Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #91
75bronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Is the hostel in la paz really called bajabackpackers? headed down that way soon and the place look tidy and clean.

Wonderful ride report by the way. Really enjoy it.
75bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #92
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 282
75bronco: Yep it's called exactly that. Great place plus they let you pull the bike to the back to lock it behind the gate.
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #93
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D16

Day 16: La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

Had a leisurely start this morning and managed to let the heat creep up on us before we got a chance to hit the road. We say our goodbyes and head off due South to hwy 1 to cut over to the East side of San Jose del Cabo. Today will be a short ride which is nice considering it's getting oppressively hot.

Thanks again to Rick and Eva

Ran into a group of guys on the way out of town at the gas station. I have no idea what he had to say but I liked his GSW

Before we parted ways with Rick and Eva, Rick told us to check out the cafe in El Triunfo. He said they had good food and apparently the owner is a motorcycle guy and a bit of a character.

Unexpectedly cool spot and good sammitches

A relatively short but hot ride lands us in San Jose del Cabo.

Just in time for dinner at the brewery!

I didn't expect SJDC to have such a cool downtown area. In the past, this is just were I flew into on the way to Cabo and had never spent any time here. Great spot! The entire downtown area has tons of places to eat plus there's definitely a decent sized population of artists in the area as every other store is a gallery. P is super stoked on the town and had mentioned she wasn't too interested in going to Cabo so it looks like shes going to stay here while I check out Cabo.

Rooftop cocktails to finish the day before hitting the sack.

Tomorrow morning: Cabo!!

Old 07-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #94
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D17

Day 17: San Jose del Grunties to Cabo San Haggar

P wasn't too excited about heading to a heavily Americanized party town so she opted to stay another day in SJDC and soak up the town. I on the other hand was morbidly curious to lay eyes on a town that I spent a lot of time at in my early 20's. Definitely a little nervous as I hold my memories of dirt streets and riding quads through town in high regard. I'd hate to have the view of KFC and strip malls ruin my childhood memories so I did my best to walk into it expecting the worst of a translocated Los Angeles.

First stop was the see if my favorite breakfast place still stood, Mama's Royal Cafe

The streets were in disarray as they're repaving the paved roads that used to not be paved. The place looks different but the stuffed French toast is still epically scrumptious.

Plus the family from Canada and myself had our own private guitarist.

17 days ridden, 1564 miles from Sacramento dominated, numerous tacos devoured and countless beers imbibed, I arrive at the final destination. Cabo San Lucas!

Undeniably, Cabo has grown in size and unfortunately taken on some of the U.S.'s less admirable traits at the sacrifice of Mexico's culture. BUT, Cabo is still surprisingly charming. If I want to soak up culture, cuisine and cervezas I'l go to San Ignacio.. If I'm looking to live it up, relax and enjoy the decadence of roof top pools while still kind of feeling like I'm in another country, then Cabo is still not a bad place to go despite the best efforts of developers. Relieved and excited, it's time to check into the hotel and celebrate.

I get an email from Adam that he just checked into a hostel in town and will be ready to tie one on later. Excellent

And the drinking commences

Squid Row is dead by Squid Row standards. It's midweek and a little off season so not too busy but still a good time. Many beers and shots of horrible horrible tequila were to be had. God I missed this place

The next morning I went through my phone to see if I had any good pictures from the night before and came across a couple videos worth sharing. This is a two part series..

I don't remember much about this other then thinking the bathroom attendant guy was a little hostile..

Then I found this one which explained the first. Apparently this is the bathroom guy going after someone for using the sit down stall to pee standing up. You can hear him say "it's for kaakaa." Granted it's inconsiderate when there's urinals available, the guy just seemed a little unbalanced.

Drunken face stuffing

I bid Adam farewell and stumble back to the hotel. Tomorrow I head back to SJDC to grab P and head to Todos Santos. This will be the first time in 18 days that I head North.

UP NEXT: Heat, hangovers and Hotel California

Old 07-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #95
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Bring it on! It's been too long since I've been in Baja. Looks like I won't
make it 'til Nov for the Baja Mille. But your travels do bring a remembering
grin. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #96
Roaddawg
In Training

Oddometer: 26
Nice!

Nicely done Brut. I'm planning another trip to Baja but this time on a dual sport. Last year my buddy and I slabbed it so now we're ready to expand our playing field. Did you start your trip in the middle of March? I read your firsts posts to figure it out but I saw no specific start date. I'm surprised you mentioned it was hella hot. And you're from Sacto so you would know!
Roaddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #97
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

prsdrat: And you live in the 619?? You have no excuses sir, but glad to hear you're heading South in Nov, that's got to be an ideal time to ride down there.

Roaddawg: I departed Sac on Easter Sunday so you're nearly correct on the timing. As for the heat, I would say the humidity had a lot to do with it as 95f in Baja is definitely 95f of dry heat in Sac. Plus I was wearing black Badlands jacket and pants which bakes in the direct sun. Glad to hear you're going dually next trip, there's truly an entire other Baja down there once you get away from the cement.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #98
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Question No East Cape Road ?

You missed out on a great scenic road from La Paz to San Jose.

Something to save for the next time.

I only took it to Los Barriles and it was awesome !

Keep up the great report. It's helping me with my Baja withdrawal till I get back.

the twisted-hog
Baja Cerveza Conquest

twisted-hog screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 11:56 AM
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #99
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D18

Day 18: Hungover in Cabo

Today is going to suck. I knew it was going to suck and somehow it sucks worse then expected. Time to suck it up and put a helmet on. I don't want to keep P waiting, it's not her fault I made bad decisions. I head down to SJDC to the Hotel Posada Senor Manana, take a shower and blow up the lavatory. P shakes her head in a way that seems to say, "I feel for you, but you're still an idiot." I can't disagree. We hit the road North towards Todos Santos. I take almost no pictures as it's all the energy I can muster to not vomit in my helmet. Heat and hangovers makes everything worse, every conversation difficult and every stoplight a personal eternity in hell.

We stop off at an odd little coffee commune place to grab some caffeine. They also grow peppers in the field across the drive way.

The coffee place was cool, open air patio, wifi and an odd mix of deep thinking mid-20's hippy art college students who were trying their hardest to not look like what I just described. Everyone just wants to be a local and be seen as one. We wander next door to a 'restaurant' to grab some food. Apparently the people that work there were as baffled with us as we were baffled with them for neither seating us or saying anything, just staring. Finally after an awkward silence, one of them announces "we're not open." Cool, thanks..

We hit the road again a little further to Todos Santos and hit the first modest looking hotel we see.

Within the hotel my salvation awaits, blackout curtains and an AC unit that blows cold air directly at the head of the bed. I barely get my gear off before I pass out.

A couple hours later I wake up feeling like a different person and am ready to explore the town. P had already scoped the town and had a few places ear marked for food as I hadn't eaten anything yet today. We've been traveling for almost 3 weeks now so we've gotten pretty decent at knowing when the other is in the dangerzone with needing food or caffeine. On the way out of the hotel we pass by our bikes encircled by a gaggle of drooling highschool age boys. P strikes up a conversation, apparently the boys are staying at the hotel so they can play in the big baseball tournament in town. They invite us to watch them so we get directions and head out to find food.

HEY!! Looks what's across the street!!

Good call P! Fantastic food but service so rude it was comical. What the hell is with this town??

Phoenix wanders back to the hotel to relax and read, I continue to wander and look for a good place to watch the sunset.

Happy happy moments.

3 stories up.

I've got a million memories of Baja that stick out in my mind but this little moment was one of my favorites. Cool, still air. A smouldering sunset, mini tar tar fish tacos, pacificos and a waitress that is as equally piss poor at English as I am at Spanish. Ordering consists of Butchering the language, pantomimes, laughter and apologies. What an experience Baja has been.

After an appetizer and a beer I head back to the hotel to find rocketgrrrl awake and ready to go walkies. We head out to find the baseball game. Just follow the noise and lights across town.

This is quite the shindig..

We can't even make it through the front to get seats so we head around to the side of the field

Play ball!

After watching a ceremony we lose interest and start wandering around town looking for hidden gems.

And a gem we found....

Thoroughly confused by the display of skulls we found ourselves ensnared in a clever yet irresistible plot to get us to buy tacos.

3 seconds into P talking to the purveyor wearing the rattlesnake boots with the heads still attached, the gentleman mentions he has 70 pairs of boots and 100 pairs of pants and want's to know if we would like to see them.. Well fuck yes!

The world needs more people like this. Absolutely loved this guy, plus delicious 10 peso tacos. Win win and a win!

We hung out in the side yard of his house and watched tv for a bit before heading back to the hotel to pass out for the night.

Big fan of Todos Santos. Plus whatever wrongs we encountered by the service on the main drag, this man more then made up for it. Great little town.

UP NEXT: Todos Santos to Scorpion Bay while running dangerously low on beef jerky..

Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #100
bajaxp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wild...fantastic and wonderful! Keep the reports coming.

Question: What have you done for maintenance. Eg...oil changes and tires particularly.

bajaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #101
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Awesome. You are doing great, man!
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #102
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D19

AM: Todos Santos headed North in the direction of home.

Easily the healthiest thing I've eaten in probably a couple weeks. I'm overdue, I've been punishing my body with my "vacation diet" and after a while you just start to feel gross. A little fruit and fiber might be a good idea.

Stopped off at the mission near Hotel California.

I must admit it, I've got a little less pep in my step today compared to the rest of the trip. There's something sobering about heading North. It feels like the trip is over even though I'm only a little over half way. Plus, there's also something sobering about being a day out from a nasty hang over. I think I've got the partying out of my system for the remainder of the trip.

Fantastic roadside food stand in a gas station parking lot.
Eat up, refuel and head out of town.

No plans today, don't really know where were going, just North. The Pacific side is waay cooler then the Cortez side which is a huge relief.

We keep hugging the coast and looking for roads that parallel the water. We've been riding most the day and it's already getting into the afternoon. We check out the map during a rest stop and decide on San Juanico or Scorpion Bay. We heard from a couple riders there was one hell of a dirt/sand road out of scorpion bay that connects to San Ignacio lagoon and ultimately back to San Ignacio. Scorpion Bay is the perfect lay up to set you up for an early(cool) departure. Not much picture taking today, just slabbing and helmet time to reflect on the trip.

Just in time as we both were running low. Had to ask a couple locals were to buy gas as the first place we went to was out.

This place feels like riding into an old western movie as you pull into town. Dirt roads, kids playing in the streets and lots of old beat up pickup trucks. Sleepy but safe feeling little town.

Cool little pocket of locals and ex-pats. The houses range from shacks to creatively built frankenstien houses to mansions on the bluff.

Tired and hungry we don't look around much and crash at the cleanest looking place we could find. This place must have just been built as it was spotless.

They even have garage parking!

Mr. Dog.

Half a block walk to the local restaurant/house/hang out :)

A gringo runs the place out of a 5th wheel that's been unrecognizably covered in decorations and thatch roof. Par for Baja, quirky yet resourceful.

The food is fantastic as always. Baja always hits the spot.

With full bellies we waddle back to the hotel and pass out early.

UP NEXT: Dirt, Sand, Silt and a broken thumb.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #103
ubermick
the n00biest

Oddometer: 119
Boss updates as always. Love the bathroom attendant vids (wait, that sounds wrong...) And the ending where he spots you recording it, hahahaha
ubermick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #104
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Now that's a real mancation.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #105
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 370
This is one of my favorite reports.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote