User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
brianpc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Cycle world article July 14- 1190 adv R vs BMW R1200GSA

Anybody read this yet? If not, I'll format this for spoilers.. :)

*****SPOILER ARTICLE CONTENT WITHIN*******

It's about what you'd expect, no clearly defined winner with some nitipicks and praise overall. A couple questions I had with regard the KTM content:

- Under "Downs" on the comparison sheet it says "Bad things can happen quickly for non-experts" - couldn't this be said of any motorcycle? Especially any "adventure" type motorcycle? Seems just as applicable to the BMW as to the KTM.

- Also under "downs" it says "shouldn't it go 300 miles?" but doesn't give their range estimates or observed fuel ranges. What are people seeing range-wise out of 1 tank?

Other than these 2 things, it's pretty straightforward and what you'd expect. They do knock the KTM hard luggage as not being great for dirt riding, saying dirt gums up the lock and seals, and it's not very durable, but that's about it. Overall praise for the motor, transmission, and its dirt manners. BMW wins on ergos.

****** SPOILER ARTICLE CONTENT WITHIN ******
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
The luggage on that bike isn't the aluminum boxes though. They are the plastic ktm ones that I thought were meant more for the standard model and sport touring duty... Not heavy off-road use.
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post

- Under "Downs" on the comparison sheet it says "Bad things can happen quickly for non-experts" - couldn't this be said of any motorcycle? Especially any "adventure" type motorcycle? Seems just as applicable to the BMW as to the KTM.
I think it's in context that the KTM has a lot more power than more ADV bikes so you can get in over you head quicker with the 1190 than on most other bikes. A small miscalculation of throttle results in a bigger output. :)

at least that's the way i read it. overall a good read, and from what I hear it goes with the rest of the feedback I've heard- KTM wins for off road use, the more street oriented you are the more comfortable the GS is (while still having a more powerful motor than the air cooled versions).
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote