ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
kelsow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Help me choose a new gps

I have read as much info here as I possible can and still can't decide which gps is the right choice for me.
I currently have a Nuvi 550 that I have hated since day 2 or so.
What bothers me most is 2 things. It refuses to obey the avoidances and it changes the custom route when it turns off then on after a break.

I don't want to get a new unit if these things will continue.

I have narrowed it down to the Montana 600 but am leaning toward a reconditioned Zumo 350. The 590 is out of the question.

I do about 80% pavement, 20% dirt roads and virtually no trails.

What would you recommend?
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
supernewf71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I am looking at the62s next time I see one on sale
supernewf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
kelsow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nobody?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewf71 View Post
I am looking at the62s next time I see one on sale
A 62 is not even close to what he is looking for. He wants a super Routing unit for 80% street, that means a street unit not a hand held toy that doesn't even have a 12 V power input.

Read about 100 posts that advise against a 62 which is even discontinued for obvious reasons and for a 78.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post
Nobody?
OK, you twisted my arm...

IPhone : motionx

Android: osmand, locus, and sygic will route AND navigate completely off line, oruxmaps, and the others may hand off the navigation to Sygici or Google nav.

Those will provide you with plenty of routing, tracking, navigation, geo caching, maps, waypoints and poi all along the way.

Maps for those are free, or cheap depending on what you prefer.

Keep in mind vector maps are fastest to render and smallest in file size, with the best scaling.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
PowerSlide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Ohgood, you rock!

Just bought a nuvi 2595 and am realising what an awful mistake it was.

Thank you,

Gar
PowerSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post
I have read as much info here as I possible can and still can't decide which gps is the right choice for me.
I currently have a Nuvi 550 that I have hated since day 2 or so.
What bothers me most is 2 things. It refuses to obey the avoidances and it changes the custom route when it turns off then on after a break.

I don't want to get a new unit if these things will continue.

I have narrowed it down to the Montana 600 but am leaning toward a reconditioned Zumo 350. The 590 is out of the question.

I do about 80% pavement, 20% dirt roads and virtually no trails.

What would you recommend?
I would not recommend the Montana for your preferred riding.

Why are you looking at the zumo390 (350 was a Garmin mistake)? And, why is the zumo590LM out of the question: cost?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 12:06 PM
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
kelsow OP
Beastly Adventurer

I found a good deal on a factory referb 350.
The 390 and especially the 590 were out of my price range.
Why do you say the 350 was a mistake?
Very little difference between them, no?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The zumo350's software features look good on paper but the device had significant Routing issues in the initial software versions. In fairness though I have not kept up on the latest software or if Garmin fixed original issues. You would do well to talk with zumo350 owners here or on zumoforums.com before making your decision.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
TarTripper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Whatever you get don't get Garmin

In my experience (2 bike ones and 2 car ones) Garmin is utter crap. Their software is so flaky. Right at the moment my brand new BMW Nav V is sitting here locked up on the shut-down screen. I'm going to have to take the battery out to shut it down. Worse still their phone app is a joke. It looks like something knocked up by a high school class, and performs slightly worse. They should fire everyone in their shitty software department and start again.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

If you are having issues that Garmin can't/won't address, take your NAV5 back to your BMW Dealer and ask for a replacement or refund. Complaining here won't fix it that's for sure.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #12
TarTripper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I'm not complaining. I'm simply offering the observation that Garmin software has been, and still is, consistently poor. (Something, that you also seem to be aware of given that you mention it in your own post). Hence my advice to look elsewhere when selecting a GPS.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I despise my Zumo 665 LM.. and have found the customer service of Garmin to be a complete joke (at least for a new unit).. there is a new TomTom rider.. half the cost of a zumo..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
OK, you twisted my arm...

IPhone : motionx

Android: osmand, locus, and sygic will route AND navigate completely off line, oruxmaps, and the others may hand off the navigation to Sygici or Google nav.

Those will provide you with plenty of routing, tracking, navigation, geo caching, maps, waypoints and poi all along the way.

Maps for those are free, or cheap depending on what you prefer.

Keep in mind vector maps are fastest to render and smallest in file size, with the best scaling.
I've heard this before and the hisense pro is only 115 at walmart. But what about the rerouting etc? I have a BMW NAV 4 and on a recent trip i found the rerouting isnt good. If i get off the planned route i want to be able zoom out and find a new route. I zoom out on the nav and its difficult to see options. Id like to be able to see options like google maps. I understand google maps is online and not good remotely. I had motion x on Iphone and its online. Its routing was terrible. Kept me going in circles.

I want roads but back roads.

The nav 4 keeps me from getting lost but im not so good at getting good routes if i get off the planned route.

Do any of these android softwares have the curvy roads option? Is that worthwhile.

I also dont have a pc or mac to run basecamp on the road. (Hotel). Android makes sense for that.

What is this google you mention for android?

Well, it didnt take much effort to find google maps for android. And, they have an improved feature for offline maps. Sounds like a good option to me.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.

scfrank screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 10:57 AM
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
I've heard this before and the hisense pro is only 115 at walmart.
That was a while back, the last price I saw was $139 when I bought another one.

Quote:
But what about the rerouting etc?
Depends on which application you're using at the time. Google Maps (and it's Navigation counterpart) does not re-route in offline (what you'll find in a good bit of north america), and it's map caching is not good, routable nor does it allow for tracking.

Osmand, Locus, Sygic, and a few others do rerouting on the fly just fine. If you want to add a waypoint (pick it from the map) to route by, it's easy, and rerouting happens quicly. My main favorite is Locus Pro right now, with Osmand coming in second. Locus allows for plotting, EDITING, saving, exporting, importing, displaying, NAVIGATING along routes it creates, or created elsewhere. It has a LOT of options for doing so, all of which are offline, and easily understood. Osmand does also, but it's editing of routes is not as easily understood, or quick as locus. Sygic picks routes and hands them to you, but doesn't edit. You have two or three choices from sygic, and if you want more, sorry , that's all. It's also expensive at $59 or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrVIOWRzu_Q

Quote:
I have a BMW NAV 4 and on a recent trip i found the rerouting isnt good. If i get off the planned route i want to be able zoom out and find a new route. I zoom out on the nav and its difficult to see options. Id like to be able to see options like google maps.
Hmm, not sure what optoins you're referring to in google maps, sorry. zooming in/out on Locus or Osmand is very good, and you can include contour lines and hillshading for a better understanding of areas ;-)

Quote:
I understand google maps is online and not good remotely. I had motion x on Iphone and its online. Its routing was terrible. Kept me going in circles.
I have no personcal experience with moion-x, but the people i know that use it, love it. THere might be a learning curve ? Or it's the only one that's worthwhile on ios ? I dunno.

Quote:
I want roads but back roads.
Understood, I purposely route rides though the backest of back roads to prevent annoying interstate type drivers in my way. It works well. IF a road turns up closed/non existant, it's not a big deal to use the destination pointer to keep going a new way until rerouting can find a way around the bridge/road/whatever. Part of the fun.

Quote:
The nav 4 keeps me from getting lost but im not so good at getting good routes if i get off the planned route.
Rerouting, it's a good thing.

Quote:
Do any of these android softwares have the curvy roads option? Is that worthwhile.
Not that I know of. The closest you'll find is 'cycling' and 'hiking' options in Locus or "Avoid highways' in Osmand. The cool thing about opensource stuff is if enough of ADVRIDER folks ask for that feature in osmand, it WILL HAPPEN and in a fantastic fashion.

Quote:
I also dont have a pc or mac to run basecamp on the road. (Hotel). Android makes sense for that.
This is exactly what i preach to people at every opportunity. There is no need for additional computers, map purchases, softwares, or anything.

Quote:
What is this google you mention for android?
mmm, not sure

Quote:
Well, it didnt take much effort to find google maps for android. And, they have an improved feature for offline maps. Sounds like a good option to me.
It's not a good option. It's really for city navigation only, as once you drop cellular service there is no routing capabilities.

Check out Locus and Osmand. These will provide you with plenty of options. Too many really, but you'll get the hang of it.