User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
KTM Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Route truncated only 75 track points 104 miles?

Ok - I know, - some of you are going to bash that I "only" have an ancient 2730 and tell me I must buy a newer unit. I am not looking for suggestions as to what unit I need to buy. The 2730 is what I have, it is what I am trying figure out how to work with and make the most of!

Having said that - I am getting the "route truncated" message when transfering a 75 point, 104 mile route. The route was created from a track log which I then filtered down to 75 points, using Basecamp.

Everything I have read seems to say my 2730 should be able to handle such a short route, with so few track points. I then broke that route into two chunks of around 50 ish miles, and 37 track points - stupid small! Still got the route truncated message.

I have cleared out the track log. I have no other routes loaded into the unit. I am using CN North America NT 2014.

What am I doing wrong?

(and yes, I have tried to search - but it seems when I do a search, a blank white results screen comes up - nothing on it!)

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I've gotten the same message coming from my Garmin 60csx when loading routes. I have maybe a 10 routes loaded onto the unit and it has a formatted 2GB micro SD card installed. You would think that's WAY more than enough memory for some GPX files. Not like say photos, videos or even music files which fit on to the same size card just fine on other devices.
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
KTM Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

C-dog - I dont think the issue is storage capacity of either of our GPS units - but something with how the routes and handled exceeding some mystical limit!

eagerly awaiting further responses!

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
I am getting the "route truncated" message when transfering a 75 point, 104 mile route.

The route was created from a track log which I then filtered down to 75 points, using Basecamp.
Routes don't have "Track Points" only Tracks do.

Routes have waypoints or vias. The Track you started with may only have 75 Track Points but after you converted it to a Route, how many "Route" points did it have?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Also check...

Also check to see if your routing preferences are set to 'Direct routes' or 'Auto-routing' routes.

Many Garmin units have a limit of 50 points in an 'Auto-routing' route.

If it is set to 'Auto-routing', change it to 'Direct', right click on the route and 'recalculate'

Direct routes give you a straight line from point to point.

Auto-routing routes follow the road IF you have a map set that supports routing.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
KTM Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Countdown...ahhh...precision of language is so important! You are correct...my bad. I should of said the route was filtered down to 37 VIA points!

NT - I think your comment about "recalculate" may have been the key!

Actually before I saw your post, I ended up trying to create my own route, following an existing track (my starting point by the way is Cannonshot's CDR tracks). I did make my own route, clicking on the map etc. (to my surprise it automatically snapped it to follow the exact road contour). Before I attempted to transfer it, I did a recalculate. Transferred perfectly.

I then grabbed the sections of the track I had been working with - did the convert to route thing in Basecamp, selected to use 45 via points. Did the recalc - and sucessfully trasnferred 6 different routes no issue at all.

I have not attempted to follow those routes yet (they are in Wyoming..I am not...yet!)....but this weekend I am doing a ride and will do similar with creating a route etc. and will see what happens!

Thanks for the input!