Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Epic Ride Reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Imfrank OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
The Great 48, for as long as it takes...

The Basics:
-2 weeks notice, submitted
-extraneous shit, sold
-new-to-me KLR, (kind of) ready to rock

The Plan: Solo from San Francisco>Vancouver via the 1, jump a tiny bit east then go south to New Mexico and ride back north via the Continental Divide with my old man (Hardworkingdog). From there, I will be spit balling the route with only the stars (...phone, shitty AAA maps) and wanderlust to guide me. I'm quite excited to explore the South and Great Lakes Region, but why plan something still months ahead?

The Timeline: what is that?

The Backstory: At the ripe old age of 25, I've come to know I'll never be an office marm. Following college, I worked as a rock climbing/sea cave kayaking guide seasonally, and travelled in between (I believe there is a long Ride report somewhere on here for my last 3 month Baja trip with HWD). After 2 years of wallowing wallowing well below the poverty line and loving it, I moved to SF and sold my soul to the Devil otherwise known as tech startup sales.

... After about 15 months working, saving aggressively, developing a drinking problem that arguable rivaled my Sophomore year of college, and lying awake at night while hobos shot up and screamed themselves silly outside my window- I SNAPPED. I told my company I was done, bought my lovely KLR, moved all my shit home to store, and am 10 days from departure.

The Promise: I'd like to share my story with you ADV'ers, and hopefully cross paths with many many more via the ADV Tent Space App. I will be writing both about the riding (pictures too), but moreso the personal journey and revelations I hope to achieve on this trip. Please follow and give feedback, and let me know if you ever want me to swing by your place on my journey! I'm a great cook, better cleaner, shitty guitar player, standard beer drinker, avid hiker, reckless rock climber, amateur philosopher, and a big fan of simply meeting people and hearing their stories (and writing a few of them down).

Cheers Guys, I look forward to sharing this with you.

-Bryn
Imfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,637
25 years old. You don't know shit.

Good thing or you wouldn't do this!

Good luck!

Wishing you a great, safe trip with many adventures. Email me when you get to Asheville.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,572
Lots of photos please!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Imfrank OP
Adventurer

I've dropped a pin over Asheville on my google Earth App with your handle!

I've had many friends say great things about the Asheville scene, looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
25 years old. You don't know shit.

Good thing or you wouldn't do this!

Good luck!

Wishing you a great, safe trip with many adventures. Email me when you get to Asheville.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Imfrank OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Lots of photos please!

Yessir!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Imfrank OP
Adventurer

Pissed

Ok, so quick updates as I'm a couple of days out from departure! Since finishing up at work last Friday I've spent the last 5 days frantcally trying to figure out what the fuck I'm doing and where I'm going. There's been equal parts route finding, wrenching, and gear accumulation/shedding as I approach departure.

Thought I'd share a few quick photos of some of the projects and struggles I'm sure all of you know prior to a long haul trip.

First off, here's my bike!

I love this KLR despite getting it with pretty high mileage. It came with lots of great farkles (throttle lock, frame guards, seat concepts saddle, highway pegs, thermobob kit, etc..) but I wanted to add a bit more pizzazz. I picked up a Lexx Exhaust for it right off the bat as the stocker was absolutely rusted out and made the bad look/sound like a turd.

PROOF!

Next project was a cheapo tool tube ala KLRforum I made from a Lincoln welding rod holder.

I gave a it a quick once over with some black Rustoleum to make it a bit more discrete and mounted it right onto my ski plate. For ten bucks and 30 mins. of work I'm pretty pleased (I just hope my tool roll fits...):

I also took off the rear tire/chain assembly to give everything a good once over and cleaning. I'm glad I did...

This above may not do it justice, but there was roughly an inch thick layer of scum on this front sprocket guard. Lots of therapeutic cleaning was done that day.

Moving, the thing easily taking up the most time is the endless indecision about what gear to bring... "Do I bring two or three shirts?... and wait is my batman shirt or my Norton shirt more comfortable" ARGH, I HATE IT. I think I've almost finished though. Below is most of my clothes, food, first aid kit, kitchen, and already packed in one side of my Ortlieb bags is camping gear (small thermarest, Marmot 30 bag, Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 Tent) :

And last but not least, figuring out my route. I have still not decided whether I'm heading north or south to start the trip, and I'm gonna a tiny bit bonkers. Here is me in the middle of a typical afternoon. Google earth open, Importing tracks I'll likely never use into Motionx GPS on my phone, and scanning through my 26 AAA Maps!

Tl;DR, 3-4 days out from departure, still have pretty much no idea what I'm doing besides starting the CDR June 23 with Hardworkingdog.

Serenity Now!
Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
RiderRick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Sounds like a terrific trip, I'm subscribed!
Have fun, stay safe and take lots of pics for us!

"A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but because of its persistence" Author Unknown
RiderRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
I doubt you are planning on coming through Fort Collins if you are going to ride the CDR, but we have tent space to offer and beer. Sadly, with a dozen breweries in town, most of it isn't standard - but we do have a Budweiser plant too .
Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,767
You get to the Dragon on a Sunday morning and I'll buy breakfast.

Have fun.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #10
goodquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
subscribed
goodquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Imfrank OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradical View Post
I doubt you are planning on coming through Fort Collins if you are going to ride the CDR, but we have tent space to offer and beer. Sadly, with a dozen breweries in town, most of it isn't standard - but we do have a Budweiser plant too .

You're on! I plan on doing a bit of an extended stay in CO due to the quality of riding, and my sister based out of Longmont. I've put yet another pin on google earth and let you know in advance if i make it your way!

Cheer bud
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
Imfrank OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
You get to the Dragon on a Sunday morning and I'll buy breakfast.

Have fun.
Yer on! Really looking forward to riding the gap/the smoky mountains in general. will let you know when I'm the area so you can start saving up
Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
Eelynnad
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Maybe I'll see you on the road, leaving from oakland around the same time to ride the continent for +1 year
Eelynnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
Outlander2188
Ready to plunder

Oddometer: 401
Best of luck with the trip!

And I hope you find what you are looking for.
Outlander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
KLR 41B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Iowa

If You decide to ride through Iowa, the best part is in the Northeast corner, I have a couple acres with a firepit, free beer and a shop with some extra KLR parts laying around.
KLR 41B is offline   Reply With Quote