User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #46
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
This is great.

I love this site and how it motivates good folks to get out there and live their dream.

I was on the ride to Mongolia with JoeMotocross and I just wanted to offer my support. Mongolia was one of the coolest trips I have done. I can't wait to go back to that part of the world.

A couple of things.

The old Shineray Mustang. She is a good girl with not a lot of travel in the suspension. There is a max speed you can go on these roads and you will know when you have found it. Plan on not making a lot of miles each day until you get a feel for the bike and the roads. These roads can make a Hard man crumble.
This road may not look rough. But it ripped the rear axle off the a truck just like this one.
Mongolia 2012 - 1042

That the opportunity to connect with the locals.

Not many speak english, but they are always fun to talk to.
Mongolia 2012 - 0393
Head inside for some tea.
Mongolia 2012 - 0771
Mongolia 2012 - 1185

Just one word of caution about dogs in Mongolia. As you enter some town or pass a camp, dogs may run out to greet you. Not all of these dogs are friendly. They can bite so I highly suggest riding boots or thick pants to protect from the knee down. Michelle did get a nasty bite near the end of our trip. It didn't break the skin but left a nasty bruise. There is rabies in Mongolia.

Another word of caution. After this trip you will never be the same. Adventure will now be fixed to your DNA coursing through your veins. You will look at the world through different eyes.

Good Luck Live2ridetahoe. We are behind you.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #47
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuurrrt View Post

Just one word of caution about dogs in Mongolia. As you enter some town or pass a camp, dogs may run out to greet you. Not all of these dogs are friendly. They can bite so I highly suggest riding boots or thick pants to protect from the knee down. Michelle did get a nasty bite near the end of our trip. It didn't break the skin but left a nasty bruise. There is rabies in Mongolia.

Another word of caution. After this trip you will never be the same. Adventure will now be fixed to your DNA coursing through your veins. You will look at the world through different eyes.

Yes. Central Asia dogs are something to respect. Moto boots should do the trick.

2 weeks into my RTW my friend send me an email. "You have to accept the fact that you will never be able to live a normal life after this" These words have resonated with me and I'm starting to worry it is true

I think there are people on ADV who are almost as excited for your trip to start as you are
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #48
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 917
Sounds like a great trip.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #49
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuurrrt View Post
I love this site and how it motivates good folks to get out there and live their dream.

I was on the ride to Mongolia with JoeMotocross and I just wanted to offer my support. Mongolia was one of the coolest trips I have done. I can't wait to go back to that part of the world.

A couple of things.

The old Shineray Mustang. She is a good girl with not a lot of travel in the suspension. There is a max speed you can go on these roads and you will know when you have found it. Plan on not making a lot of miles each day until you get a feel for the bike and the roads. These roads can make a Hard man crumble.

Hi Buuurrrt!

Thanks for checking in. Your trip with Michelle and JM was a huge inspiration for me.

I would love a bike with a better suspension for the trip. I'm cautiously optimistic about the bike. Maybe we need to get together and figure out how to equip these bikes with a new KTM front end and rear suspension....

I remember Michelle getting bit by a dog on your trip. I'll be careful for sure. I have been warned by a few people about these dogs...

Thanks for following along Buuurrrt and again, thanks for the inspiration. If you can think of any "must see" things, please post here or PM me.

Cheers,

Tahoe
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #50
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Yes. Central Asia dogs are something to respect. Moto boots should do the trick.

2 weeks into my RTW my friend send me an email. "You have to accept the fact that you will never be able to live a normal life after this" These words have resonated with me and I'm starting to worry it is true

I think there are people on ADV who are almost as excited for your trip to start as you are
Thanks Noah. I am getting really excited about the trip as well. In less than two weeks from now I'll be camping on the steppe! Thank you for the inspiration!

Tahoe
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #51
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,929
Just finished the central route of Mongolia and ill be posting in the next few days...just an fyi...and plus +1 on the dogs...got chased for over a kilometre in deep sand last night as they kept trying to bite any part of me they could...good times!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #52
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I goth the name of a place in UB that sells KTMs from a famous inmate here. Having owned a 950 Adventure and having being stranded in Baja twice, I am a bit apprehensive.

What was it that caused you to be stranded on the 950? Good luck Ill be following...
Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #53
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossphoto View Post
What was it that caused you to be stranded on the 950? Good luck Ill be following...
My fuel pump went about 25 miles south of San Felipe. I got picked up by some Orange County firefighters and was drinking beer at a beach house a half an hour later. They brought me back to Carlsbad the next day where an extensive search for a KTM fuel pump yielded no results. This was in early 2005 on a 2005.5 950 Adventure. There wasn't a lot out there on issues with the bike other than the water pump seal and a few other issues. The only option I had at the time was to replace the pump with an off-the-shelf unit from NAPA auto. That pump (I realized later) worked at a higher psi than the stock Mitsubishi fuel pump. When the bike shut off, it hydrolocked the engine. This resulted in another trip back to the OC in the back of a pickup truck with a man and his son who were in Baja surfing. I think the issue has been addressed and I think there are now aftermarket solutions for the fuel pump.

Thanks for following along...

Tahoe
Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #54
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Oddometer: 589
That figures, I'm on a 2005.5 ADV too. But the fuel and water pump are now known issues and hopefully I remedied them and am prepped in case they go bad again... I'm headed out on a RTW in March... keep the rubber down....
Old 07-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #55
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,974
Excellent adventure!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #56
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,495
Have fun!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #57
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 444
This is going to be good,we want to do Mongolia.
Yes watch out for dog , we were chased down many times through Central Asia,one bit rear pillion peg and hung on for ages while mrs was kicking it off,big dog to….

https://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #58
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Excellent adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate63 View Post
This is going to be good,we want to do Mongolia.
Yes watch out for dog , we were chased down many times through Central Asia,one bit rear pillion peg and hung on for ages while mrs was kicking it off,big dog to….

https://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com

Thanks for coming along all!

I'll be sure to keep a distance from the doggies and watch out!! Maybe I should bring some bear spray or wasp spray with me just in case....

Tahoe
Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #59
Kazky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
That was really really cool. Hope to ride Mongolia one day. The furthest i've touched is kazakhstan..
Well done!
Kazky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #60
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazky View Post
That was really really cool. Hope to ride Mongolia one day. The furthest i've touched is kazakhstan..
Well done!
Thanks for checking in Kazky. I'd love to check out K-stan someday. I'm watching team Astana going down the Col d'Izoard in the Tour de France right now.

Cheers

Tahoe