ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #166
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
ride by

I caught this thread when it started but lost it. I have this time period free and may have to drive up in the area. Been through this great area but have not slowed down due to the great twisties out on 49 and I was going places. I travel light with my own supplies.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #167
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
That is the spot. I just check and Sardine is full. I'm thinking your best bet is at the Juan spot. Its dry camping and no fire, but a lot of room to park a motorhome. The only real issue about camping there is the ADV inmates that will be also camping there. From that spot there is still some good hiking for your wife and dog. Tammack lakes is not far from there as Packer Lake. The nice thing about Tammack is there is often nobody there. As opposed to Packer.
I texted and spoke with Juan today and the spot he recommended is where I am heading with fingers crossed that there is a vacant spot and the USFS staff won't hassle. No fire will drive my pyro-wife a little crazy though. We passed through the area on a big bike highway loop last weekend. It was my first time in the area. Its beautiful water and rugged mountains remind me of my north coast roots.

Took #16 at Pack Saddle after all. Closer to the birthday boy, can have fire and probably gotta go home Saturday evening.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!

chrislitt screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 04:48 PM Reason: change of plans
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #168
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
Oh that Chimney rock trail looks sooo nice! I'm going to try to make this fit my schedule if someone can promise to ride that trail with me!!!???

I'll bring my plated KTM 2 stroke. And maybe a buddy or two.
Nelson
How in Hades does one plate a two stroke in this State? I'll take my answer in person please. Should be interesting.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #169
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislitt View Post
How in Hades does one plate a two stroke in this State? I'll take my answer in person please. Should be interesting.
I have one too. What's the problem?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #170
Solemon Grundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
This may sound odd, but is anyone bringing any guitars or banjo? I am fairly competent with the banjo and dig on fingerpicking blues...
Solemon Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #171
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
I have one too. What's the problem?
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #172
sharpie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Move.
sharpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #173
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
I caught this thread when it started but lost it. I have this time period free and may have to drive up in the area. Been through this great area but have not slowed down due to the great twisties out on 49 and I was going places. I travel light with my own supplies.

Come on up! Forest roads or singletrack? Which day(s)?

Quote:

Took #16 at Pack Saddle after all. Closer to the birthday boy, can have fire and probably gotta go home Saturday evening.

Excellent! I look forward to meeting you, your lab, & pyro-wife!

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #174
Slyko
n00b

Oddometer: 6
http://youtu.be/myhnAZFR1po
Slyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #175
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemon Grundy View Post
This may sound odd, but is anyone bringing any guitars or banjo? I am fairly competent with the banjo and dig on fingerpicking blues...
Bring it man! I'll bring the Mandolin...check it out, pickin with the boys in the kitchen gettin' ready for the local Bluegrass Festival earlier this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SORuTqFQlEU YEEHAW! JB
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #176
visualizerent
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Hop-Sing! get up here! Can u bring a trials bike too and give us a demo?
Isn't that u kissin' the front fender while climbing the tree trials bike video? JB
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #177
visualizerent
Raconteur

ADDITIONAL DISPERSED CAMPING OPTION (RT. CIRCLE)

I was up there yesterday and realized I forgot to mention additional dispersed (very nice) camping across the street from the spot I originally pointed out. there was only one tent there yesterday, while the campgrounds are mostly full.

These are nice quiet spots well above the campgrounds.

It's warm and dry, especially heading down the canyons towards Downieville. Plan accordingly.

Also found some additional scenic, easy big bike riding just to the East near Mills Peak lookout. Would make a nice evening putt

HOWARD MEADOWS-SIERRA COUNTY- KTM 640A

JB
Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #178
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
I'm over halfway there, in Denver!
It looks like I'm actually going to be coming straight in from nevada now, instead of up death valley to San Fransisco. I'm thinking about buying new tires in Reno and carrying them to Downieville and putting them on there. What type of tires would you recommend for Downie?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #179
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Anyone know GPS coordinates for the campsite? I'm in the same mentality as the guys who just need a little patch of grass to pitch a tent. I don't need much!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #180
visualizerent
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Anyone know GPS coordinates for the campsite? I'm in the same mentality as the guys who just need a little patch of grass to pitch a tent. I don't need much!
Waay too hot for DV!
Just head to Packer Lake Sierra County and ask around, pretty small area.

Try a Pirelli MT 43 in the rear and knobbie in front like a Dunlop 606. Plenty of traction at low pressure settngs, saves the trails. Great rock grip.
What bike are u on again? Jb