. It's much more involved, but very rewarding.

Also, osmand has nightlies, little snap shots of the development in progress, new features all the time.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Googles navigation is faster (work is done by a billion servers) , and the voices are sometimes better. It's Achilles heel is it requires an internent connection. Osmand, locus, sygic, others, do not.

Once you have a little experience with osmand (kick the developer a few bucks and donate for osmand+ please) give locus maps a try. It's much more involved, but very rewarding.

Also, osmand has nightlies, little snap shots of the development in progress, new features all the time.
I still have unlimited data plan (eat your hearts out) so long as I keep buying used phones, so internet is not a problem.
I see 2720s come on the market sometimes at a good price, but they look rather large.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
GPS Custom Sun Visor

I agree using a low cost budget kind of gps for road travel. I have a 265W for the road bike and a 60CSx for the dirt bike.
I'm curious about the "custom sun visor" you fashioned for the 265. Do you have a pic of it? I need some ideas to fashion one myself. I once made one out of cardboard, painted it black, but it didn't last long. Was a hideous looking thing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheritage View Post
On my 02 GSA I use a $160 Garmin 56LM in an Aqua Box. My Garmin 265W gave up the ghost after 8 years on the bike. The box can be a bit big but works well, I made a custom sun visor for the box for mid-day sun glare.

I could not bring myself to pay 4 or 5 times the amount for waterproofing.

Good luck on your selection.

Rich
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
I agree using a low cost budget kind of gps for road travel. I have a 265W for the road bike and a 60CSx for the dirt bike.
I'm curious about the "custom sun visor" you fashioned for the 265. Do you have a pic of it? I need some ideas to fashion one myself. I once made one out of cardboard, painted it black, but it didn't last long. Was a hideous looking thing!!
Try glarestomper.com Not too spendy and I liked mine.