ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #151
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
Is Sardine campground booked or first come?. That would be a better choice as it is much closer to Packer. Chrislitt, that would be a good spot for your wife and motorhome. How big is your mh. ? It is a little tight for really big rigs in Sardine. Anything up to 30' is ok. You can get bigger in there it is just a little tight in some spots.
It is a 31' class C. Good for the dog too? The darn lab has made a dog lover out of me. I like the idea of not doing 7 miles to get started getting started- though one does what one must do! Thank you for the advice! I will stay tuned.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #152
sharpie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Besides, some of those trails are not on the current MVUM. We should probably
limit poaching-hiking-trail discussions to around the campfire.
Everything mentioned by Fletch is completely legal, although the new section is not Sunrise, it is the new Butcher Ranch extension, no poaching involved. We used to add in Grizzly (now technically closed) to Gibralter into the days loop, that would give you about 60 miles of tough single track, thats the cure for insomnia.
sharpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #153
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislitt View Post
It is a 31' class C. Good for the dog too? The darn lab has made a dog lover out of me. I like the idea of not doing 7 miles to get started getting started- though one does what one must do! Thank you for the advice! I will stay tuned.
You should be ok. Sardine is a nice campground. It will be more fun for your wife and dog and it is just much more scenic than Gold Lake with the buttes as a constant back drop. The one caveat is that Sand Pond does not allow dogs which is to bad cause it's a great swimming hole, but it is just a few steps up to lower Sardine and I believe it is good with dogs.

Another thought you may consider to keep the wife happy is to make a reservation at the Lodge at Sardine Lake for dinner. I have never been, but hear it is top shelf. I said reservation because I am pretty sure it books out on weekends.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #154
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Yes we seem to always over do it when we ride Downie. You start riding and one trails leds to another and the next thing you know your dragging your ass back up Butch to the trucks. The beer always taste better after a long day at Downie.

So I will revise the route for you. Just leave out the Rattlesnake, Chimney, Empire part and instead take a nice easy cruise up the road to Saddleback lookout and back like you were talking about and then do the 2nd Divide to Big Boulder, Pauley Creek, back up Butcher. Or just leave out the Saddleback part and it will be and easy day. Oh and in regards to 1st Divide going up, kinda the same as 3rd. There is a lot of Mtbers coming down it. We usually just go back up the county road.

50-60 miles of technical ST are usually my limit. Especially if I want to ride 3-4 days.

After the classic downhill, I want to go up Red Ant, Fir Cap, Saddleback L.O., Chimney Rock, & back on something easy afterwards.

Which county road are you referring to when you say y'all "usually just go back up the county road"?

Quote:
What day do you want to do Rattlesnake. That would be the day I would like to join you. Also not sure about the mvum thing, but as far as I know all the trails I mentioned are legal. Which trail do believe to be hiking only? There is really no hikers at Downie other than the two that Sharpie and I came across one time and they were there not there for sightseeing but looking for negative shit to document. If your thinking the PCT, well yes of course that is to be avoided at all cost. Sharpie and I accidently got on it one time off of Packsaddle rd the very first time we rode there. The PCT cross that rode several times. They are going to correct that. Anyway it was an honest mistake. There was no sign. We run into a group of hikers and we appologized. The leader excepted the rest of the group really wanted us burned at the stake.

Since I have NOT been there yet, I think I should keep my mouth shut about what trails are legal vs. not. My only info is the current Trail Guide & the only MVUM I found on the Tahoe NF web pages. Neither may be accurate for this year.

If you know they are legal, then we should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1 View Post
Everything mentioned by Fletch is completely legal, although the new section is not Sunrise, it is the new Butcher Ranch extension, no poaching involved. We used to add in Grizzly (now technically closed) to Gibralter into the days loop, that would give you about 60 miles of tough single track, thats the cure for insomnia.

Ahhhh, there are some details I was looking for! The Trail Guide shows the Sunrise Trail as non-motorized. However it does not show where the BR trail extension is. I know its new and motorized, but I didn't know where it was. And now I know its the old Sunrise Trail!

I hope you & Fletch make it up. I appreciate y'alls local knowledge & sharing it with us!

Catfish ...
catfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #155
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
You should be ok. Sardine is a nice campground. It will be more fun for your wife and dog and it is just much more scenic than Gold Lake with the buttes as a constant back drop. The one caveat is that Sand Pond does not allow dogs which is to bad cause it's a great swimming hole, but it is just a few steps up to lower Sardine and I believe it is good with dogs.

Another thought you may consider to keep the wife happy is to make a reservation at the Lodge at Sardine Lake for dinner. I have never been, but hear it is top shelf. I said reservation because I am pretty sure it books out on weekends.
Hey Fletch123, is Sardine the big campground at the junction of packer and Sardine Roads? Did anyone note if it required reservations? Thinking about taking your advice and staying there.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!

chrislitt screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 10:58 PM Reason: found the reservation site, nothing available. Plan B?
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #156
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey Catfish,

I'm still a maybe, maybe ...

Here's a Calaveras Dome pic of you (?) from last year's birthday ride ...

see you (hopefully) around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
PS: hope to ride in for a night between 7/17 & 7/20 ...

Thanks for the update John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
Sorry, I'll be on the East Coast for the rest of the month. Happy birthday and everyone have fun!

We'll miss you!

Quote:
chrislitt arriving Thursday evening with wife, dog, motorhome, a smile, a righteous, new 350exc-f, and a complete lack of knowing where to camp (or ride for that matter). I've got an MT43
Anyway, I'm scouting for a better class of losers to ride with (with fairly low standards). My usual have gotten side by sides and have become totally unreliable trail riding accomplices. We have spent many weekends riding Stonyford and Middle Creek mostly. It looks like it is time to move on.

I'm looking forward to meeting more people in the trail riding community while exploring new country.

Nice intro Chris! I have 2 goldens & one yellow lab, but they guard the wife at home when I camp. I understand your usuals. Mine stopped riding too, so I'm been looking for new riding buddies also.

Camping in the Lakes Basin area appears to be a very popular weekend activity. We got the last 2 sites at Packsaddle for the weekend. If you really are planning to arrive Thursday & leave Saturday, then sites 015 & 016 in Packsaddle are still available for Thurs-Fri nights ONLY. Every other reserve-able sites are book for the weekend, including Sardine Lake. Sorry.

If you are OK with dry camping, then Juan's spot on Page 5 is close to Packsaddle. Gold Lake CG is the only other CG with 1st-come... sites that should be available on Thursday.

Good luck with camping & I looking forward to meeting y'all!

Catfish ...
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #157
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
50-60 miles of technical ST are usually my limit. Especially if I want to ride 3-4 days.

After the classic downhill, I want to go up Red Ant, Fir Cap, Saddleback L.O., Chimney Rock, & back on something easy afterwards.

Which county road are you referring to when you say y'all "usually just go back up the county road"?

I'm shooting for Friday and Sat. ride. Not sure about camping. Although I won't make the mistake I made last time where one beer after the ride lead to another and another. The next thing I know it is midnight. Got in a little hot water over that one.

Since I have NOT been there yet, I think I should keep my mouth shut about what trails are legal vs. not. My only info is the current Trail Guide & the only MVUM I found on the Tahoe NF web pages. Neither may be accurate for this year.

If you know they are legal, then we should be fine.

Ahhhh, there are some details I was looking for! The Trail Guide shows the Sunrise Trail as non-motorized. However it does not show where the BR trail extension is. I know its new and motorized, but I didn't know where it was. And now I know its the old Sunrise Trail!

I hope you & Fletch make it up. I appreciate y'alls local knowledge & sharing it with us!

Catfish ...
60 miles at DV is a tough day. I'm not familiar with Red Ant and Fir Cap, but Saddleback L.O. a ways over from the Divide trails and if you come back Chimney which is no cake walk you will have to still come down Empire, although there is a road you can come down to save energy. You will still have to get back up the Divide and Butcher. That is always what finishes me off. I guess there really is no getting around it being a long day at Downieville.

Not sure the name of the county rd. but it is the road that the Divide trails come out on. It runs up and ends at Lazzalova trail. Which is a must do trail which is usually an out and back ride, but a get trail and probably the fastest trail there since your not worrying about dropping off a cliff. Does have a couple of creek cross that can surprise you. Don't ask how I know. They are not deep, but rocky.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #158
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Fletch123, is Sardine the big campground at the junction of packer and Sardine Roads? Did anyone note if it required reservations? Thinking about taking your advice and staying there.
That is the spot. I just check and Sardine is full. I'm thinking your best bet is at the Juan spot. Its dry camping and no fire, but a lot of room to park a motorhome. The only real issue about camping there is the ADV inmates that will be also camping there. From that spot there is still some good hiking for your wife and dog. Tammack lakes is not far from there as Packer Lake. The nice thing about Tammack is there is often nobody there. As opposed to Packer.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #159
Solemon Grundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
That is the spot. I just check and Sardine is full. I'm thinking your best bet is at the Juan spot. Its dry camping and no fire, but a lot of room to park a motorhome. The only real issue about camping there is the ADV inmates that will be also camping there. From that spot there is still some good hiking for your wife and dog. Tammack lakes is not far from there as Packer Lake. The nice thing about Tammack is there is often nobody there. As opposed to Packer.
I just want to ride in with the bare essentials on my bike and mooch a camp spot to sleep in a tiny tent at night. I'll work out the details with George about chipping in on food and water but beyond that I just want to ride some ST. Is that unethical of me?
Solemon Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #160
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Highly unethical.....But I say go for it!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #161
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Your not sleeping in my tent, but I think George would have room in his and likes the company
Old 07-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #162
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

You Beemer guys are funny---a little strange, but funny.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #163
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
60 miles at DV is a tough day. I'm not familiar with Red Ant and Fir Cap, but Saddleback L.O. a ways over from the Divide trails and if you come back Chimney which is no cake walk you will have to still come down Empire, although there is a road you can come down to save energy. You will still have to get back up the Divide and Butcher. That is always what finishes me off. I guess there really is no getting around it being a long day at Downieville.

I'm starting to see what you mean. Downieville classic is 15 miles from Packer Saddle to Downieville. So 30 miles round-trip minimum. Add in a 30-40 mile loop up to Chimney Rock & back, and that is a long day. I think. Depends on how fast we move. Red Oak Rd parallels Empire.

Quote:
Not sure the name of the county rd. but it is the road that the Divide trails come out on. It runs up and ends at Lazzalova trail. Which is a must do trail which is usually an out and back ride, but a get trail and probably the fastest trail there since your not worrying about dropping off a cliff. Does have a couple of creek cross that can surprise you. Don't ask how I know. They are not deep, but rocky.

Looking at my map ... Lavezzola Creek Road leads up to Lavezzola Creek Trail. Do you turn east on Smith Creek Trail, or all the way up to east on Spencer Creek Trail?

Thanks for more clues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemon Grundy View Post
I just want to ride in with the bare essentials on my bike and mooch a camp spot to sleep in a tiny tent at night. I'll work out the details with George about chipping in on food and water but beyond that I just want to ride some ST. Is that unethical of me?

Who's George? Your plan sounds reasonable to me! If we have to hide a couple of folks so the headcount per site LOOKS like 6 when the ranger is by, no big deal! Which days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Highly unethical.....But I say go for it!

Oh, this must be George. Hi George! Are you coming up to ride too? Which days?

I'm kinda AMAZED at the number of lurkers speaking up this week. We obviously need more campsites!!!

Quote:
Your not sleeping in my tent, but I think George would have room in his and likes the company

Uh-Ooooh, did someone eat crackers in the sleeping bag last time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
You Beemer guys are funny---a little strange, but funny.

I can tell you three are going to be nothing but TROUBLE!

My new MT43 arrived yesterday!

Catfish ...
Old 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #164
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

I am actually camping with a different group near where your bunch will be. I had offered to haul bulky stuff for guys riding from Reno. I'll drop it off at your camp for them and probably try to bum a beer while I am there. Don't include me in the rig or tent count.

There are a couple of guys coming with identical/matching (almost) bikes. And they spend a LOT of time together. They did say something about zip together sleeping bags.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #165
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, now I know where the Red Oak trail is. We rode down it once. Waste of time in my opinion. Empire up and down is the way to go.