ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
Terez OP
Terez

Oddometer: 68
VEE fork feedback

I realize this is a well beat up topic......and yes I've searched till the PC locked up....so to lay a further beating on the poor ole horse....

I'm going to service my VEE forks...want to improve them a lil while I'm at it.
I am 200lb geared up, DON'T ride off road but ride crappy paved and dirt rds always solo and lightly packed. The VEE is currently set up with Conti Attack 2's, shorter gearing, taller bars/risers as I ride standing a lot, PCV/piped.

I am quite happy with the rear suspension and am not altering it.
The bike only has 12k kms on it but is an 06 and the forks have never been serviced so I'm going to do the seals with SKF's and fresh oil.

I am happy with the bottoming resistance but the fork is harsh on compression and seems to have little to no rebound damping.
Brake dive is also excessive.
At my weight and riding solo lightly packed I don't think I need stiffer springs but maybe some slightly stiffer straight rate springs to keep the bike riding higher in the stroke/valving would be better?

My research is leading me to think that simply 10w fresh oil and the stock springs might be fine?
Is a set of straight rate springs...90 or 95 worthwhile?
Are Gold valves significantly better?

Looking for actual experience from riders of similar size/riding environment.
I know the bigger guys need stiffer springs...and the riders truly pushing the bike off road need an entirely different setup...and some meds!! lol

Thanks Fellas'..in advance.
Terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
dl

gold valves are a big improvement, do it , i got mine from cogent, rick is a great guy !! His rear shock worked great too.
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:09 AM   #3
Butters
Kwyjibo

Oddometer: 2,586
I weigh about 175 and only ride solo, although I kept Givi V35 bags on my Vee all the time. I don't remember exactly, but I ended up with I think .90 springs from Racetech (maybe .85). I think the stock spring rates are around .70 or .75. So, unless you're really light, the forks are probably still undersprung (and 9 years old).

I also had a fork brace since the forks seem to flex a bit. These two additions both helped the front end of the bike quite a bit. But I have to admit, the front end was still pretty lacking. Although after I added the springs there was an acceptable amount of fork dive.

If you're going to the trouble of re-doing your forks, might as well spend an extra $100 on springs while you're in there IMO. I'm sure new valves are also an improvement, but I don't have any experience with those.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
bacustic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
My DL650 came with a set of Ricor Intiminators new in the box. I installed them a few weeks ago and they make a huge difference in brake dive and harshness. Around Denver the interstates and roads have a few more cracks and chunks missing after a winter of plows and the Intiminators really help on my daily commute. They are super easy to install and i am happy with the stock springs now. Last time I looked Ricor was offering a Strom special for them at $179 or something like that. If you are looking for springs I have a set of Racetech .90 straight rate springs new in the box that I am not using and we could work a deal.
bacustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Terez OP
Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacustic View Post
My DL650 came with a set of Ricor Intiminators new in the box. I installed them a few weeks ago and they make a huge difference in brake dive and harshness. Around Denver the interstates and roads have a few more cracks and chunks missing after a winter of plows and the Intiminators really help on my daily commute. They are super easy to install and i am happy with the stock springs now. Last time I looked Ricor was offering a Strom special for them at $179 or something like that. If you are looking for springs I have a set of Racetech .90 straight rate springs new in the box that I am not using and we could work a deal.

I've got a VEE...cartridge forks and different springs than the Wee.

Thx tho.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:39 AM   #6
bacustic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I've got a VEE...cartridge forks and different springs than the Wee.

Thx tho.
Gotcha. Anytime I can throw out confusing, nonessential information out I am happy to help

bacustic screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 04:44 PM
bacustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,728
calling Sonic... calling Sonic!

i dunno - this is one of those ideas that everyone's got a different take on from the subtle to the expensive. you might poke around stromtrooper for the proven gen 1 fork mods for the vee.
and we're assuming the small things have been done - flushing, varying the viscosity, etc. on an otherwise good enough system, harshness might come from overfilling, or inadequate valving..
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
superspeed123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I have Cogent springs, racetech gold valves and fork brace on my GSX1250FA. Great improvement over the front over the stock setup.You wouldn't reget it.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,844
I tried the heavier fork oil route and thought that turned out badly. So, I went against the Internet wisdom and reversed course to a lighter fork oil. However, heavier springs (Sonic) were a MUST because the springs are so soft that with a lighter oil they really pogo'd badly. I personally think that a 5w or even a 2.5w gave must better performance without re-valving.

Let's face it, they're cartridge type forks and in every other application they all are designed to use 2.5w oils, so mechanically speaking why would a V-Strom fork be different?

Ultimately, I do believe Suzuki screwed the pooch and has the wrong shim stack arrangement and without adjusting that or installation of a Gold Valve or similar an oil and spring change is just a band-aid. An improvement to be sure, but not a real fix.

Kawidad screwed with this post 03-21-2015 at 07:27 AM Reason: typo
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Terez OP
Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
calling Sonic... calling Sonic!

i dunno - this is one of those ideas that everyone's got a different take on from the subtle to the expensive. you might poke around stromtrooper for the proven gen 1 fork mods for the vee.
and we're assuming the small things have been done - flushing, varying the viscosity, etc. on an otherwise good enough system, harshness might come from overfilling, or inadequate valving..

I bought the bike used a yr ago although it only has 12000km on it. Original owner was a very sedate, lightweight rider.
I am going to service the forks regardless as they haven't had anything done to them. They still have the lawnmower engine oil that zook installed oem and I'm changing out the fork seals due to age and the bike sat for 3 yrs unused. While I'm at this I plan on going to slightly stronger, straight rate springs to get the bike to stay up in its stroke and work the valving instead of riding down in the bottom where there is none...typical factory fork.

I'm basically looking for what spring rate and oil combo others have used to good effect when doing this and or experiences with gold valves.

I believe a decent improvement is possible with the right straight rate springs and oil weight approach...just hoping to benefit from the vast proven experience of what must be thousands who have addressed this bike/fork before me. I bought this bike....one of others in the stable...as a trailing edge affordable sport tourer/adv bike so I'm looking at limiting the $$ with setting up and farkling the steed.

I ride off road and sleds and have plenty of experience setting up suspension...and know from experience also that simply throwing cash and expensive gizmos at suspension doesn't guarantee "better".

My 1st XCW300 got a very expensive popular aftermarket front/rear suspension package....worked good at ~1800.
My second XCW300 I resprung and had a local suspension guy tweak the shock/fork valving....worked AWESOME at ~$300.

Appreciate all the feedback fella's....keep it rollin..
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed123 View Post
I have Cogent springs, racetech gold valves and fork brace on my GSX1250FA. Great improvement over the front over the stock setup.You wouldn't reget it.
A friend of mine has the exact same setup. He is very happy with it...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #12
superspeed123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by homere View Post
gold valves are a big improvement, do it , i got mine from cogent, rick is a great guy !! His rear shock worked great too.
I got Cogent rear shock too. Good piece of kit for the price.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
I'm 205lbs. I added Sonic 1.0 fork springs, Racetech gold valves, and stiffer Eibach rear shock spring. I also raised the forks about 3/8ths of an inch in the triples when going back together. All it took was one cold winter afternoon. It rides like a completely different bike.