Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
Go Jeff
Thanks Guy!!
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Tahoe, had the same urge in 1991 just as the 'wall' was coming down to do E/W Berlin and parts of Russia.

I did end up with 2 others as you will see in the rr below.

You will have the time of your life, you will have a great adventure.

ride smart, gale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Oddometer: 1,407
The one piece of gear I really did not want to "upgrade" for this trip was my stove. I have had my Brunton Raptor for a few years. It is compact, lightweight, elegant, easy to use, maintenance free, and worth whatever I paid for it and then some.

My only issue is that it uses screw on canisters for fuel.

I have no idea if these are available in Mongolia. I have been emailing a fellow inmate who is now living in Ulanbataar with his family. He says he can find other fuel canisters, but not the screw on ones I will be needing. Since you can't bring these canisters on the plane, and they are too big to smuggle in my ass, I decided to get another stove. I bought the same stove Joe Motocross used in Mongolia...

I am not super stoked about going this route, but it will run on the same gas the bike runs on. That is convenient. I had a MSR Whisperlite for years and it served me well. I always eventually got it going and I can say I have never burned a tent down in the process. I do remember Joe Motocross saying it had two temp settings:

Off and weld.

Great. If anyone here does have a lead on threaded canisters in UB, please email or PM me. I would love to return this and bring my Raptor.

Cheers all,

Tahoe
Old 05-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Alright, I just want to make sure of one thing. What are the visa requirements for getting to Mongolia?

I have read on the web that there are no requirements for US citizens. You just show up, get a stamp, and you are in.

I am going for less than 30 days. I will get a tourist stamp, right? I want to make sure I get this right... the first time!

Tahoe
Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #21
dalis9988
chachar

Oddometer: 5
It`s different world there but that`s the fun,see and learn.Good luck.
BTW I know what you talking about when you said all friend are busy family,work,kids. ETC. hard to find riding buddy. I learn ride alone and like Noah said it is fun. Good is you don`t take your beast(Tiger) there. I just got reed of my GS 800,these bike`s are not the right cup of tea for real adventure riding. Here in US its different story.
I am in and waiting for more of your story
dalis9988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #22
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 355
I'll be following guy!

Great to see someone local on both spots getting out there- I grew up in East Bay down the road from you, worked in Tahoe the last few years. Like your gear setup you got. I backpacked with the BigA for a while and it did well. Same with the MSR goods. Stoked for the trip
Old 05-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #23
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post
I'll be following guy!

Great to see someone local on both spots getting out there- I grew up in East Bay down the road from you, worked in Tahoe the last few years. Like your gear setup you got. I backpacked with the BigA for a while and it did well. Same with the MSR goods. Stoked for the trip
Thanks HD. I've been reading through your RR. I'll bet we know many of the same people around Truckee. I spent many years living in there. Best of luck on your trip and new job. Keep posting. Looking forward to following your journey.

Tahoe
Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #24
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Alright, I just want to make sure of one thing. What are the visa requirements for getting to Mongolia?

I have read on the web that there are no requirements for US citizens. You just show up, get a stamp, and you are in.

I am going for less than 30 days. I will get a tourist stamp, right? I want to make sure I get this right... the first time!

Tahoe
Visa on arrival for Americans.... They will give you the 90 day tourist stamp. No prior planning needed.

"Holders of US passport, who travel to Mongolia for official, private business and tourism for up to 90 days are exempted from visa requirements in accordance with the New Visa Policy, which is effective since July 18, 2001 ."

I've been using the MSR dragonfly. Although its as loud as a 747, it will boil water quickly or turn way down to simmer or saute. Also.. being able to pull fuel from the bike is great. Or the other way around.. when your bike runs out of fuel, you still have a small amount in the bottle. Its saved me from pushing that last 2 or 3 km to fuel on more then one occasion.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
Goofaroo
The Piddler

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
I've been using the MSR dragonfly. Although its as loud as a 747, it will boil water quickly or turn way down to simmer or saute. Also.. being able to pull fuel from the bike is great. Or the other way around.. when your bike runs out of fuel, you still have a small amount in the bottle. Its saved me from pushing that last 2 or 3 km to fuel on more then one occasion.
+1 I've had mine for about 15 years and it's been a real workhorse.
Goofaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #26
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Visa on arrival for Americans.... They will give you the 90 day tourist stamp. No prior planning needed.

"Holders of US passport, who travel to Mongolia for official, private business and tourism for up to 90 days are exempted from visa requirements in accordance with the New Visa Policy, which is effective since July 18, 2001 ."

Thanks Noah. I had read that too. I just wanted to throw it out there just to make sure. I had this dream where I was 10 pages into a RR and a week from my trip and someone asked, "Have you gotten your visa yet?"...

It will be handy to be able to pull fuel from the bike to cook with or to use the cooking fuel as backup in case I run out of gas. Those stoves are loud, but probably the right gear to bring. The last MSR I owned was bomber. I had it since the mid 90s and it ran like a champ.

Cheers,

JG
Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #27
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 323
Just something to think about.

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....r-warning.html
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #28
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post

Tahoe
Confirmed....US citizens get a visa on arrival.

Subscribed!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Thanks all for the great info!

I am really looking forward to this!!

JG
Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #30
gkostolny
bay area adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Subscribed. Let the living vicariously begin.

Need anyone to look after the triumph or the WRX while you're away?
gkostolny is offline   Reply With Quote