Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post

I don't care if I get one more hp or ft/lbs....drop some weight...lose some heat...add a sound worth of 125 at the wheel...done...
This ^

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
painterdude
ride far

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
'm not saying you cant get more out of these bikes however simply bolting a bunch of stuff on doesn't always produce such results. Cycle world did a write up on the Kawi zx-10 a few years back. They threw thousands of dollars worth of aftermarket parts and countless hours dyno testing different pipes, intakes, maps etc. Most combos produced less than stock power. The final result was a 3hp gain at the cost of several thousand dollars.

If KTM were racing this bike at the factory level a lot more than an air filter and muffler would be different.

True re the KTM comment.
Must say re Kaweeeeeee....From my butt dyno and having to search for my eyeballs a number of times, it seems that with my quack...a ZX14..aftermarket add ons did make things noticeably more " interesting ".
painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Sparc145
'14 1190 ADV

Oddometer: 68
We still don't have an answer as to what Dyno this was run on. :( All the data provided is useless without this information with the exception of the AFR numbers (and it's great to finally see this!).
Sparc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
BHoward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
The dyno runs were done at R-Cal Racing ~ http://www.rcalracing.com/ ~ using a DynoJet Dynamometer.
Trying to compare dyno's is a exercise in futility. A dyno is just a tool, that is all.
The only true measure of horse power is mph at the end of a 1/4 mile, along with the weight. For example, my diesel pick up on a dyno in Las Vegas put down 820HP, different dyno in Ventura CA 775HP, different dyno in Huntington Beach CA. 940HP.
In the end none of those numbers matter, the 8000lb truck does 116mph in the 1/4 mile. This means the truck is making 847HP at the wheels.

The only reason I put the bike on the dyno was to verify the A/F ratio, and get a baseline before I fit the Power commander V along with the auto-tune.
I don't really care about the power, the bike has plenty.
And yes the dyno operator did numerous pulls, including wide open throttle in 4th and thru all gears, in drive mode and sport. 10-20% throttle thru all gears to simulate around town driving.

I still have the stock air filter and stock muffler, I will be happy to put them back on and dyno again if I get a $125 (cost of dyno) donation.
BHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
The dyno runs were done at R-Cal Racing ~ http://www.rcalracing.com/ ~ using a DynoJet Dynamometer.
Trying to compare dyno's is a exercise in futility. A dyno is just a tool, that is all.
The only true measure of horse power is mph at the end of a 1/4 mile, along with the weight. For example, my diesel pick up on a dyno in Las Vegas put down 820HP, different dyno in Ventura CA 775HP, different dyno in Huntington Beach CA. 940HP.
In the end none of those numbers matter, the 8000lb truck does 116mph in the 1/4 mile. This means the truck is making 847HP at the wheels.

The only reason I put the bike on the dyno was to verify the A/F ratio, and get a baseline before I fit the Power commander V along with the auto-tune.
And yes the dyno operator did numerous pulls, including wide open throttle in 4th and thru all gears, in drive mode and sport. 10-20% throttle thru all gears to simulate around town driving.

I still have the stock air filter and stock muffler, I will be happy to put them back on and dyno again if I get a $125 (cost of dyno) donation.

blah blah....lets see the pics of the truck......

My old truck spent some time on the dyno....but a 129mph trap speed verified the north of 1000hp...

'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #21
BHoward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

My old truck spent some time on the dyno....but a 129mph trap speed verified the north of 1000hp...

Holy shyte, very nice. My truck is just a old diesel farm truck.
My truck, along with a few friends, is in the month's Diesel Army magazine.
http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tec...amax-dyno-day/
I'm the good looking one.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
Holy shyte, very nice. My truck is just a old diesel farm truck.
My truck, along with a few friends, is in the month's Diesel Army magazine.
http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tec...amax-dyno-day/
I'm the good looking one.
got to love those smokers at WOT.....hahahaha....now back to our regular programming....let's talk about why your results were 123 vs 126hp...hahahahaa
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
Sparc145
'14 1190 ADV

Oddometer: 68
Quote:

Did you have the TC off for the pulls? I'm assuming it wouldn't work very well with TC on as the front wheel won't be spinning. Thanks for letting us know what Dyno. :)
Sparc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #24
BHoward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc145 View Post
Did you have the TC off for the pulls? I'm assuming it wouldn't work very well with TC on as the front wheel won't be spinning. Thanks for letting us know what Dyno. :)
Yep, TC was off for all pulls.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #25
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
The dyno results at sea level, 75*F, 29.78 in-Hg, humidity 49% are,

Uni-Filter, Wings muffler, off road cat free exhaust.

Peak HP 123.18
Peak TQ 75.13
A/F Ratio average of 14.5 between 1500rpm and 5500rpm
Then dropping down to 13.7 between 5500rpm and 10,000rpm.
There were times when the A/F went to 14.9 for a short time then came back down, never going over 15.

The test were done with NO db killer/baffle in the muffler. It needed to be open for the o2 sensor to fit down the exhaust pipe.

IMO the A/F is slightly high but with the small db killer/baffle installed in the muffler it should come down a bit.
A dyno is a tuning tool only. If your searching for a Hp improvement you need a baseline. But you already know this. Like what has been said before, all out Hp is not your main goal. Less heat, weight, and drivability are important factors also.

99.9% of people cannot distinguish a 5 hp advantage on your bike. A temperature change of little more 10 degrees or a 1000 foot elevation change, can have the same affect on Hp.

On my 08 Superduke I swaped out the stock exhaust and lost 25 lbs ! Plus with a little tuning my throttle response is awesome. How do you measure that on a dyno?

Most important , no one races dyno's.
jas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
BHoward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New dyno results here ~ http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post24313980
Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #27
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:

Oh...I just got a semi.....
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #28
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
A dyno is a tuning tool only. If your searching for a Hp improvement you need a baseline. But you already know this. Like what has been said before, all out Hp is not your main goal. Less heat, weight, and drivability are important factors also.

99.9% of people cannot distinguish a 5 hp advantage on your bike. A temperature change of little more 10 degrees or a 1000 foot elevation change, can have the same affect on Hp.

On my 08 Superduke I swaped out the stock exhaust and lost 25 lbs ! Plus with a little tuning my throttle response is awesome. How do you measure that on a dyno?

Most important , no one races dyno's.

Yep, I took my last R1 (non big bang) and knocked it down to 160kg wet, full exhaust, filter, heads done, cams, Factory Pro Velocity stacks, PC, full Ohlin's RT package..etc....even with all the engine mods what I noticed first was the HUGE difference in WEIGHT...bike felt like tt had 100hp more......

The Adventure for me is perfectly balance between hp and chassis but that could be my age talking.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #29
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Hhhmmm...I am kinda surpirsed as well.
what's the surprise- you add more air without more fuel and power goes down, not rocket science
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote