User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Live Free and Ride!

A little take off on the New Hampshire state motto, Live Free or Die. Three of us Granite staters are taking off on a TAT ride in a couple weeks, and will be trying to keep up with a ride report as we go.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

K75Guy screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 06:57 PM
K75Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Subscribed!!

I'll be following you guys the whole way!

Hopefully I will get to meet up with you all in AR.

Good luck, have fun!!!!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
MaineDualSport
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Safe travels!

Good luck to you & the brothers Roy. Can't wait to start to ride along vicariously.
Bruce H.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

The bikes are on the way to Knoxville with Johns sister. We will be stashing them with my buddy down there for the week until we get there. Very excited, the journey has begun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

Live Free and Ride!

WhooHoo, the trip has begun! James and the 4th Roy brother, Mike, left and are headed south via the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Tail of the Dragon. I'm headed to NJ for some work obligations before I pull the plug for a few weeks. John has a few more days of work, then we are all convening in Knoxville on Friday night.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I'll be watching this one. We will be about 2 weeks behind ya.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

Alrighty, end of Day 1. Mixed results. John and I arrived late last night and met up with James and Mike, who had arrived earlier that day. We had a couple beers and turned in for the night. The next morning, John and I took a cab to my friend Shane's house where the bikes were stored. So clutch! We spent a few minutes arranging our gear and then headed back to the hotel to rendezvous with James and Mike. From there, it was up and over the famous Tail of the Dragon, route 129, famous for having 318 turns in 11 miles. Even with fresh knobbies, everyone made short work of it.
We took the obligatory photo at Deals Gap, then headed over to Tellico. We had a great lunch, then bid Mike farewell as he headed off on his own.
We jumped on the TAT and started riding dirt!!!
There are 4 water crossings in the first few miles, and the first three are pretty easy, clear water and sand and gravel bottoms. The fourth was slimy ridges of shale running perpendicular to the river, with knee deep holes. We elected to walk the bikes through, and felt like it was a wise choice.
Lots of dirt twisted through the Nantahala Forest, and we popped out on pavement. We ducked up the road for a quick gas stop. When James returned from paying, he discovered that someone had stolen his riding jacket during the the 5 minutes he was inside.
Bastards.
So now we are parked in a hotel and working out how to to get James a replacement jacket as soon as possible, so we can keep riding.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Yup, gotta watch that one water crossing. Its claimed a lot of guys. The rock is crazy right there. Side ways and parallel with the trail.

I can't believe someone stole his jacket! that sucks!

Do you guys have any clue yet on when you will be traveling through Arkansas?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

I had a slight mechanical issue today, a fault with the charger for my phone, which is also my navigation system. I little bit of time with some electrical tape, wire nuts, and zip ties and a new fuse and we were back in business.
Fortunately, James has the navigation thing down pat and he was the locomotive for the train today.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

We also saw other folks fording the river crossings, using slightly older technology. They were, however, WAY drunker than us.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

For those who are coming behind us, there is a bridge out at mile 216 in TN, on Cowley Hollow Rd. Detour required.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

If you have not been, the side trip to Jack Daniels is well worth the one mile detour. Take the time for the tour, it's very interesting. Trivia fact, Jack was only 5' 4". There is also an odd campground up the hill from the distillery, seems to be slowly going out of business, but it was quiet and clean when we passed through last year, and the showers were hot.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

Yesterday and today were spent in TN and getting into MS and AR. One thing that has surprised us so far has been how much of this portion of the trail has been pavement. Which has been very welcome, due to the huge amount of rain and flooding. We have realized that we are shifting from a TAT trip to a cross country trip which features a lot of the TAT.
Today we had our first crash, when John went down in a downpour in the infamous Mississippi mud. No harm, but he did beat up his luggage a bit, snapped a couple straps off it.

I also was able to sample a local delicacy, the ham and cheese sandwich, made with a single slice of an ingredient, which is both the ham and the cheese. On Wonder bread.

We rendevouzed with James jacket, so he is back to being fully protected and ready to roll!

Then, we grabbed a hotel and went grocery shopping.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
K75Guy OP
Adventurer

Our most spectacular day so far! Riding in the Ozarks is amazing, the scenery, the roads, the route.
Mandatory stops include the Oark General Store, which has wonderful people and fantastic burgers, and White Rock park, where we spent the night in a beautiful, historic CCC cabin. If you come through, say hi to Paula, and visit the water tower ;)

Our historic and rustic accommodation .

Scenic overlook, I have to imagine there is some great climbing to be done here, beautiful sandstone.