ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #76
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 955
Saddleback Mountain Lookout

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/28020641

NYT article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/03/us/03lookout.html

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/Gep3b

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #77
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Hi Mike, from the gang. This sounds like a good one in the making, I don't know if I can pull it off yet or not. Downieville is definitely on the short list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
He'll yes it is

Hi Perry. Yes, you so.cal guys should get up there sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I haven't been there for many years. I'm sure it's got easier since then.

Hope to see you at Gold Lake CG (and drink all your beer) .

Well, you can drink EVERY beer I bring. Can you say Absolute & tonic with a big piece of lime?

Catfish ...
catfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #78
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Here's the dry camping spot we've used before for medium sized motorcycle groups. I'll have to check on fire regs,
there's a nice big fire ring (see pic) and lotsa fairly level parking. Camp toilets and potable water down at the Packsaddle
campground. You can hit the trails from here on a dirt bike.
Johnsville McCrea road anyone?
A great big bike ride/loop. Here's a trip report I posted over on Pashnit last year on a KLR650...
Sierra Buttes?
Here ya go....a video from last year.

Damn, the Sharon & Juan PR machines just keep chugging along! I sure hope you both show up!

Juan, your secret camp spot looks COOL! I did not realize all three of those roads (93, Butcher Ranch, & Co621) were all paved. Tempting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
June 1 fire restrictions went into effect in TNF. No fires in unimproved camps. Fires can only be in improved sites that have a campground host like Sardine or I assume Gold lake. This what I heard from a Truckee fire guy on the local radio last week.

I just checked Plumas N.F. and same restrictions. Gold lake, sardine lake, pack saddle CGs can have fires. Secret dispersed campsites can only have propane/gas devices if you have a current fire permit. No camp fires.

So its toilets & camp fires at Gold Lake CG, or dispersed camping with no fires & toilets within riding range. If you are planning to camp with us, let me know your preference.

Catfish ...
Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #79
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Damn, the Sharon & Juan PR machines just keep chugging along! I sure hope you both show up!
No charge either way.

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #80
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Well, you can drink EVERY beer I bring. Can you say Absolute & tonic with a big piece of lime?

Catfish ...
You had me at Gin and tonic

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #81
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
No disrespect to Juan, but that spot is not that special other than being convenient to the single track trails. It's where we usually stage for day rides. Besides that what fun is camping without a campfire. Something about fires that brings out the best in people. Well that and ample supply of alcohol. Gold Lake is the best bet. Like I said before the only down side of Gold Lake is the stretch of nasty jeep road going to the single tracks. It's fun in the morning and can get old at the end of the day when your tired going back. The key is not to over due it. With several days you have plenty of time to get to all of Downieville.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #82
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,492
The/A campground has my vote. Since the plan is to get there Wed. night or thurs morning, getting sites should be no problem. Plus I think that security is probably better in the camp ground than pirate camping if all are out riding.
(I may be totally wrong on that one but it seems to make since.)
Eric

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #83
azimuth551
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Is everyone riding their bikes in, I plan to ride mine in. I know it's a few weeks away, but do I need to get a mini stove and rations for food and coffee? I will bring what I can as far as food and of course Goose and Tonic. I won't be there probably until Friday afternoon.

Scorpion, you planing on going too? Riding in? I think I can get there on mostly dirt.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #84
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,492
driving up with dirt bikes. I will have a camp stove and such with me. Oh, and firewood.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #85
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Im going to make a real effort to go, I'm probably going to truck my 525 in unless a plate isn't an issue and Ill probably bring my 250.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #86
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,482
I'll be riding in from Virginia. Not sure what day I'll arrive - depends on weather, etc. I've got several years of offroad riding, but have never done singletrack before - but have always wanted to. Anything I should know?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #87
Mike Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I'll be riding in from Virginia. Not sure what day I'll arrive - depends on weather, etc. I've got several years of offroad riding, but have never done singletrack before - but have always wanted to. Anything I should know?
That's one hell of a ride in !!
Mike Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #88
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dirt View Post
That's one hell of a ride in !!
Think about how much gas would cost if I trailered it in!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #89
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
You had me at Gin and tonic

You bring the gin & I'll bring the vodka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
The/A campground has my vote. Since the plan is to get there Wed. night or thurs morning, getting sites should be no problem. Plus I think that security is probably better in the camp ground than pirate camping if all are out riding.
(I may be totally wrong on that one but it seems to make since.)
Eric

Yeah, Gold Lake CG still sounds like the best one for this group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth551 View Post
Is everyone riding their bikes in, I plan to ride mine in. I know it's a few weeks away, but do I need to get a mini stove and rations for food and coffee? I will bring what I can as far as food and of course Goose and Tonic. I won't be there probably until Friday afternoon.

Scorpion, you planing on going too? Riding in? I think I can get there on mostly dirt.

I will have a 2-burner propane stove, some food, & some water. Probably not enough for others at every meal, unless they make arrangements for me to bring more. Bassett Station is 7 miles & the Graeagle Store 9 miles from camp. Easy places to get food, water, ice, etc...

Some Goose, 'eh? Mmmm ... more good vodka!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
driving up with dirt bikes. I will have a camp stove and such with me. Oh, and firewood.

Yes, everyone who can should bring some firewood. I'll be trucking Ms.Beta and my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
Im going to make a real effort to go, I'm probably going to truck my 525 in unless a plate isn't an issue and Ill probably bring my 250.

A plate will get you MORE places other than the ohv trails between Downieville & Gold Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post

Virginia? REALLY?!? WOW! What are you riding?

Catfish ...
Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #90
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 421
Oh that Chimney rock trail looks sooo nice! I'm going to try to make this fit my schedule if someone can promise to ride that trail with me!!!???

I'll bring my plated KTM 2 stroke. And maybe a buddy or two.
Nelson

bluegroove screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 10:59 PM
bluegroove is offline   Reply With Quote