User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
reedro 72 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Help needed

Hi all I have a 03 ktm 950 adventure and it's just gone in for a routine service and the fix of an electrical gremlin and whilst it has been in there they have phoned me saying it has suspected head gasket problems as when you turn off the engine it sucks the rad hoses in ? They are a ktm dealer that's why I sent it there for piece of mind , it's never overheated or used any coolant with me and there is no oil in water or vise versa , I thought when the head gasket failed it pressurized the system ? Can any one shed any light on the issue .

Nick
reedro 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedro 72 View Post
Hi all I have a 03 ktm 950 adventure and it's just gone in for a routine service and the fix of an electrical gremlin and whilst it has been in there they have phoned me saying it has suspected head gasket problems as when you turn off the engine it sucks the rad hoses in ? They are a ktm dealer that's why I sent it there for piece of mind , it's never overheated or used any coolant with me and there is no oil in water or vise versa , I thought when the head gasket failed it pressurized the system ? Can any one shed any light on the issue .

Nick
What were the electrical symptoms?

As for the head gasket, there are other more definitive tests they can do to determine the health of your engine. Compression test, leak down test, etc. Look at coolant and oil for contamination. I'd ask them to detail what their next proposed steps are. Removing the heads would be a wrong answer.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
The radiator cap is designed to relieve the slight vacuum in the cooling system when it cools down. Start by replacing that...

Never heard of cooling system vacuum being a symptom of a head gasket failure...

Oh wait ! I hear a giant sucking sound............. out of your wallet !
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
reedro 72 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
What were the electrical symptoms?

As for the head gasket, there are other more definitive tests they can do to determine the health of your engine. Compression test, leak down test, etc. Look at coolant and oil for contamination. I'd ask them to detail what their next proposed steps are. Removing the heads would be a wrong answer.
Hi the electrical problem was an earth wire which was connected to the starter relay , which resulted in the bike cutting out and loosing all power to the dash / lights etc , back to the coolant issue they told me that they had ran it up last nite and was going to check the coolant levels this morn , part of the service down there was draining down and replacing all the fluids , I have ridden the bike all over with no issues etc and only chose them to service it as busy with work and they are the main ktm dealer around here !.?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
reedro 72 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedro 72 View Post
Hi the electrical problem was an earth wire which was connected to the starter relay , which resulted in the bike cutting out and loosing all power to the dash / lights etc , back to the coolant issue they told me that they had ran it up last nite and was going to check the coolant levels this morn , part of the service down there was draining down and replacing all the fluids , I have ridden the bike all over with no issues etc and only chose them to service it as busy with work and they are the main ktm dealer around here !.?
Bike all back tonite and thankfully after them rechecking it twice today they eventually diagnosed it as the radiator cap !,,! Thanks for your input

Nick