Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #61
bajaxp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You two ok? haven't heard from you since June 30th.
bajaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #62
ubermick
the n00biest

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaxp View Post
You two ok? haven't heard from you since June 30th.
Well, in the first post, he obviously made it down there, since that's definitely pictures of Cabo in there. But I only see one bike in the pic?

(Pseudo bump for the rest of the pics, 'cause I'm loving this thread)
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #63
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 282
Holy crap, sorry it's taking me so long. Been a little distracted, plus just got back from a ride to colorado. Now where was I...
Max Wedge: Kind of a combination, I did a fair amount of RR reading before heading down and took note of places I really I wanted to stay. But for the most part it was just taking the other riders or just meandering till something struck our fancy.
Bajaxp: We're all good, home safe and sound. Just been too busy to keep up w the RR. I'm back on it :)
Kowalski:What!? Hey, slapping boots on a runway model doesn't mean shes ready for trench warfare, same applies to your pretty little street bike modeling it's unscuffed dirt tires. And as for the cigar, for the record, I didn't puke my guts out. I was just doing my best chameleon impersonation by changing into color green and going crosseyed.

BRUTSQD screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 11:02 PM
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #64
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D10

AM in Mulege.

Ever since the shitty road to Cocos I've been noticing a rattle/banging somewhere on the bike that I can actually feel in the pegs of the bike. I only hear it on bumpy terrain and being on the throttle makes no difference. After finding nothing from a quick inspection I figure I might as well start taking the bike apart as clearly the problem was a cracked frame or some other horrible injury. Before I get a chance to pull the first piece of plastic off, Kowalski comes out and rather casually observes that there's a bolt missing under the bike that might be the problem and then goes back to his tea.

I had to conceal my joy and sense of relief as my pride took a shot in the ribs over something I should have caught after scouring the bike up and down. I convince myself it's not because Mike's an engineer of some kind, it's just because he's built closer to the ground and has a better view... Ahem. Now knowing the problem, the three of us set off across town to the hardware store and to grab breakfast.

Said bye to baby kitties

Found him a new pal

And left the two to play together

New guys coming into the Hacienda as we walked out.

Walked to the other side of town and found a fantastic breakfast spot.

If it has homemade chili, you order the chili.

Easily their best photos of the trip. Breathtaking.

Hardware obtained

On the way back we notice what looks like a castle on the hill so we hike up to investigate.

Turns out it's the old state prison. We walked up and P started a conversation with the lady that takes care of the place, 15 pesos later we're getting tour of the prison.

The tour was very professional and remarkably informative from what Mike and I could discern as neither of us speak Spanish. This unfortunately also made the tour also very boring which led us to sneak off to take this picture while the tour went on.

Temperature is getting hot already, time to head back to the Hacienda, fix the bike and head to the coast.

Helpful kitties

We pack up, say good bye to the family that runs the hotel, say bye to the kitty, and hit the road. Today is a shorty ride to the coast in search of a place to beach camp. Mike pointed out a couple spot on the map that might be a good place to look and P and I had some placed highlighted as well.

2 miles out of Mulege has us on the transpeninsular highway skirting the Bahia de Concepcion passing a number of beach campsites. We pulled off at each one and found flaws at each. Some were too windy and others had way too much trash. So we keep looking.

Take a beer break before continuing.

Finally we come around the corner and find what we're looking for. Plus there's a restaurant on the beach complete w bar :)

We set up camp and head to restaurant

We arrived before dinner, started drinking, stayed for dinner and kept drinking. A couple of guys pulled up on KLRs and joined us for a few beers. I'm probably going to screw up where they're from, but I know Andy is from Canada and Dane I believe is a Kiwi that now lives in Australia. The two of them are riding from Canada to Costa Rica where they were meeting their girlfriends before flying home and shipping their bikes. Great guys.

As the beers stacked up the evening fades away and I find myself heading to bed early to sleep it off. Stellar day.

Last minute wind precautions

Goodnight Bahia de Sandflies

UP NEXT: A couple o days in Loreto, disco Jesus and a mission in the boonies

BRUTSQD screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 11:46 AM
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #65
ubermick
the n00biest

Oddometer: 127
Bucho!

I really hope the prices in the hardware store of the "hardware obtained" pic are in pesos, tho. $31 for a 3" lag bolt?!?!?
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #66
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 374

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #67
advmoto66
Vagabond

Oddometer: 105
Keep it coming.....

Enjoying your RR so much that I'm starting to get some great intel for a possible trip South myself.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to recount your personal journey.
advmoto66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:42 AM   #68
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D11

AM: Bay of Concepcion

The three of us woke up cranky this morning but cranky for different reasons. I didn't sleep all that great despite the alcohol running start mostly because of various pee breaks throughout the night and numerous bouts of leg cramps from hydrating only with beer all day yesterday. Phoenix was cranky because she was kept up all night by the dildos parked next to us with the RV who ran their generators all night long. Kowalski was cranky because he's Kowalski and thats just how Kowalski is. It's just part of his charm.

This morning I was feeling like breaking away and taking advantage of the lack of traffic cops so I departed early and agreed to meet up with P and Mike in Loreto. I stopped off and said my goodbyes to Andy and Dane and rode like an asshole all the way to Loreto.

Pull into a coffee shop for some wifi and a caffeine fix.

P and Mike show up not too long after

I'm physically out of gas and in need of tacos and a nap. P and Mike depart to find accommodations while I sit down and guard the bikes with my formidable stank. Adv bikes pass by in all directions, they're all over the town, it's cool to see the concentration down here. A couple of older guys pull up and park their 1150gs and ktm and strike up conversation. These old guys were covering some pretty aggressive miles and were just now pulling into town to try to find spot the crash for the night same as us.

Gringomobile

P and Mike come back having found a hostel that I later recognize as the Hostel Casas Loreto I had seen in a couple RRs that I had thumbed through. We mention to the older guys what we found and they say they'll likely see us there. Great find, inexpensive and more of a cool little motel then a hostel. You get your own room, your own bathroom, your own indoor covered parking space, wifi, AC and no bed bugs. As soon as I get my key I run into my bathroom, turn on the ceiling mounted shower to cold and stand under it fully clothed to give my skanky gear a much needed wash. Perfection.

Clean and cozy

Our two new friends show up right as we step out to grab more tacos and cocktails.

There's a large outdoor shopping area in the middle of town that for foot traffic only. Lots of good little restaurants and tons of nick-knacks

Par for fish tacos in Baja would be some seriously expensive, and likely seriously inferior, tacos back in the states. I'm sure I'm missing other amazing cuisine here in Baja by being stuck on the same things but for the time being I can't get away from the fish.

Beautiful, artsy, quiet little town.

Walking back through town in the evening I poke my head in the church to see where the flashing in coming from.

Not sure why but apparently Jesus was having an led light disco dance party with music playing in the background. With a couple cocktails in my system, I was thoroughly amused by this.

Looking for a nightcap, we bump into these two strangers who just got to town.

Loreto is a must do, plenty to do, eat and see yet it's uber relaxing. Plus it's quite modern despite only having one ATM. Definitely a town worth setting aside a couple days for.

UP NEXT: Day trip to the oldest mission in Baja

Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #69
bajaxp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Awesome trip and awesome recap!
bajaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #70
raj914
FYYFF

Oddometer: 912
Thumb

Great RR and pics!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #71
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D12

AM in Loreto

First thing this morning, Abel greets us with a smiling face and big pot of coffee. Love that guy, he runs a tight ship and couldn't be any more proud of his hostal. He should be, the place is exceptional. The three of us get our gear on for a ride but have already decided to stay another night for the sake of doing Loreto justice and finally picking one spot to be for a couple of days for relaxation's sake. It's easy to get wound up with trying to push for miles and forget to slow down and plug into each town. On trip advisor I read up about the old mission up in the mountains above Loreto, we're all in and that's the plan. From all outward appearances, it looks like a hell of a ride and some decent scenery.

At the same time were pushing off for the mission, the old dogs were mounting up and heading out of town. We said our goodbyes, they headed North, we headed South. Great bikes, cool guys and accomplished riders.

Immediately off of hwy 1 on to the road to San Javier, you pass an interesting looking roadhouse, the road turns to dirt and starts getting windy as you climb. Turns out to only be a half our ride or so, but beautiful and just like every other road in Baja it's full of surprises like pot holes, honkey shit and heavy equipment.

Throwing up the horns

I'm not sure how I either didn't take pictures of this or simply deleted the pictures I have, but on the road to San Javier, periodically you would have water crossings. Not deep, not muddy and no more then an inch to 5 inches deep of water. However, the algae growing on the pavement at the water crossings was slicker then snot. You could literally fall just trying to walk across it let alone drive a 600lb metal pig over it. We had been hauling ass, flying around corners and flying over the water crossings until I damn near ate shit while crossing with the bike nearly straight up. As soon as I had my near miss I slammed the brakes hard, jumped off the bike and warned the others. For the next 3 increasingly wider algae water crossings we all walked our bikes across each section as even a slow crash on snotty cement wouldn't feel great.

Alas, we arrive at San Javier.

We're all hungry, hot as balls and ready for a break from the heat so we hit one of the two restaurants in the square.

So nice.

This guy had just arrived from his garden with a supply of massive peas. He kept walking by and putting peas on the table for us to try and told us where he lived if we wanted to see his plants. This man was mighty proud of his peas.

Hungry perro negro

The mission

The old man's garden

Tres Bozos

We head back, take a nap, wander around town and start looking for food. Found a fantastic little pizza place. We strike up a conversation with a table of gringos next to us, turns out the couple built and started and sold the road house off of San Javier road and suggested we check it out. They also mentioned that they now live up in Scorpion bay and should stop by if we pass through later in the trip.

This dog cracked me up.

Full of pizza and with a decent buzz, we wander around town and hit the water front.

Posing w garbage cans. Not really sure what the hell we were doing but we had a good time.

Too stuffed to breathe properly we call it an early night and hit the sack. Tomorrow morning I'm taking off solo to check out a dirt road I saw by the mission that connects through to the highway on the pacific side then ride down to La Paz and check out some stomping grounds I haven't seen in 15 years. Might also grab a beer at the roadhouse while I'm at it.

UP NEXT: Solo, sand and sweat. Loreto to La Paz.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #72
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Thumb Great RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTSQD View Post

UP NEXT: Solo, sand and sweat. Loreto to La Paz.

Looking forward to the next installment

the twisted-hog
Baja Cerveza Conquest
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #73
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Great report.

You're showing us how we will probably take our first visit south of the border.

You know, testing the waters.....

Thanks for taking the time and energy required to allow us to travel along with you.

I hope your new position is delivering. Tough stuff you deal with day in and day out at work.

Oh, and by the way, great pics. Really great pics.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #74
Rocketgrrrl
Shut up and Ride!

Oddometer: 13
Lmao

OMG Trevor, your posts are freaking hilarious. I love reliving this, I can't believe the amount of detail you recall, for me it's all a blur now. Ok I'm hitting the road again tomorrow for 2 weeks. Maybe I'll take a few good pics while I'm out there, you've inspired me...you're a fantastic riding buddy!!!
And I followed that voice down the lost highway" Steve Earle - Guitar Town
Rocketgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 AM   #75
Anand7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
That's the problem...

...with Mexico—the food.

Everywhere else I've travelled, I lose weight. Mexico, I really seem to pack on the pounds!

Great RR! It's a trip I will do next year.
Anand7 is offline   Reply With Quote