Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #2101
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
So, I hooked up an inductive timing light to the left cylinder, fired it up, and its showing consistant spark.

So I shut the bike down, and changed it to the right cylinder, and I am getting almost no spark.

Anyone ever had a coil go bad on these???

It is it is not a common issue, but it is an old bike. The 91-92 models are double fire engines. Sparks both cylinders at the same time. Sounds like either a bad spark plug wire or coil. You can switch them at the coil if you want to check the wire.
I did replace mine with a double fire accel coil for a Harley, but I don''t remember how many ohms the TDM coil uses. Probably gave my old one away with the bike but I will look.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 05:59 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #2102
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
, I started it and let it idle for about 10 minutes (I do this to all of my bikes during the winter, just to keep the fluids moving)
Don't do this. It doesn't help anything but your "feel good" level, and actually breeds corrosion by introducing acids and lots of water into the engine internals. I've seen plenty of lightly-used aircraft engines meet a premature over-haul because of this practice. Change the oil, stabilize the fuel, cover the exhaust tips, and say goodnight till spring.
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #2103
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Best to run it long enough to get the engine & oil hot which will get rid of any condensation. Even better if you can give it a short run to give the clutch, gearbox & all other moving parts a bit of exercise.

If you cannot give it that time try & keep it dry & use an intelligent charger to keep the battery in good condition.
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #2104
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
I know this has probably been mentioned before, but I am having trouble finding it, Does anyone know where to get racks to mount pelican cases to the back of a 92 TDM?

Cant seem to find them anywhere.
Sure. I got mine at Twisted Throttle. My receipt states SKU #KFT.06.062.100 SW-MoTech Quick-Lock sideracks, $230. You'll also need an adaptor kit ($20). I used the one for GIVI mounts (also available at Twisted Throttle) and then made sure I got GIVI mounts with the Pelicans, which I sourced from Caribou. The Quick-Locks took a couple of weeks to make the trip from Urup. The Quick-Locks required a bit of modification with a Dremel. I actually have some photos of what's required if you need some guidance.

The Quick-Locks stay in place on the bike:

The finished look:

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #2105
skunky56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRoad View Post
Sure. I got mine at Twisted Throttle. My receipt states SKU #KFT.06.062.100 SW-MoTech Quick-Lock sideracks, $230. You'll also need an adaptor kit ($20). I used the one for GIVI mounts (also available at Twisted Throttle) and then made sure I got GIVI mounts with the Pelicans, which I sourced from Caribou. The Quick-Locks took a couple of weeks to make the trip from Urup. The Quick-Locks required a bit of modification with a Dremel. I actually have some photos of what's required if you need some guidance.

The Quick-Locks stay in place on the bike:

The finished look:

Let me know if you need more info.
That is a beautiful TDM what windscreen and exhaust are you running?
skunky56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #2106
skunky56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
That is a beautiful 92 what windscreen and exhaust are you running?
skunky56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #2107
BluRoad
as in blue highways

The exhaust headers are OEM which have been ceramic coated. The slip-ons are Laser Pro-Stock. The screen is an MRA touring, available at Twisted Throttle, I think.

This bike has many farkles. For more details visit it's web page;
https://sites.google.com:443/site/jo.../Home/tdm850-1

Joe
Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #2108
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRoad View Post
The exhaust headers are OEM which have been ceramic coated. The slip-ons are Laser Pro-Stock. The screen is an MRA touring, available at Twisted Throttle, I think.

This bike has many farkles. For more details visit it's web page;
https://sites.google.com:443/site/jo.../Home/tdm850-1

Joe
Yep, the screen is the MRA Touring in smoke grey, I got it at TwistedThrottle...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1674/212/

Much better than the stock screen.....

Joe, glad you are still enjoying the TDM!

-steve
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #2109
allanmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Heres mine. Had quite a few dual sports bikes a tiger a varadero a wee strom and a vstrom and so far Im happy with the tdm. Never took any of them off road further than I could manage with the tdm so its lack of suspension travel and road tyres doesnt bother me.

Cheers Allan
Attached Images

allanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #2110
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 512
Still running on only one cylinder ...

All,
My old 850 TDM is still only firing on one cylinder at idle. I have replaced the CDI, coil, spark plug caps, and spark plugs.
I put my timing light on it, the left spark plug is sparking pretty good, my right spark plug only sparks occassionally.

I have tested the parts per the service manual, they all test within spec.

Thoughts everyone?

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #2111
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
Now this is a very lond shot here.

All the stuff test's up of but in the bike its all bad...Yes!

I found a TDM with one pot running very good in the fuel mix, a +12 from memory. The other pot was -121.(rich in the extream).

Could this be the problem?

Open to all runners for comment.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #2112
cristi-mic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
If by changing the spark plugs (Iridium preferable) there is no improvement, then it's time to adjust the valves (one of the most neglected but most important things on this engine).
Plugged jets also lead to this type of symptoms.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #2113
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 512
Carbs

OK, in case anyone is following my troubles with my TDM

It was only running on one cylinder unless you throttle it up.
Timing light was only showing spark on the left cylinder, long story short, it was lying, I have good spark on both cylinders, did the old trick of pulling the spark plugs and setting them on the valve covers and crank the engine.

Then I realized its probably a fuel/carb problem, pulled the carbs (took me an hour to figure out how to get them out) and took them completely apart.
Found out the idle jet was set wrong, 1 turn out instead of 2 turns per the service manual. Also the diaphragms have cracks in them. I found replacements on Ebay for $50/each, I got them ordered.
Now to put the carbs back together and wait for the diaphragms to show up. I suppose I should flush out the gas tank while I wait for the parts to arrive.

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #2114
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,511
A bit of adventure on the way to adventure

Sounds like you've chased down some of what's not working and needed to get the bike back to a good baseline of operation. I had a similar event on my Vision with the rear cylinder, turned out to be a bad cap. A new inline fuel filter with that tank flush and occasionally running sea foam through every now and again will save a lot of headaches as well. As mentioned earlier, a compression check will give you a good reference line to work from too. Rich
Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #2115
sgtunix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Greetings from South Africa, fellas! I've got a 1993 TDM 850 and mainly use it for off-road trips. For street riding I use my other bike, a ZX10R, although the TDM is a lot more practical going down to the store to buy a few things..!

When I purchased it too long ago, the condition was pretty bad. No carbs, no starter motor, seized engine, etc. Now it's working and I'm enjoying it! Changed emulsion tubes just a few weeks ago.

Here is a photo taken today! I'm running Michelin Sirac in front and some Michelin dualsport at the back. The only modifications so far have been handguards, steel braided brake hoses in front and an electric fuel pump. More pics will come, I might put up some ride reports too.
Attached Images

sgtunix is offline   Reply With Quote