Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
scootertrash OP
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
How many of y'all run Rotella oil in your thumper?

I keep hearing about this trucking marketed oil on the various m/c forums. Just wondering what thumper riders think about it? thanks! :)

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Rotella?

Just can't figure why an oil intended for low revving large displacement diesels, where a major consideration must be long mileage between oil changes, would be good for a small displacement high revving motorcycle engine that people change the oil on every couple of thousand (or even several hundred) miles.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Because it has better detergents than regular cage oil, it comes in the viscosities we need, it doesn't have friction modifiers that could hurt our clutches etc. It is an excellent oil imo and a good fit for motorcycle use. I don't see how you could be upset over the "low" engine rpm. These diesels also use high pressure oil to power the injectors (over 16k psi) which requires that the oil be very non-foaming and the engine oil lubs the turbo's which turn ~70k rpm. Anyway, there are plenty of technical articles describing the exact characteristics of different oils and requirements of different machines. It happens that Diesel trucks and motorcycles require much the same oil. I don't have a thumper, but have been running the Rotella synthetic oil in both my street bikes and my truck for some time with no issues at all.
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Just can't figure why an oil intended for low revving large displacement diesels, where a major consideration must be long mileage between oil changes, would be good for a small displacement high revving motorcycle engine that people change the oil on every couple of thousand (or even several hundred) miles.
because, IIRC, it meets SJ requirements, which is pretty much what all motorcycle specific oil meets. I almost bought some the other day, but used some other stuff I had on hand.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Oddometer: 820
The reason is that the pressures and conditions common to diesel engines are similar when you consider that a lot of bikes bathe the transmission and clutch in the motor oil. The 'multi-purpose' oils hold up to the shearing, particulate matter and stress better in a bike motor.

I don't have a gazillion miles to report on, but using Rotella-T dino improved my shifting feel of the tranny on my KLR by a signifigant amount compared to the Castrol GTX the previous owner was using.

A family friend was an engineer with Shell and had been touting Rotella back into the late 80's when you could only get it in bulk drums for fleet use. He used to get a few gallons here and there for any of us who wanted to use it. From the cars I had over that time, it seemed to do the trick. I always got comments on how clean the top-end was, and how clean the oil was, whenever I took them in for valve adjustments... all I know is that it worked.
Kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,317
I don't use it in my KTM but my Blackbird sure likes it.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Darin
WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer: 594
Thumb

18,000 using the magic gold on my 2001 640 Adv

and now have 7,500 miles on my 2005 640 Adv

Bravo Zulu to the positive comments on Rotella

As long as it's available, I'll use it. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.

Darin
05640adv
- pencils miss spel words
- cars make people drive drunk.
- Spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment

http://ktmdarin.smugmug.com

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,068
I switch to Rotella T 15-40 in the colder months. It is an excellent oil for the reasons BikePilot stated, but switch back to GTX 20-50 in warm weather as I have used it for so long, I am just use to it.

Here is a good oil read regarding motorcylcle vs automotive oils. It may suprise some:

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #9
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,693
Another thumbs up here. I run it in the KLR and the Connie. It's an excellent oil for cycles, and it beats paying 4-8 bucks a quart for the MC specific oils. I run the dino version and change it every 3k or less. On sale, a buck a quart or less. The synth is good stuff as well, but I just don't swing that way.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,158
I can imagine there are quite a few avoiding this thread like the plague!!!

Note: please do not let the above comment in any way disturb the most rational discussion on oil I have EVER read here.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
As I am about to run out of M1 red cap... I'll be switching over to Rotella Synth, Mobil Delvac Synth or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV at the next oil change.

There is this well written and highly detailed article... and many others indicating that these oils are the way to go in a wet clutch bike.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
Great, another oil thread.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,165
Here's three documents to help anybody make up their mind:

1. Your Owner's manual/handbook.

For a 2002 640 KTM Adventure, mine states: "Only use fully synthetic branded oils meeting or surpassing the quality requirements of API classes SG or SH."

2. API Motor Oil Guide

3. Shell Rotella Technical Specifications

Based on these three documents, Rotella T Synthetic will work fine in my bike. I've used other 'diesel' oils (non-synthetic) in other bikes that don't require 100% syn and they've run & performed great. If Rotella Syn is inexpensive and passes the Walmart/Kmart/AutoZone test, I might give it try next time I need oil...

The bottom line is - simply use what the book says to use and change it when you're supposed to. And try to avoid "Energy Conserving" oils. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

Final note: I'm not so sure that "EC" oils are as bad as they used to be. I do know a few bike owners who simply dump whatever is on sale at the moment into their bikes and they haven't had any issues with their clutches. OTOH - Since non-EC oils are still readily available, why take the chance.

Should we talk about what gasoline octane to use next?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,349
I ran outta redcap a while back and switched *everything* in the gaspipe garage to Rotella synthetic (from the M6 to the 620RXC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
As I am about to run out of M1 red cap... I'll be switching over to Rotella Synth, Mobil Delvac Synth or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV at the next oil change.

There is this well written and highly detailed article... and many others indicating that these oils are the way to go in a wet clutch bike.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Great, another oil thread.
I was just thinking that. Wonder who'll get banned?

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote