Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Grand Canyon north loop

This was a 10 day 2200 mile loop from Albuquerque thru CO, UT, NV, and along the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

The trip was kind of a reverse of one we did last year. We put in a lot of new stuff to make it more interesting.

The RR for last year's trip is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892221

Pictures for this year's trip are here:

http://wbbnm.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Grand-Canyon-2014/41060276_pVJ2Cr#!i=3271444555&k=FqKHSPv

I had to heavily filter the tracks to get them to fit the file size limit here.

I will be posting better resolution tracks on GPSXchange.com. And I have the super high resolution raw tracks.

The color code is red for odd number days, blue for even number days, and cyan for stuff we planned to do on the primary option but didn't get to for various reasons as noted in the waypoint comments.

Where applicable the code for road quality is circle for easy, square for moderate, and triangle for most difficult. Color code is green for marginally boring, blue for most fun, and red for uncomfortably difficult.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GrandCanyon2014 Tracks Edited Reduced.gpx (1.53 MB, 141 views)

wbbnm screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 08:57 AM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,221
Saw tracks on GPSX and already started adding them to my AZ SMTS. Thanks for legend, I thought Cyan was only plan since it did not have date stamps. I will have to study RR and add interesting waypoints. Great Pics.

You did not ride to many of the Gas waypoints? Were they the plan not the actual? Perhaps you should edit file to move them to actual location. I also add phone number to waypoint for very remote stand alone gas to make sure they are still open and got delivery this month.

Same for Motels, I put name and phone number in waypoint.

Probably in RR but what was side trip S/E of Gallup

Countdown screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 09:20 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Saw tracks on GPSX and already started adding them to my AZ SMTS. Thanks for legend, I thought Cyan was only plan since it did not have date stamps. I will have to study RR and add interesting waypoints. Great Pics.

You did not ride to many of the Gas waypoints? Were they the plan not the actual? Perhaps you should edit file to move them to actual location. I also add phone number to waypoint for very remote stand alone gas to make sure they are still open and got delivery this month.

Same for Motels, I put name and phone number in waypoint.

Probably in RR but what was side trip S/E of Gallup
Yes Cyan was the original primary plan. I tried to make that clear in the post.

I put in a cryptic reason as a waypoint for each planned leg we didn't do. The most common reason was that it was getting late and we were tired. I always tend to put in more dirt
roads than we will probably do in a day and have plans for bailouts.

The gas stations not on the track are carryovers from other trips and observations while riding. I always leave them in since it seems like valuable information. I wish everybody else would too.

We had to turn back in the Zuni Mountains between Gallup and Grants NM because of rain and probable mud. We did get to do one really nice primitive section before the turnback.

Up to the turnback we were getting occasional light showers interspersed with patches of sun.

But it started raining pretty hard and steady with no end in sight when we turned back. One of the guys was on a KTM 990. And I know there were patches of clay ahead.

We actually ride in that area somewhat regularly, so we didn't miss anything by turning back.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,602
Nice pics. From the map it kinda looks like you guys went to Area 51

How'd you like Casto Canyon?

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
The gas stations not on the track are carryovers from other trips and observations while riding. I always leave them in since it seems like valuable information. I wish everybody else would too.

We had to turn back in the Zuni Mountains between Gallup and Grants NM because of rain and probable mud. We did get to do one really nice primitive section before the turnback.
NO I am talking about where Tracks look like you went to a business but then your tracks did not actually to a gas waypoint in your file. Not talking about gas waypoints way off the tracks. Like is there really gas at Dilkon?

I found route from Zuni mts down to Grants from your 2011 ride.

Do you know the road along cliff behind Thoreau? Mini White Rim Trail.

Countdown screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 05:15 PM
Old 05-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
is there really gas at Dilkon?
In Google street view there is indeed a gas station there. I can't confirm that is still in business today, but it looks real in Google. There's also a True Value hardware store and Church's Chicken in the same building as the gas station. I guess that means you can get Chicken, Nuts, & Gas all in one order!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
In Google street view there is indeed a gas station there. I can't confirm that is still in business today, but it looks real in Google. There's also a True Value hardware store and Church's Chicken in the same building as the gas station. I guess that means you can get Chicken, Nuts, & Gas all in one order!
My question is: is there gas at all his waypoints and where are they really?

His tracks don't lead to the Gas waypoints. So I don't know if there is not gas, it is in a different place or it is where he showed but he just rode by it. There are several of these in his file.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 169
Thumb Lot o' grey hair in those (great) pic's...

Great pic's! Thanks for sharing the link.

Couldn't help but notice that there were a lot of grey hairs in your pic's, and I LOVE it!!! I'm not too far behind, coming up on 48 in a couple months, but I LOVE to see you guys out there kickin' it up. It really makes a lot of the guys I know, my age and younger, seem like even bigger pussies than I already thought they were --- hahaha... That's known as a "backhanded compliment", intended for you and your riding buddies.

Good stuff, and even more inspiration for me to get out West --- both for a short term multi-week ride and also permanently, in another 10-15 years (And, yes, I'd like to do it tomorrow, but what I'd like and reality don't always line up as we'd like them too...).
Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gas Stations: I have either been by or gotten gas from all of the stations marked as waypoints within the past two years. Some of them are small and could be unreliable.

We did get gas at Dilkon last Thursday. It is actually a pretty big town. It seemed to be some kind of regional Navajo headquarters. They had a brand new strip mall. The gas station looked pretty reliable.

I am 68. I think everyone on the trip was over 60.

We really liked Casto Canyon. I don't think we got there until 5 pm. We got rained out of doing it last year. But we had to slab it from Panguitch to Cedar City. We missed the great ride just west of Panguitch that we did last year.

I haven't done the mini-White Rim trail ride west of Crownpoint. I had something like that as an option for this trip. But we decided to do the route thru the Zunis instead. Wouldn't have mattered, I think we would have gotten rained out of that one too.

I always feel like we are kind of pressing our luck riding on reservation land. Nobody seems to mind. I have heard one needs a permit. But I am waiting for the cops to stop me first.

We had to get rescued by the Navajo police when we were stuck in the mud outside Chinle a couple of years ago. They never mentioned a permit.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Gas Stations: I have either been by or gotten gas from all of the stations marked as waypoints within the past two years. Some of them are small and could be unreliable..
You didn't answer question of where they are? I assume I should move the waypoints to where it looks like you turned in and then back out? At Dilkon your waypoint is 0.3 Mi south of where you stopped for 25 minutes.

That is why I try to get phone number of small ones that look unreliable.

I have been to plenty of stations that just didn't get delivery and ran out.

Rode the Tonto Enduro north of Phoenix, thought we would buy all gas to Sunflower. They didn't get delivery. We had to siphon our gas for 6 riders from motorhome.

I will be 70, my local riding buddy is 80,, and my partner in Mex2Can is 84, RIDE ON.

Countdown screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 04:06 PM
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Guilty as charged. My waypoints for gas stations are only rough approximations of where the stations might actually be.

I don't do what you did of go in and examine the tracks to see exactly where we turned in and stopped.

I just put in the waypoint close to the town. This is what I have always done and it has not caused me any problems. I could say I am sorry for the lack of rigor, but I'm not, so I won't.

I have had some waypoints that have been more than a mile off running around my tracks for years. Gallina, Torreon, Heber AZ come to mind.

In the future I might put a disclaimer about such waypoints only being approximate.

On this trip we had planned to stay at the Recapture Lodge in Bluff. We got the waypoint from Garmin. We got into town and couldn't find the motel. The waypoint was to the north but we couldn't see the place.

Turns out we had parked almost immediately under the sign. The motel was on the south side of the road.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Guilty as charged. My waypoints for gas stations are only rough approximations of where the stations might actually be.

I just put in the waypoint close to the town. This is what I have always done and it has not caused me any problems. I could say I am sorry for the lack of rigor, but I'm not, so I won't.
I may ask for my money back, oh wait it is all free information and thanks for it. Not complaining, just asking.

Since I repost your information on GPSX I want to make sure there is really gas where there is a gas Icon. Actually I have a few which say NO GAS so people will know it has closed. When your tracks just blast past a gas Icon, I have to wonder what the story is.

In my files each track goes gas to gas so there is no doubt where it is and that it is really gas.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

I fully appreciate the need for accurate gas info when riding out here.

I usually put the waypoint in before the trip and before I know exactly where the gas is. When editing after the trip I usually don't mess with them. But I do try to remove them if we didn't go to a place or there was no gas.

The ones I remember from driving by all were open when we went by.