Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
dirty_harry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Dealing with China

hi guys
planning a trip from england to hopefully australia, planning to leave mid to late july from the UK and I've just come across the fact that i need a guide throughout the whole of china, previously i thought it was just for a couple of provinces. that said however i cant find an official website that actually states a guide is needed so if someone could link me to something like that it would be much appreciated so i know what im actually dealing with. more to the point of this post however, what is everyones plan of attack for china with regards to the guide. im doing this trip on a very very small budget but one that i think is doable. the price of a guide for the whole of china is getting me rather worried however so whats the cheapest way to go about it. is it going to be easier for me to leave the bike in Kyrgyzstan cross the border by foot and then buy another bike when i get to china. im yet to buy a bike, i got to france to purchase one in a couple of weeks time and im only looking for something around the 800euro price tag so its not a huge loss if i have to dump it and buy another bike.

i dont particularly wish to be chopping and changing my bike however so hopefully one of you very smart and knowledgeable people on here will be able to guide me throughout this.
cheers
harry
dirty_harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Almost ten years ago, there were a few riders, who just sneaked into China, and some even rode there without big problems. But I think now is different, the only way probably is with a guide.

My advice would be to head to India, then if you have time (and patience!) try your luck at the Burmese border (India to Thailand by bike has actually been done within the last 12 months, but still, do NOT expect it to be easy to get your bike into Burma!)..and if that fails, then ship the bike by air from Chennai (or Kathmandu, could actually be a better place to ship from) to Bangkok. There are no ferries.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:08 AM   #3
dirty_harry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
unfortunately india is out of the equation, im trying to do this without a carnet. the bike will be a permanent import to australia as i live there so i wont need a carnet to get into aus and im gonna try my luck when i get to malaysia and if i cant cross the border ill ship to aus from there. any ideas on "swaping" the bike at the chinese border, what are the regulations regarding a chinese drivers license?
cheers
dirty_harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
" what are the regulations regarding a chinese drivers license "

I'm no expert, but I believe they do not recognize either of the two versions of International Driving Permit. You'd have to get a Chinese license, to ride there legally. This is probably not easy, if you do not speak Chinese.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
daviddong
Tour China

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_harry View Post
unfortunately india is out of the equation, im trying to do this without a carnet. the bike will be a permanent import to australia as i live there so i wont need a carnet to get into aus and im gonna try my luck when i get to malaysia and if i cant cross the border ill ship to aus from there. any ideas on "swaping" the bike at the chinese border, what are the regulations regarding a chinese drivers license?
cheers
Normally foreigner can get Chinese drivers license in airport in Beijing. It can be done in a couple of hours, even can be done in one hour if you are lucky.
In your case, it looks doesn't easy to get Chinese drivers license. It depend on the police station of border port. What I know is some big border port can change your drivers license to chinese drivers license, of course there's some paper work need to be done, but normally the police or the soldier of border don't know how to fix the problem.

You don't need worry too much if you can not get a Chinese drivers license, but you must have a drivers license in your country, and bring it when you ride a bike in China.
You should say sorry to the police officer and tell him that you have a license in your country, but you don't know how to get a Chinese drivers license. You'd like to do it if you know how to do.
Normally the police officer will tell you be careful and let you go at the end if he can understand your situation.
The worst thing is the officer will charge some money as forfeit, You must asking invoice otherwise you can refuse pay money. Trust me, The officer will not put you in jail. Of coruse you should gentlemanly when you talk with the police officer.
In Chinese law, if you ride a motorcycle without drive license, the officer can charge you 200RMB to 2000RMB(about 25EUR to 250EUR), and put you in jail less then 15 days.
I never saw or heard police officer put foreign tourist in jail because no driver license. You will be famouse all over China if so, because you will show up on frontpage on TV, newspaper, radio...
daviddong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
daviddong
Tour China

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
cheers
One more thing, you will in trouble if you get a traffic accdient without Chinese driver license. because you can not buy any insurance.
You must pay attention to the motorcycle certificate when you buy a motorcycle in China, and the motorcycle need has insurance within the validity period.
daviddong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
TBR
Daily ADV in China

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
what are the regulations regarding a chinese drivers license?
Mate, not really a good situation as Mainland China does not recognise overseas driving license and international driving permits. Would not recommend driving / riding without a Chinese license as it's a well know fact that quite a few foreigners ended up in detention for up to 15 days on the spot without any court hearings and booted out of the country afterwards (not able to return to Mainland China on any type of visa for 5-10 years). This happened to short term visitors and resident "expats" holding work permits and Z visas alike.

Some time ago rental car companies like Hertz / Avis in China were able to obtain temporary driving license for foreigners (short term visitors) renting a car through them and the temporary driving license was interlinked with the rental car and actual rental period. They only issued temporary China driving license for cars - not for motorcycles!!!

Do not listen to any so called "visa / driving license agents" in China offering to assist or help out, they provide you with fake documentation for thousands of RMB (Chinese Yuan) and some of them driving licenses look like drawn with a black crayon by a five year old.....

Own motorbike, only legal way as of today is either going solo (very expensive) with a government appointed guide through a licensed tour operator for China travel and / or find a group of foreign China travellers that did all the ground work already and join them to lower the costs involved.

Be warned, TIC = This Is China and everyone is after your $$$$'s....

Side-note, have a read and a few laughs, China National Driving Exam Questions = http://www.chinese-driving-test.com