Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #61
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 507
Hi tahoe,

This sounds like a fantastic trip,

I know you like your canister gas cooker, but I always think a small petrol stove makes more sense, as we almost all ride petrol motorcycles. I have a Coleman 533, there are other similar stoves out there too. Gas may be hard to find, but the bike always has fuel!

Luggage wise, some other inmates on here are manufacturing what look like superb softies, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927215 worth a look if you haven't already. I've read they are getting guys to test them for them on their rides.... maybe it's worth asking?

Anyway, have the time of your life and as always "Ride Safe"

Cheers
Potski
Old 07-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #62
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Hi tahoe,

This sounds like a fantastic trip,

I know you like your canister gas cooker, but I always think a small petrol stove makes more sense, as we almost all ride petrol motorcycles. I have a Coleman 533, there are other similar stoves out there too. Gas may be hard to find, but the bike always has fuel!

Luggage wise, some other inmates on here are manufacturing what look like superb softies, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927215 worth a look if you haven't already. I've read they are getting guys to test them for them on their rides.... maybe it's worth asking?

Anyway, have the time of your life and as always "Ride Safe"

Cheers
Potski
Hi Potski,

I am going with the small petrol stove. My contact in UB has been unable to locate canisters in the outdoor shops or the black market. Not a big deal, but I always liked the simplicity of the canister stove.

I went through the blog those guys set up about their bags. Their passion and their attention to details is impressive. I certainly wish them well. For now, I'll stick with what I've got, but I am certainly curious...

Cheers,

Tahoe

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #63
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

I am looking forward to leaving in a couple of days. My flight is from SFO to Seoul, SK. I have a two hour layover and then it's on to UB!

I have all of my gear strewn out in the office/library. Time to see what fits...

Tahoe

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #64
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 305
Good luck and ride safe, can't wait to see pictures!
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #65
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Ride safely and have an awesome time!!!

acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #66
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 323
I might have missed something but I think you need to check regulations for flying with a petrol stove of any type.
As a fall back; are you able to secure alcohol of hi enough strength to burn, perhaps something like "Heet". If you can source fuel alcohol you can build an alcohol burner on site very easily if you can get even 2 beer or soda cans, you will find many plans online. A Trangia stove might even be allowed to fly with you if you leave the screw top off the tank.
If nothing else you should check out the plans just in case you need the knowledge.

FYI Brasslite stoves are on sale right now. No connection to them other than as a satisfied user.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #67
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
I might have missed something but I think you need to check regulations for flying with a petrol stove of any type.
As a fall back; are you able to secure alcohol of hi enough strength to burn, perhaps something like "Heet". If you can source fuel alcohol you can build an alcohol burner on site very easily if you can get even 2 beer or soda cans, you will find many plans online. A Trangia stove might even be allowed to fly with you if you leave the screw top off the tank.
If nothing else you should check out the plans just in case you need the knowledge.

FYI Brasslite stoves are on sale right now. No connection to them other than as a satisfied user.
I did look into this when getting a new stove. To save myself any problems at the airport, I have not used my stove yet. It is still in the original packaging and the fuel bottle has never been used.

When I do get to UB, firing up the stove is job one. I will give it a thorough test before getting out to the countryside. I do have years of experience with MSR stoves, so I am comfortable with them. I have heard there is an outdoor store called Seven Summits in UB. They have stoves and fuel if my plans fail.

Of course, I will have to dismantle and clean the stove very well before coming back. Worse case scenario, I donate it/sell it to Cheke Tours with my fuel bottle for other travelers to use when they come. Maybe they'll hold it for me for a couple of years when I come back through UB on my way to Siberia....

Tahoe

Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #68
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Packing, sorting, and repacking...

Well, packing is in full swing. I am trying to stay minimal, while still trying to bring along what I think are essentials. One downside about traveling by yourself is that you have to carry all the gear. There is no splitting common gear between the group. I am the group.

I was thinking I'd be able to update this thread from the road. I am thinking now that that seems a bit ambitious and worrying about updating from Mongolia may take away from the spirit of the trip. How often are we able to leave tech behind and enjoy the moment. Although I bring a camera with me on trips, I find that many times I get home and only have a few photos. This doesn't mean that I didn't see anything worth taking a photo of on the journey. I find that when I am in a moment and really enjoying it, the act of taking a camera out and trying to capture it ruins the moment. I don't know if any of you feel the same way, but it's just something I've realized about myself when I travel.

As far as tech goes, I'm leaving the computer and iPad at home. My iPhone should be able to get the job done. I did pick up a Garmin 78SC from West Marine to assist with navigating. It was over $100 off over the July 4th holiday. I have been fiddling with it and it seems like a pretty good device for a starter sat nav. I loaded the latest firmware, Basecamp and downloaded waypoints from Walter Colebatch on HUBB. More updates can be found on the last page of that thread as well.

I am planning on picking up paper maps on Mongolia when I get to UB.

My office/library looks like a bomb went off in there. I have been packing and repacking, trying to eliminate all but what I think I will really need. Here are my tent, rain fly, poles, stakes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, down jacket and ground tarp all ready to be packed into my Seal Line 55L dry bag. I have been packing this way on trips for years. Just try to remember that the last thing into the dry bag is the first thing out. This is important to remember, especially if bad weather is forecasted.

Put you sleeping bag in first and your tent in last. If caught in a downpour while setting up, your tent and fly will be up and your cozy gear will be kept dry in the dry bag. Here is how I do it...

Like I said, this method has been serving me well for years. Many thanks to my buddy S.A. who taught me this method on a trip to Baja years ago.

On with the packing...

Tahoe

live2ridetahoe screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 01:32 PM
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #69
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Tech...

I mentioned that I was bringing a iPhone. I am planning on picking up a SIM for it at the state department store in UB. I'll get a prepaid plan, and that should be good for the time I am there.

I'll be carrying my Garmin, a helmet cam from Contour, as well as a PLB from ACR. From the research I have done, it will work where I am going. I travel with it here in the states, and it fits in the front pocket of my Klim jacket. It is very light, and I don't even notice it is there.

I bought some international adapters to charge my devices. Even my headlamp is rechargeable. Everything can be charged from the bike as well. I picked up a cigarette type adapter to run to the battery. I also picked up a tank bag from Giant Loop to keep my camera and gear in while I am riding. It will be super accessible, as well as easily removable for when I go into a restaurant, store, monastery, etc...

Tahoe

Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #70
kumatae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
You're inspiration to everyone here Tahoe! I'm guessing your next post will be pictures of your riding gear?!?! Can't wait for your adventure to begin!
kumatae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #71
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 167
Tech

As much as I love real time updates, don't worry about us living vicariously through your travels. Have a good time and if you feel like posting than do it... if not, I'm subscribed and will be here waiting when you return. Just enjoy this fantastic opportunity you have.
Cheers,
Jon

Oh yeah, this coming from me, who can't be bothered to stop and take pictures because I often feel it ruins the moment. I'm getting better but still prefer to just "do" and "be".
mountainJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #72
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainJ View Post
As much as I love real time updates, don't worry about us living vicariously through your travels. Have a good time and if you feel like posting than do it... if not, I'm subscribed and will be here waiting when you return. Just enjoy this fantastic opportunity you have.
Cheers,
Jon

Oh yeah, this coming from me, who can't be bothered to stop and take pictures because I often feel it ruins the moment. I'm getting better but still prefer to just "do" and "be".
Thanks MountainJ. This is my first real RR and I wanted to keep it current. I will most likely keep a journal and update you all when able.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers to be in the moment and remember it in the mind's eye. I find on trips that I am focused a lot on the destination, be it for the day or for the week. I find I want to make the miles and get to where I want to go. This trip will be about the journey. It will be about camping where you are at any point of the day and following the flow, wherever that may lead.

Thanks for coming along.

Tahoe

Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #73
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
You're inspiration to everyone here Tahoe! I'm guessing your next post will be pictures of your riding gear?!?! Can't wait for your adventure to begin!
Right you are Kumatae...

I am quickly realizing that real riding gear does not pack well. I have decided to wear as much as I can onto the airplane, which is pretty much what you see above. I'll be carrying my helmet onto the plane and wearing my riding boots.

As far as gear goes, I'm bringing my Klim Badlands jacket. I love this jacket. I feel that I messed around for years with subpar gear. When I purchased my Tiger 800xc a couple of years ago, I decided to get good gear and wear it all the time. I have been super happy with Klim's quality. There is no other gear I would travel in.

This being said, I'm going to be leaving the Badlands pants at home. Not only are they are too bulky to pack, but I feel like I'd look like a doof on the Shineray Mustang with full gear. I have chosen a pair of nylon trekking pants by The North Face to ride in. The pants zip off into shorts, so one less clothing item to bring. They have a DWR coating and feel pretty tough. I bought a pair before a cruise last month and left them on the cruise ship. Doh...

I'm bringing my Arai XD3, goggles, cold weather gloves, Oakley mountain bike gloves for warm weather and my Alpinestar Toucans. I really like these boots. They are quite a bit softer than true motocross boots, but really offer more support and protection than street boots. I have had pairs of Alpinestar SMS boots for years and these, I feel, offer much more protection. Being an ER nurse, I feel they will protect me much more than those street boots in the event of an "off".

I thought about leaving the boots at home and just bringing my trail runners, but I'd much rather ride in gear. The Toucans are comfortable in warm or cold. I haven't gotten them soaked in a river yet tho, so I'm not sure how long it will take for them to fully dry out. We will see...

Gotta remember, "Fast and light..."

Tahoe

live2ridetahoe screwed with this post 10-23-2014 at 01:46 PM
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #74
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Hey Jeff, good luck on this awesome adventure! This is Bill in NY- the guy with the BMW cafe racer living across the street from your sister. I'm subscribed now so I can see the awesome upcoming pics of your trip. For me an adventure is getting caught in a sun shower and get my boots wet!
Glad I joined just in time to watch the show.
Good luck!
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #75
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
Hey Jeff, good luck on this awesome adventure! This is Bill in NY- the guy with the BMW cafe racer living across the street from your sister. I'm subscribed now so I can see the awesome upcoming pics of your trip. For me an adventure is getting caught in a sun shower and get my boots wet!
Glad I joined just in time to watch the show.
Good luck!
Thanks for coming along Bill! Love those bikes!!

JG