User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 432
Run what you brung hack build

Okay why the title? A bit of history should explain.

An Aussie known on this forum as "Dooney" planted a seed four of five years ago with a Yamaha XS 650 hack build that really caught my eye. Simple in the Aussie style, adventure rig with a Yamaha XS 650 tug.

Next along comes a rescue mutt "Buck" whom I have become very close to. He expects to go with me every where and is seriously disappointed when I head out on one of my solo bikes.

Houston we have a problem; but wait I still remember Dooney's rig and just so happens I have a BUNCH of XS 650 parts scattered around my shop and house and back yard and shed well you get the point.

Hell I have never ridden or is it drove a rig and have no idea if it would be right for me. Really don't want to spend a lot of money on something that might get pushed back in the pile.

Did I mention I have a lot of XS parts including a titled frame and an engine I am in the process of building. I bet I could build a complete bike and side car using mostly what I already have lying around.

Just so happens I recently took a welding course at the local technical college and am looking for excuses to spend a lot of quality time with my m.i.g. and t.i.g machines.

So that's the short errr maybe long version of why I titled this the "Run what you brung build as I hope to use mostly what I have brung home over the last 10 years or so and maybe get a little welding practice while I'm at it.

I'm hoping the mods will let me keep this in the Hack section at least for now as opposed to the build section.

So there you have it!!!!
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

Before I get started I would like to extend my gratitude to a number of folks without whom this build would not have been possible.

I already mentioned Dooney in my previous post who is also a member of the yam xs 650 email group. I love the Aussie builds and have drooled over many of their threads.

My build has several goals haul my mutt, camping gear and get me to some out of the way places in classic advrider style. Human passengers need not apply.

So to all of you who took the time and effort to post your builds and adventures I will forever be grateful. I hope this build thread will pay back in a small way for all the inspiration I have received while reading these threads.

Fred up in Saskatchwan Canada has been a mentor and frequently responded to long emails with his words of wisdom whether it was what I wanted to hear or not. He is also a member of the yam XS 650 email list and he along with many other list members were always there for needed advice and even parts some times free of charge.

And last but definitely NOT least was and is Claude Stanley from Freedom sidecars. Claude patiently put up with my emails and phone calls and always seemed to steer me in the right direction. He supplied the mount fittings for a small sum and TONS of guidance free of charge. I really wish I could have handed over this project to him but I was determined to do it on my own. My motto after numerous conversations with him was build it strong, over built is fine under built is dangerous.

If I have one desire when this build is complete is that Claude will give it his blessing so to him I am dedicating it.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

I have a dream.

Okay so I have to start some where and this is how I began. I actually planned initially to build a frame and just a platform instead of a body. I would then add storage boxes to surround an area in the middle which my hound would occupy. You shall see how that changed big time.

Any how I had this swing arm and mono shock that was originally planned to convert an XS frame to a mono shock. Swing arm and shock is from a Suzuki DR 650. We machined the pivot area to fit the XS frame. Could not get it to work as the swing arm is not asymmetrical and could never get the sprockets to line up. Since its just sitting there taking up space might as well press into service.

I built the wood frame to help me come up with the actual frame measurements and it worked fairly well. Btw the XS frame its sorta attached to is not the one I will ultimately use. Matter of fact it is the frame that was going to get the Suzuki swing arm. Still a project in the making though probably dual shocks. On hold any how.

Gotta start some where.

redfishguide screwed with this post 05-23-2014 at 04:43 PM
Old 05-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,968
in
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

Guess I have to spend some money for tubing. Purchased a length of 1.5" .120 wall dom and a second length of 1.25" .120 wall dom. The distributer had them in 20 foot plus lengths and I think I paid about 75 bucks for the 1.5. Told him I needed a small section of the 1.25. He found one with a slight bend, cut in half and gave it to me for free!
Even let me do some dumpster diving while I was there and managed to score a couple of more key pieces again for free. I always maintain that free is good.

First order of business is a sub frame. I stole a bunch of ideas from the web and used what I thought was the best from each.

It picks up both sides of the front engine mount and the exhaust mount on one side. The frame has two ears on each side for a center stand mount and I welded the ears together with a piece of tubing to gain a little strength. Also went over some of the factory welds on the frame to make things a little stronger.

I bent the tubing using a torch and a metal roller I had laying around. I didn't realize it at the time but the bend didn't quite follow the frame and later when I decided to increase over all length it wound up lower then I would like. It cost me a little bit of ground clearance. Frankly the only thing I would change if I had to do it over again.

I also added a support where I added to the length. The extension piece was slugged butt and plug welded. Its strong and most of it is double walled.

The eye bolts (think that's what they are called) for the bottom mounts came from Claude and were welded through from both sides for extra strength.

Moving right along
Old 05-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

This pic will give you an idea why I added to the overall length of the sub frame. The frame is all the 1.5" .120 wall dom and I had a local speed shop do the two bends for which they charged ten bucks. Definitely worth it though I want a decent tubing bender real bad!

Kinda get an idea where I'm going from the above. General frame design came from Claude. The dimensions evolved from my wooden proto type and changed a bit as I went along. I want to keep the kick starter functional so I need to allow for it as well.

I'm trying to establish wheel lead and track width. Shooting for at least 48" of track width and about 10" of lead. The m/c swing arm will help with toe in and a little with lead.

You might notice Claude's name will get mentioned quite a bit. After seeing my work he'll probably disavow any knowledge of me. Oh well.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 921
Subscribed Love these build threads, always information to be gained.
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
DJ1
Chopper Jockey

Oddometer: 166
Looks great!

You have a great consultant, Claude gave me some great info when I put my first rig together and great info and advise on the my project hack.

Looking forward to this coming together!

CTFR ride reports
-- 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885931
--2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980991
DJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,086
Great start! I love budget builds!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,904
Fish, Doon's a mate of mine in the Monarchs MCC and I've ridden his old XS outfit. Wow! power a plenty.

Looking forward to your build.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

Yeah Doony's rig definitely put the hooks in me. Love the simple, design no frills approach and human monkeys need not apply.

I think you Aussies may have cornered the market on adv builds. Wish I had a piece of ground like your Outback in my neck of the woods.

However I do have some National Forests that need exploring and that's what my dog and I plan on doing. Maybe a little fishing to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
Fish, Doon's a mate of mine in the Monarchs MCC and I've ridden his old XS outfit. Wow! power a plenty.

Looking forward to your build.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

Okay I think its time to whip up some pinch blocks. Ouch did I just say that? What a pain in the butt. But I did manage and they seem to work.

Okay now lets add some gussets.

Speaking of gussets, a friend of mine donated a sheet of 3/16 steel. But damn it was pretty nasty. Spent a lot of time with wire wheels and sanders cleaning this stuff up. But then maybe I forgot to mention free is good!

Sorry I think this if the wrong picture but you get the point or not.

Doubled the stuff for the upper strut mounts.

Damn this side car building stuff is a lot of work! Hell I haven't even built the bike yet.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

Okay I think this all should look something like this.

Oh btw this photo shows the sub frame before it was extended and the brace added.

I know; no damn gussets on the pinch blocks but I promise I'll find the right picture eventually and if not welllll so be it.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
redfishguide OP
Old Dirt Biker

Okay this is starting to make a little sense now or maybe I'm just getting tired.

Okay about now your probably wondering about my placement of the upper strut mounts on the side car frame. Particularly the front. See I spend way to much time looking at hacks on the old inter web and I expect this rig to get a little dirty. I noticed how the mx rigs ran the upper struts across the hack frame. Obviously stronger and since I have or should I say had no plans on an actual body why not. So there you have it like or not!

That's all folks; I'm tired good night.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,904
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote