ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #61
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 959
More Upper Salmon Lake

http://mypacificnorthwest.blogspot.c...rt-3-of-3.html

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #62
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 575
Thanks Fletch, Stu, Mike, & Juan for the great trail & cemetery info. I'm adding waypoints for
each to my gpx file. Sounds like the N->S road direction thru Poker Flat should be the only
adv-bike way, unless they're good with steep & rocks. So, Sharon's N->S DS route should work
for the adventurous ones.

This being advrider, I expect some to ride their adv bikes to camp & in the area. We need
routes for them to ride also. I'm looking at a LaPorte-for-lunch adv loop that would include
Little Grass Valley Reservoir & the cemeteries.

I'm studying my "Downieville & Lakes Basin Trail Guide" and working on singletrack loops
also. Let me know if you have a favorite loop you'd recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
We've had good luck dry camping just East of Pack Saddle above Packer Lake, right off the pavement.
Nice and quiet and private. TONS of stars at night. Good parking/camping spots. Close to enough trails
without a plate.

Juan
That road (Co621, FR-93) in the trail guide looks paved all the way to the PCT! How close is the nearest lake for a swim, and pit-toilet for those in need? I like private spots, if everyone is comfortable with dry camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
So I'm pretty much off the fence on this one and looking forward to it. Do I need to make a reservation at the camp ground or are we piggy backing on sites already reserved and at which camp ground. I'll probably be tent camping as opposed to bringing the camper. Thursday-Sunday. (maybe show up Wed. night to maximise riding time.) I'm going to bring my WR450f and maybe the XR for road use.

Most of the reserve-able sites at the popular CGs (like Sardine Lake CG) are already booked for our weekend. For lake & pit-toilet access, I'm still leaning towards Gold Lake CG. No reservations, 1st come 1st serve, 37 camp sites, $10/site/night, 6 people/site, 2 vehicles/site, etc... If we arrive on Thursday at the latest we should be able to find plenty of sites there

Unless Juan sells us on his favorite spot. In any case, NO reservations required at the places we are considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Can't make this work for the end of the month but I will get up there!!!!

Yea, KM is a little closer for y'all, huh? I was kinda looking forward to your famous cooking though. Say Hi! to Perry & the Grinch & the gang for me!

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #63
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Thanks Fletch, Stu, Mike, & Juan for the great trail & cemetery info. I'm adding waypoints for
each to my gpx file. Sounds like the N->S road direction thru Poker Flat should be the only
adv-bike way, unless they're good with steep & rocks. So, Sharon's N->S DS route should work
for the adventurous ones.

This being advrider, I expect some to ride their adv bikes to camp & in the area. We need
routes for them to ride also. I'm looking at a LaPorte-for-lunch adv loop that would include
Little Grass Valley Reservoir & the cemeteries.

I'm studying my "Downieville & Lakes Basin Trail Guide" and working on singletrack loops
also. Let me know if you have a favorite loop you'd recommend.

That road (Co621, FR-93) in the trail guide looks paved all the way to the PCT! How close is the nearest lake for a swim, and pit-toilet for those in need? I like private spots, if everyone is comfortable with dry camping.

Most of the reserve-able sites at the popular CGs (like Sardine Lake CG) are already booked for our weekend. For lake & pit-toilet access, I'm still leaning towards Gold Lake CG. No reservations, 1st come 1st serve, 37 camp sites, $10/site/night, 6 people/site, 2 vehicles/site, etc... If we arrive on Thursday at the latest we should be able to find plenty of sites there

Unless Juan sells us on his favorite spot. In any case, NO reservations required at the places we are considering.

Yea, KM is a little closer for y'all, huh? I was kinda looking forward to your famous cooking though. Say Hi! to Perry & the Grinch & the gang for me!

Catfish ...
Hi Mike, from the gang. This sounds like a good one in the making, I don't know if I can pull it off yet or not. Downieville is definitely on the short list.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #64
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Hi Mike, from the gang. This sounds like a good one in the making, I don't know if I can pull it off yet or not. Downieville is definitely on the short list.
He'll yes it is
Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #65
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Catfish, A good loop for the adv bikes and avoiding the poker flat hill would be slab it to Johnsville thru the state park on a cool dirt rd and then out to Quincy Laporte Rd. Down to Laporte for lunch. Then onto the Howland cemetery. I not sure the names of the roads going forward but you can stay on dirt and it will bring you back to the Johnsville rd and back to the state park and then slab it back. I have riden this once and there is two little creek crossings that will challenge a big bike a little, but doingable.

Depending on what is being riden you could go straight instead of turning back up Gold Lakes Hwy. and continue on down to 49 and loop back to Bassetts and up to Gold Lake campground. That section of 49 is very twisty and a lot of fun even on a 450. It has a reputation and has claimed a few. It even has a billboard warning of deadmans curves ahead.

Also don't forget a trip up to the Sierra Buttes lookout. The ride is easy it's the stairs up to the lookout that will get ya.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #66
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,490
There's a small chance this might work out well for me. I'll be riding the TAT, starting in 3 weeks and want to make a bunch of detours to do some single-track stuff.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #67
Mike Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
The Plumas N.F Back Country Discovery Trail starts in La Porte and goes through Howland Flats and other cool points of interest, it could be used as part of a loop that would be all bike friendly, and has a Poker Flat "4 wheel drive alternate route" for anyone wanting that action.

Mike
Mike Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #68
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dirt View Post
The Plumas N.F Back Country Discovery Trail starts in La Porte and goes through Howland Flats and other cool points of interest, it could be used as part of a loop that would be all bike friendly, and has a Poker Flat "4 wheel drive alternate route" for anyone wanting that action.

Mike
This has we quite intrigued, do you have tracks or know of a detailed map of this???????
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #69
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
Catfish, A good loop for the adv bikes and avoiding the poker flat hill would be slab it to Johnsville thru the state park on a cool dirt rd and then out to Quincy Laporte Rd. Down to Laporte for lunch. Then onto the Howland cemetery. I not sure the names of the roads going forward but you can stay on dirt and it will bring you back to the Johnsville rd and back to the state park and then slab it back. I have riden this once and there is two little creek crossings that will challenge a big bike a little, but doingable.

Depending on what is being riden you could go straight instead of turning back up Gold Lakes Hwy. and continue on down to 49 and loop back to Bassetts and up to Gold Lake campground. That section of 49 is very twisty and a lot of fun even on a 450. It has a reputation and has claimed a few. It even has a billboard warning of deadmans curves ahead.

Also don't forget a trip up to the Sierra Buttes lookout. The ride is easy it's the stairs up to the lookout that will get ya.

Great suggestions! I've done Johnsville & LaPorte area many times on my Caponord. That section of Hwy-49
is moto-SEX! Actually Quincy-LaPorte & Bucks Lake roads are also.

I've learned of Saddleback Mtn & Mills Peak Lookouts in the area too. We'll have several good adv loops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dirt View Post

Mike

I had not heard of this discovery trail. I bet google knows about it ...

Thanks for more local clues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
This has we quite intrigued, do you have tracks or know of a detailed map of this???????

Yeap, google knows ALL! Try the Official Trail Guide. Yes, that's detailed enough to draw a track to follow it
with city navigator in mapsource or basecamp. Maybe when I get a little more time.

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #70
Mike Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
On the Plumas N.F. website there is a guide that shows the route with maps and all the points of interest . Called the "Backcountry Discovery Trail" it's 146 miles ,well marked and goes through some nice country. Mostly forest service roads with 71 miles of alternate routes for " short wheelbase 4-wheeled vehicles ".

Mike
Mike Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #71
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
adv-bike way, unless they're good with steep & rocks.

I haven't been there for many years. I'm sure it's got easier since then.

Hope to see you at Gold Lake CG (and drink all your beer) .
Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #72
K. L. Rocket

Mills Peak Lookout

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveho...n/photostream/

View Larger Map

Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #73
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 208
Here's the dry camping spot we've used before for medium sized motorcycle groups. I'll have to check on fire regs,
there's a nice big fire ring (see pic) and lotsa fairly level parking. Camp toilets and potable water down at the Packsaddle
campground. You can hit the trails from here on a dirt bike.

ZOOMED IN...

Johnsville McCrea road anyone?
A great big bike ride/loop. Here's a trip report I posted over on Pashnit last year on a KLR650...
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthr...t=33584&page=2

Sierra Buttes?
Here ya go....a video from last year.
http://youtu.be/HiQ4jxfC9x0

At about 2:08 in the video I snuck this in...this tested the limits of my nerve...and I chickened out.
This is a fantastic (except fer that damn log crossing) and challenging little known trail in the area near Johnsville McCrea Rd.

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY ACROSS, AND IT'S A LONG AND DIFFICULT WAY BACK.

Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #74
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
June 1 fire restrictions went into effect in TNF. No fires in unimproved camps. Fires can only be in improved sites that have a campground host like Sardine or I assume Gold lake. This what I heard from a Truckee fire guy on the local radio last week.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #75
K. L. Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Johnsville McCrea road anyone?
A great big bike ride/loop. Here's a trip report I posted over on Pashnit last year on a KLR650...
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthr...t=33584&page=2
Nice RR, thanks!