ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #196
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
sun or Monday

I might be able to come up Sunday night if there is any rides on Monday?

If not happy birthday catfish! Looks like a good turn out. Watch out for bigwan and the other sasquatch types they will make you think oh I can do that.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #197
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
I might be able to come up Sunday night if there is any rides on Monday?

If not happy birthday catfish! Looks like a good turn out. Watch out for bigwan and the other sasquatch types they will make you think oh I can do that.

Hi Cory,

I'm packing up camp & driving home on Monday. Probably not riding that day. Sorry.

Thanks for the birthday wishes & we'll catch you on the next ride!

Almost packed,

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #198
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Hi Cory,

I'm packing up camp & driving home on Monday. Probably not riding that day. Sorry.

Thanks for the birthday wishes & we'll catch you on the next ride!

Almost packed,

Catfish ...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE,YOU OLD MAN...

HAVE A GREAT RIDE THIS WEEKEND!

WE WILL BE UP ON THE KERN PLATAEU...WILL COMPARE RR NEXT WEEK.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #199
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
I'm not going to make it. Have fun and be safe....
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #200
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
Are you still riding the TAT. That some serious miles you need to put in to make by next week. If you do make it to Reno stop at RMS (Reno Moto Sports) for tires their prices are fair and they will mount the tires while you wait. Ask for a TAT discount, don't no if you'll get one but they give a discount to Mrann racers so why not.
Yeah, still riding the TAT, but will skip Nevada and ride through to Downie, then head south to vegas and back up to where the TAT starts in Nevada to ride it. At least, that's the current plan.
I'll check out RMS for sure. If I ever find phone service I might call them to see what they have in stock. I'm not really concerned with the DOT approval stamp as I'm not riding much asphalt.

I'm on a DRZ400 disguised as a KTM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #201
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 208
Is it tomorrow yet? I'm gonna try and catch you guys Thurs AM before you head out riding.
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
THANKS for the trail recommendations everyone. We'll be discussing details in camp, and do our best to point folks to safe routes.

Any more for 7:00pm Friday dinner at the lodge? Headcount popped up to 10 so far!

I'm loading the truck in the morning & driving up! Baja Joe & 2 of my Baja buddies are arriving tomorrow also.

Seeya when you get there!

Catfish ...
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #202
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I'm super jelly right now. Languishing at work all weekend, as is usual these days.

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159697770713381
TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #203
visualizerent
Raconteur

OK the fun's already started, only 50 miles of beautiful Downieville singletrack today primarily due to the heat and the D.T's as happy hour fast approached...6 riders today lead by none other than local AA enduro legend and trail master Dave Wood. Lots to learn here...

DAVE WOOD

BIRTHDAY BOY-CATFISH FAR LEFT

JOE, JIM, ANDERS

DAVE WOOD, JIM, ANDERS, BAJA JOE

YERS TRULY COOLING OFF IN PAULEY CREEK

A deluge of a thunderstorm hit at dinner time today (Thurs), so the trails should be perfect this weekend.

EVENING DELUGE

I'll be back up Sat AM. 0800hrs for a 0900 key time

Juan
Nevada City
Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #204
visualizerent
Raconteur

First Divide Trail video

FIRST DIVIDE TRAIL

From Thursday's ride, an easy trail, smoother and wider than Second Divide trail.
It only looks scary due to the GoPro fish eye lens...you won't even see what's off the edge, too busy looking ahead.

If yer coming up, bring more ICE, and TONIC WATER.

Juan
Nevada City

visualizerent screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 06:44 AM
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #205
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

I MIGHT make the dinner at 7. Not in the right state yet.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #206
visualizerent
Raconteur

Keep paddling...I hear banjos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I MIGHT make the dinner at 7. Not in the right state yet.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #207
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Apparently Downieville is not the best place to try riding Singletrack for the first time in my life.
I was expecting something more like a tight narrow track through the forest.
Instead, here's what you guys consider an easy route.

I bailed very shortly into the first ride, realizing I was in over my head and riding worse than normal anyway and this could make for a bad day for all of us. After a milkshake I started feeling and riding better on some jeep routes.

Thanks to fantastic instruction from Dave and Mike I learned more in that day than the previous 6,000 miles of my trip.
I spent this morning riding the easier butcher ranch extension over and over, then rode the OHV trail, practicing those techniques.
At first, I felt a little frustrated about making a 2,000 mile detour off my route and not actually getting to ride any with you guy. Not anymore - totally worth it noticing how my tight cornering is significantly better.

But, no, I still have not, and probably never will do that "do a stoppie with the bars at full lock and use you legs to kick the bike 180* while the back is in the air" technique.

I had a great time meeting and riding with you, and hope to see you all again in the future.

Made it to San Frasisco this evening, will try to post some pics tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #208
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,403
Catfish got older?
Dave Wood really exists?
It rained?
Wish this work thing didn't get in my way.....
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #209
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Thumb

Quote:
Apparently Downieville is not the best place to try riding Singletrack for the first time in my life.
Instead, here's what you guys consider an easy route.

I bailed very shortly into the first ride, realizing I was in over my head and riding worse than normal anyway and this could make for a bad day for all of us. After a milkshake I started feeling and riding better on some jeep routes.

Thanks to fantastic instruction from Dave and Mike I learned more in that day than the previous 6,000 miles of my trip.
I spent this morning riding the easier butcher ranch extension over and over, then rode the OHV trail, practicing those techniques.
At first, I felt a little frustrated about making a 2,000 mile detour off my route and not actually getting to ride any with you guy. Not anymore - totally worth it noticing how my tight cornering is significantly better.

But, no, I still have not, and probably never will do that "do a stoppie with the bars at full lock and use you legs to kick the bike 180* while the back is in the air" technique.

I had a great time meeting and riding with you, and hope to see you all again in the future.

Hey, you might not be great at tight st, but you are no doubt a master at the long haul. I hear tell you rode 36 hrs straight to make it on a DRZ no less. Quite a feat in my book.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #210
visualizerent
Raconteur

Skippii yer a great sport! and long distance endurance rider. Love the Hobbit analogy!

Plus you give a great interview...check it out..."fun with Skippii"

We'll keep track of your TAT Milkshake Tour here...http://www.skippii.com/

Juan
Nevada City

Quote:
Instead, here's what you guys consider an easy route...