Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Thanks Gixxersteph I'll take a look around
hotrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #32
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

I ordered in a STANDARD : TS306 thermostat switch and will try and get that thing installed tonight. But so far with a manual override switch I've been able to keep the temperatures down.

I've attached an image of what my oil filter looked like when I pulled it. What are your guys thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #33
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
That is what my filters look like
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #34
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

So we either both have good filters or bad filters
Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #35
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

So now that I think I have that figured out. Where can I find a good article on clutch adjustment?

My bike is grinding gears when I first pop it into gear. I'd like to get rid of that :-)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #36
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Try a clutch fluid flush first. I use synthetic ATF
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #37
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrdd View Post
So now that I think I have that figured out. Where can I find a good article on clutch adjustment?

My bike is grinding gears when I first pop it into gear. I'd like to get rid of that :-)
There is really no 'clutch adjustment' to be had.

My 'make it better list'

Change the clutch fluid to 5w suspension fluid, it is far superior to anything else in my opinion.

Pull the clutch oil jet and increase size to .7mm for street, 1.0mm for heavy off road clutch abuse.

Pull clutch pack, wet sand with 400 all steel disks and verify flat, replace if warped. Very lightly wet sand friction disks, flush clean. Soak all parts with oil and prepare for reassembly

Visually inspect clutch drive surfaces for significant wear at the disk interfaces that can wear groves. The groves can cause the pack to 'stick' and cause additional drag.

Clean and lube the center booster ramp system.

Assemble the clutch system and ride!
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #38
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
Talking Any

coolant will do as long as it's got enough anti freeze in it for Canada.
There's no measurable diffrence between coolants, ethylene ones are toxic, as in do not drink or dump in nature,
Propylene glycols are just as good but not toxic,see above
There's a lot of myths about variuos "magic" coolant but that's mainly a lot of BS.

rattis screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 10:26 AM
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #39
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

Thanks Head2Wind - Looks like I'll be trying to find a good post on doing all of the clutch work you were talking about. Doing the clutch is a new one for me :-(
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #40
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

Should I be concerned? I know the bike I had was high mileage when I bought it but how high is questionable since it doesn’t have the original odometer and the dealer wasn’t able to give me the exact mileage. Could be as high as 50K miles.

Anyway except for the overheating and clutch issue the bike seems to run fine. But this weekend after a three hour ride the idle on the bike was acting erratic and the bike was stalling when I came to a full stop. When I got home I used the little wheel to adjust the idle up a bit. BUT I’m noticing that the bike smells like it is burning oil, though I haven’t noticed a change in the oil level, and yesterday after riding for an hour or two the thing started to backfire once and a while.

My next step is to flush the clutch and get into that as well as do an oil change and add a Scotts oil filter. If there anything else I should put on the list?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #41
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

WOW! what a crazy couple of weeks. I've had just enough time to ride back and forth to work and squeeze some sleep in. I finally had 15 minutes and swapped the radiator fan switch with a STANDARD TS306 that I was able to order from Canadian Tire (For the Canadians out there).

Total swap was less than 15 minutes. Just removed the upper faring and was able to pull and replace the switch without losing much coolant.

The fans are defiantly coming on now by themselves but not until I get between the 5-6 bar mark. Which even with what I have read is concerning. I’m wondering if the coolant isn’t getting enough circulation so I’m going to try and find some time in the next week or two to pull the water pump and see if there is anything to see.

Thanks for all the help so far.