User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #31
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 280
Yyyeeeessss!!!

Can't wait to see this ride report and glad to see you're making it happen!! Subscribed and looking forward to pictures. And no more of this crickets b.s., lemme know when you want to take that tiger out!!
-T
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #32
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,804
i'll be looking for you as i ride thru east to west around the same time, i should be easy to spot from a mile away...I use the MSR, they work great as long as they are kept clean as the jet can get blocked...especially with bad gas
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #33
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkostolny View Post
Need anyone to look after the triumph or the WRX while you're away?
If I do, you'll be the first one I call. Have an awesome time in Spain and the Azores. Looking forward to your ride report...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #34
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTSQD View Post
Lemme know when you want to take that tiger out!!-T
For sure. We need to make something happen.

Stay tuned to see what I am trying to put together while I am over there...

I think you will like it...

JG
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #35
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i'll be looking for you as i ride thru east to west around the same time, i should be easy to spot from a mile away...I use the MSR, they work great as long as they are kept clean as the jet can get blocked...especially with bad gas
I will be keeping an eye out for you!

If you see a giant mushroom cloud on the horizon around supper time, it's probably me firing up that MSR stove. Send help...

JG
Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #36
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Adventure Spec Magadan Bags Mk 2s have arrived...

I have given a lot of thought about what type of luggage to take on this trip. When traveling here in the States and in Baja, I have always been a bit of a minimalist. I did a great trip around the US for 6 weeks in 2004 with just a backpack and a Givi top case on my F650GS Dakar. I want the option to carry just a bit more in Mongolia. I am not sure I will use all of that space, but I really wanted the option. I'm not going to have my usual top case/drysack combo available in Mongolia. It will be really interesting to have side bags. I usually don't use them here in California, as it might hinder my abilities to split lanes in traffic.

Given that I am going to be going solo, I am going to have to carry all of my gear myself. Soft luggage was always the obvious choice. The bike I will be riding already has side racks on it and is set up perfectly for soft luggage. I considered the choices from Wolfman, Giant Loop, Ortleib and Adventure Spec before making my decision.

It was a toss up between the Magadans and the Siskiyou Panniers. In the end, I chose the Magadan bags from Adventure Spec. I chose the Magadans because of several reasons, including construction, durability, size and price. I was able to get the Magadan bags delivered in 4 days from the UK for over $100 USD less than the Siskiyous.

I have to say that I am really impressed with the construction of the Magadan bags, including the interior liners. My only gripe is the velcro closure on the interior bags. Do dry bags really need a velcro closure? I don't know. IMHO, it just adds bulk when rolling the bags closed. Is is a deal breaker? Hells no. The bags are awesome...

The construction of the interior bag... Fully seam sealed. Very nice construction...

I picked up a pair of cables to lock the bags to the bike. This might help against any sticky fingers....

Like I said, I have yet to test out the bags. These are just initial impressions. I will be giving all of my gear a good shakedown in June. I think a camping trip up the coast with just my Mongolia gear will be in order before August...

Cheers all.

Tahoe
Old 05-31-2014, 12:53 AM   #37
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
..... only gripe is the velcro closure on the interior bags. Do dry bags really need a velcro closure? I don't know. IMHO, it just adds bulk when rolling the bags closed. Is is a deal breaker? Hells no. The bags are awesome...

Deal breaker? No, but the Velcro does make a very good fingernail breaker for the unwary.

At the KTM Rally in Colorado last fall I was in a couple of the monsoon deluges and I found the outer bags are almost waterproof all by themselves. However if submerged, the outer bags will fill with water through the roll top....The outer bags aren't dust proof though so you'll need the inner dry bags to keep things clean.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #38
bob66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Hey, that's a good idea to ride Mongolia with a Shineray.

What route do you plan in Mongolia?

Look how Magadan Paniers fit this bike; and you have a place for the tent above the headlamp; the tank is large enough so that you can put any tankbag there.

photos taken last year in Mongolia.

Cristian / Bob
bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #39
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob66 View Post
Hey, that's a good idea to ride Mongolia with a Shineray.

What route do you plan in Mongolia?

Right now my plan is to go west/southwest from UB to Kharakorin, Okhorn Valley, and Khangain Nuruu. I was planning on then heading up to Lake Khovsgol.

If you have any recommendations, let me know!

Cheers,

Tahoe
Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #40
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Count me in for that one. Planning on Mongolia in Aug/Sept 2014!!

JG
I remember when you posted that ^^^ in the Oso report...
...and now it's happening!

Go Jeff!!!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #41
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
I remember when you posted that ^^^ in the Oso report...
...and now it's happening!

Go Jeff!!!
Thank you Kelly and Matt for all of the inspiration to get out there and make things happen!! Hopefully I will put together a ride report that might be worthy of a little bit of your time. I doubt it will be the amazing blog that your RRs are, but I will do my best.

Cheers,

Tahoe

live2ridetahoe screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 01:34 PM
Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #42
bob66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Right now my plan is to go west/southwest from UB to Kharakorin, Okhorn Valley, and Khangain Nuruu. I was planning on then heading up to Lake Khovsgol.

If you have any recommendations, let me know!

Cheers,

Tahoe
From Kharkorin you can do a 1-day trip to a monastery. I think it's worth it. Here is my gps track from 2010. You can see the track when zooming in. We went to the monastery on the left side of the river (from Kharkorin) and returned the other side. The river was big, but fortunately not flowing fast. Anyway, at the returning (on the other side of the river) the landscape was more beautiful.

This is the river

Cristian / Bob
Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #43
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob66 View Post
From Kharkorin you can do a 1-day trip to a monastery. I think it's worth it. Here is my gps track from 2010. You can see the track when zooming in. We went to the monastery on the left side of the river (from Kharkorin) and returned the other side. The river was big, but fortunately not flowing fast. Anyway, at the returning (on the other side of the river) the landscape was more beautiful.

Cristian / Bob
Thanks for the GPS tracks Bob! I am definitely going to check out that monastery. It looks like a beautiful place from your photos. I am curious to see how big the river will be this year... time will tell.

Thanks for following along!

Tahoe
Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #44
bob66
Gnarly Adventurer

Considering that you'll ride a Chinese bike I can recommend you to go first on the right side so that you don't have to cross the river. And at returning, you can check how deep it is.

There at the monastery are many tourists, but it is very isolated place, you have to leave the bike and then walk half or one hour (don't remember). We took the horse

Bob / Cristian
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #45
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Well, it has been a little while since I posted in this thread. The prep for Mongolia has been in full swing tho. I find myself spending many waking hours thinking about what to bring, what to leave home, what I might need on the trip, where to go, etc. It really reminds me of having to take a final exam in school. You spend days and days studying and you finally get to a point where you say, "Screw it!! Just give me the test!! I'm ready!!" I think I am about at that point.

Much thanks to Ben S. Ben is an inmate from Australia who is living and working in UB. Ben has been super helpful with giving me great beta about the country. I am super grateful for the time you have taken to help a fellow traveler. I hope we can meet up when I get to UB. I'm buying!!

As a nurse in a rapidly changing healthcare system, I am interested in how locals on the steppe get their healthcare and who delivers it. A co worker of mine found out about my trip to Mongolia. She proceeded to tell me about her trip to China and Mongolia years ago where she studied natural/eastern healing techniques. She then told me about an organization called Nomadicare that delivers a combination of eastern and western medicine to the nomads of the steppe and taiga. I have contacted them about possibly observing and volunteering for a few days at the hospital in Hatgal near Lake Khovsgol. Hopefully I can line something up in the next week or so. I think it would be an amazing experience...

I am planning a shakedown trip to the Sierra this week to test out my packing and my new gear. I think I am pretty ready to get on my way. I'll figure out the small details when I get there. That's part of the adventure, right?

Thanks for following. More to come soon.

Tahoe