ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #106
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
You can ride Saline Valley Road from one end to the other. It's the longest dirt road in California, I think it's about 90 miles pavement to pavement.

I rode it from North-South one August 8th with my equally intelligent riding partner, there wasn't exactly a lot of traffic...

If you do it, make sure to have mega-gallons of water, inner tubes, and a space blanket (for shade if you do have a problem).

Edit: If you have the gas range, you can make a right onto 168 at the northern end of SV road, make the left onto White Mountain Road, take that up the hill and then drop down on Silver Canyon, which will put you in Bishop...

Edit 2: North of there, Casa Diablo Road will take you through the Volcanic Tablelands...
Thanks! That sounds awesome. If I do that, I will blast "Them" and "Abigail" on my mp3 player in your honor!

Someone else suggested that I go farther west and then take Highway 1 all the way up along the coast. Originally I didn't want to do that with knobbies, but since I'm planning to change tires in San Fransisco before Downieville, I guess it doesn't matter if I wear them out.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #107
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Also: any dirt route suggestions from San Fransico to Gold Lake?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #108
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Sounds like you guys will be roughing it! I'll be up the Lost Coast with less dirt worthy company. It's likely my Yambler will be the most dirt oriented machine in the group...

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159697770713381
TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #109
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Thanks! That sounds awesome. If I do that, I will blast "Them" and "Abigail" on my mp3 player in your honor!
Make sure to push your bike down the stairs on July 7th, 1777, then.

Quote:
Also: any dirt route suggestions from San Fransico to Gold Lake?
To add SF into the route I suggested, you will have to ride over the Sierras, across the Central Valley and then back again...

But anyway, I'm all for an approach to Gold Lake campground on as much forest road as possible.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #110
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I rode trails there at Don Ivan's rides http://www.actdualsport.com/. And it's awesome. I did Chimney, and some other "special" secret trails.
Looks like I'll be riding in on my tiger and then Mountain biking( dont have a dirt bike at the moment).

Art, its COOL you are going to join us! Shame you got rid of your 525. That was a good one!

I looked at the tracks and yes, north on Red Ant & Fir Cap trails, and then south on Herkimer (shhh...)! That looks like a fun loop north of Downieville.

Quote:
You can ride Saline Valley Road from one end to the other. It's the longest dirt road in California, I think it's about 90 miles pavement to pavement.

I rode it from North-South one August 8th with my equally intelligent riding partner, there wasn't exactly a lot of traffic...

If you do it, make sure to have mega-gallons of water, inner tubes, and a space blanket (for shade if you do have a problem).

Death Valley in July or August?!? YIKES!!! Early May is the latest I'll ride thru there!

Start drinking the mega-gallons of water a couple of days before, & good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
OK, I got the dates off for this weekend of debauchery and Ibuprofen!..
Here's another neat historic as of yet undesignated trail not far from Gold Lake we could check out on the small bikes.
HISTORIC-UNDESIGNATED TRAIL NEAR GOLD LAKE
DRAMATIC BUTCHER RANCH ROAD-SUITABLE FOR BIG BIKES
Juan

Excellent Juan! I'm looking to meeting & riding with you!

Quote:

Someone else suggested that I go farther west and then take Highway 1 all the way up along the coast. Originally I didn't want to do that with knobbies, but since I'm planning to change tires in San Fransisco before Downieville, I guess it doesn't matter if I wear them out.

WOW! Good luck on your BIG ride! I sure hope you make it to Gold Lake.

Quote:
But anyway, I'm all for an approach to Gold Lake campground on as much forest road as possible.

Hopefully the locals will share some in-coming routes. I'll propose a few next week after I look at some old tracks.

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #111
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I think the question was the most dirt from SF to Downie. I don't really know other than one would obviously would have to slab a while out of the city to reach the foothills then I am sure you could figure out a dirt route to Downie.
One suggestion is make your way up to Chico. From there I know you can dirt it all the way to Downie. A FS map and a gps will get you there. The other way would be to make it to Forest Hill and dirt from there. Was this info for the guy riding TAT from Virginia? If so I will add that once you are into the TNF you could stay on dirt back to the TAT if you want.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #112
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
I think the question was the most dirt from SF to Downie. I don't really know other than one would obviously would have to slab a while out of the city to reach the foothills then I am sure you could figure out a dirt route to Downie.
One suggestion is make your way up to Chico. From there I know you can dirt it all the way to Downie. A FS map and a gps will get you there. The other way would be to make it to Forest Hill and dirt from there. Was this info for the guy riding TAT from Virginia? If so I will add that once you are into the TNF you could stay on dirt back to the TAT if you want.
Going up to Foresthill or Chico would work, but one could keep the dirt to slab ratio higher and get to dirt sooner (couple hours from SF) if one goes from SF up 80 to Colfax. Up 174 to You Bet Road and mostly dirt from there all the way to DV, passing through a number of small, former mining towns. Travel part of Henness Pass, historic trans-Sierra route.

Lots of guys here could give detailed instructions for this route.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #113
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,482
Basic dirt route Colfax to Gold Lake.

I have not traveled all of this route, but the only part I am unsure of is the Butcher Ranch section. All the rest I would have no problem solo on my 950.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...Y.kD-EY0doGFg8

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #114
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 955
Pacific Crest Quest route: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111885.

Salmon Creek Swimming Hole

http://mypacificnorthwest.blogspot.c...rt-3-of-3.html

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #115
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Basic dirt route Colfax to Gold Lake.

I have not traveled all of this route, but the only part I am unsure of is the Butcher Ranch section. All the rest I would have no problem solo on my 950.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...Y.kD-EY0doGFg8
If it's the final leg on your map that heads uphill from Union Flat campground on 49, that is an easy dirt road. I came down it after exploring around the summit and deciding to not try to ride the KLR down a mountain bike trail.

One thing you guys might want to look at is Sierra Buttes road / Columbo Mine road, heading uphill from Sierra City (it branches off from the road to the dump transfer station above town) There is some mining stuff along the route. The road has rocks and rock steps but you guys seem to know what you're doing.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #116
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Google decided to take Haul road too, which doesn't go through. I didn't pay attention. There are a couple other roads that I have not been on in this route, but sources say they are no problem.

That being said, I haven't ridden up the 49 to Downieville in a while so I will most likely just scoot up that way.

My Ride Reports
Old 06-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #117
Baja_Joe
Every mile KOTW 2011

Oddometer: 143
I’m in for a few days of SWEET single track. I am lucky to live in the area and ride Downieville are often. There seems to be some great local riders heading over who know the area well. I am sure they can help offer advice once we are all in camp.

I will be looking to ride some of the more technical single track the area has to offer. My bike of choice for this area is my trusty street legal DR350 with low gearing, a quiet muffler, and low pressure trials tire.

Below are options for traveling some great routes from Grass Valley to Gold Lake via dirt roads.

DS Travel from Bay Area to Gold Lake.
· My 2 cents would be to slab it up to Grass Valley / Nevada City. If you get up here late the Nevada County Fair Grounds is a great place to camp for the night. Pitch a tent by the trout pond on the grass and go into town for a quick bite and a cold pop.
· From there I would suggest a few ways to ride some epic dirt roads over to Downieville. My wife and I ride this area two up on a 950, but as always YMMV. So the legal side of me says check you maps and load up your GPS to find a route that works for you. I just put all this down from memory so do your homework as I may have a few names confused. Let’s begin…

Nevada City to Edwards Crossing to Malakoff Diggins to either:
· Grizzly Rd (before Malakoff) to Tyler Foote Crossing (this is a great run is easy ride) to Allegany.
Or
· N Bloomfield / Graniteville Rd to Mooresflat Rd to German Bar Rd to Plumbago Rd (this way is also very fun with a little bit more rocky)
Allegany (cold pop stop, hydrate, important)
Now here there are options again. Most might go:
· Hells Half Acre to Henness Pass to Mountain House. This drops you onto Hwy 49 at Goodyears Creek.
· A great road ride into Downieville. Beautiful ride on the best street road along the Yuba River.
Or I might suggest for a bit more fun you take this route:
· Hells half Acre to either FS Rd 304 or Pliocene Ridge Road to Henness Pass Rd.
· Then there are options to reach Galloway Ridge that drops steep down into Downieville. This is a long steep downhill road and will test your brakes fully loaded. Use the tranny not the brake FWIW.
· Downieville; This would be a good place to gas up and get a cold pop plus anything else you might need.
OR
Allegany to Bassetts
· If all you need is gas that a third option is to cruise Henness Pass Road all the way east to Yuba Pass to FS 54(?) . This drops you down direct into Bassetts. Not too much there. Just gas and small store.
· Then ride the pavement up to Gold Lakes.
OR…..And finally if your are really up for more fun
· Via Downieville (get your supplies, hydrate, important) head over to Sierra City via Hwy 49. Pavement but really nice. Then climb up the Sierra Buttes Rd all the way up the switch backs to the top and hook up with Butcher Ranch Road.
· This will take you over to Packer Lake Saddle (Packer Lake) and down out to Gold Lake Hwy. Do not take Butcher Ranch Road all the way over to Gold Lake. It’s a bit rough for a long end of the day and some say a bit much for a loaded ADV big bike, again YMMV. IMO, After a long day take the easy way out past Packer Lake Saddle.

Any question just ask and I am sure the other area riders can offer their ideas. See you in July

Cheers,

Baja Joe

Old 06-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #118
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Thanks Joe. I thought Butcher Ranch might be an issue. Good to get confirmation.

Side note: North Bloomfield at Edwards Crossing sucks. Always has, always will. It is a heavily traveled dirt/gravel road that is washboarded up and is like riding on marbles. Fortunately, the bad part is only a few miles long so if you stick with it you get to reap the rewards of Malakoff and beyond.

My Ride Reports
Old 06-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #119
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to share all that!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #120
Slyko
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Yup,

That's me. We're slated for 9:00 am Downieville July 27, 2014. Meet in town and stage at the bottom of 1st Divide. We're doing Empire Creek, Chimney Rock, Poker Flat, & Sunshine trail. Kinda tight for big bikes but you're welcome to join. I ride a KTM 300 that is NOT street legal. This ride is a mixture of dirt roads, tight single track thru the woods, views, rocks, switchbacks & cliffs. We're going up to Chimney rock to Pokker Flat & back to the trucks via Sunshine Trail. I've seen what some of you crazy guys do with 600 lbs bikes & I can't. You're welcome to come!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1090331-downieville/

& yes I've been poaching your pics all day, You guys have years worth of fantastic shots, and great info. Call the INTERNET POLICE! I'm guilty as charged. YOU take some wonderful shots!

Now after all is said & done, all I've been told is Herkimer is a no-no. It will have to wait. Gee............................................... ...............

Slyko screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 05:36 AM
Slyko is offline   Reply With Quote