Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #16
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
It's a little heavy at 418 pounds dry, but I really like the design - it looks a lot like a big single and isn't much more massive. If they installed a high exhaust and bigger spoked wheels it could be an awesome Adventure bike. The dry sump engine would offer good clearance with the pipes out of the way. (Though there is always the problem of mounting a skidplate directly to the crankcases....)

Any word at all if it will ever be brought to the USA? What would the estimated price be?
John Davies
My 900 is this colour scheme, I don't have any pics of it at all:

One of the main reasons I like it is that it's light and it's narrow. If I could have found a 650 Wee-Strom to look at and sit on I very likely would have bought a new one, but at the time the shops just couldnt get them.

The price of the TDM has always been a problem, great bike, but Yamaha have always asked too much. Mine was a bike shop demo with 7000kms (used mostly by Mrs bike shop owner, a cheap way of supplying her with a new bike each year), knocked down from $16300 + registration etc to $10990. I wouldn't (and couldn't) pay $16300 for a TDM, there are too many other good bikes out there at that sort of money. The shop sold me all their TDM accessories at cost as well, so I got me a screen and a centrestand at the same time. Was a country shop 4.5 hours out of Sydney, so they were happy to see me.

The TDM isn't a particularly popular bike here in OZ either, which means there are often bargains about though.

Al

AL-58 screwed with this post 10-30-2005 at 12:50 AM
AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #17
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,372
Just found this. Put me on the list. Not many of these around & I may have the only one left around here. Heard of a couple others, but they are never seen. I know one has left the State.
Any of you on Carpe-TDM? http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?
Had a hard time getting on there but site is working now & I have been posting there. Put up a lot of stuff about replacing a fork seal & bushings, & my mistakes along the way. Lots of pix.
Now on to (researching) a possible gas consumption problem, & replacing the elmusion tubes & slide needles. Anyone done this?
What kind of mileage do you get?

It's a '92, 39K+ on the clock. Bought it in summer '01.

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #18
Rolling Thunder
Pouring Rain

Oddometer: 105
I just picked up a 93' TDM850 in June in the Flea Market area of ADV Rider from Buck in Flagstaff. It had 11,000 miles on it. Here are the details from Buck:

Mostly stock, except for Ohlins rear shock and front suspension by RaceTech.

Other Details
Bridgestone BT-020's, 'bout 1000 miles on em
K&N Air Filter
Jetting by Factory Racing
New OEM Fuel Pump last year
Battery Tender lead - Battery great, 2-3 years old, kept on tender
Geared down one tooth in front. 125mph top end as geared with fatboy on it.
Oil always Synthetic, changed every 1000 miles or so since I bought bike 7 years ago. Bike had ~5,000 miles on when bought new from first owner.
Factory Service manual and owners manual.
Speedo regeared with Vmax to make it close (still 3-5% optimistic).

Bike is in great shape, garage kept.

I love the bike! I added a Corbin Gunfighter seat and a Marsee tank bag. I did a loop ride to the Grand Canyon and back from Flagstaff last weekend. I like the upright sitting position, it is real comfortable to ride. The gearbox is a little clunky and the throttle hesitates slightly, but that's what they call Soul right!

Rolling Thunder screwed with this post 07-26-2006 at 05:02 PM
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 AM   #19
Tom S
Can I ride it?

RT, that is a beauty! Wish mine looked like that.
Trade ya!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 AM   #20
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Just re-read your post. New oem fuel pump? Hope it is an electric one from an R1 or R6. If not, don't let it run out of gas!
I learned the hard way.
Check out that site I posted above. Best TDM info I have found.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 AM   #21
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Just found this. Put me on the list. Not many of these around & I may have the only one left around here. Heard of a couple others, but they are never seen. I know one has left the State.
Any of you on Carpe-TDM? http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?
Now on to (researching) a possible gas consumption problem, & replacing the elmusion tubes & slide needles. Anyone done this?
What kind of mileage do you get?

It's a '92, 39K+ on the clock. Bought it in summer '01.

I post on Carpe TDM, just added my .02 on jet kits. I consider changing the emulsion tubes as routine maintenance, when they oval out the first symtom is less gas milieage, then poor low speed throttle response. "Factory Pro" in SF bay area sell nickle plated ones that last 3-4 times longer than stock and only cost a few dollars more. $24 a piece! Not too difficult to change just time consuming getting to them. Pull the carbs off to get access to the diaphram and the gas bowl, you can leave all the throttle controls in place. If you need more I can PM you. I get around 50 mpg. The electric fuel pump is another great mod. No more "Yamaha blow job" to prime the vacuum one. Now have 56,000 miles on mine and still does not use any oil. I just ordered a new windshield for mine 2 inches taller with a flip at the top.
Rolling Thunder, that is one clean TDM.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #22
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 783
Very nice bike RT. What is that tailpipe?

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:55 AM   #23
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Itsatdm, I just looked all over at Carpe, can't find no jet kit posts. Like to read it. Where is it? What is your handle there?
Mine is same as here & other places.
I was afraid I'd have to pull the steenking carbs. I have 39,325 miles on mine & am getting 41-42 mpg. No running problems though. Wonder if someone already changed them. Doubt it. I think I could tell by looking into the top of the carb.
Those emulsion tubes come with new needles too? I think they do, but the Factory Pro site does not say so or show them.
Winter work.
I guess RT don't want to trade. Gee, wonder why? That's the prettyest TDM I have seen pictured. Mine is the only one I have seen in person.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:10 AM   #24
tcartpilot
Airhead...

Oddometer: 38
Have a friend that said he wanted to sell his TDM, a 1992 model. Took it for a two day ride over most of eastern Oregon and fell in love!! Unfortunately, got back and he decided that he didn't want to sell after all. Would love to own one.

R100GS

tcartpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:37 AM   #25
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,789
AL58s TDM a couple of weeks ago - I likem
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #26
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
'nother TDM rider here. My '93 doesn't look anywhere near as sweet as Rolling Thunder's. But it's been a reliable daily driver for 40,000+ miles. It's starting to show its age. I'm prolly gonna sell it soon (when I find somebody to buy my jeep) and get a wee-strom.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #27
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
I've always wanted one, but could never find the right one at the right time. I wish Yamaha would import it again. With the expanding Adventure bike market in the US, it might be time to try it again.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #28
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Itsatdm, I just looked all over at Carpe, can't find no jet kit posts. Like to read it. Where is it? What is your handle there?
Mine is same as here & other places.
I was afraid I'd have to pull the steenking carbs. I have 39,325 miles on mine & am getting 41-42 mpg. No running problems though. Wonder if someone already changed them. Doubt it. I think I could tell by looking into the top of the carb.
Those emulsion tubes come with new needles too? I think they do, but the Factory Pro site does not say so or show them.
Winter work.
I guess RT don't want to trade. Gee, wonder why? That's the prettyest TDM I have seen pictured. Mine is the only one I have seen in person.
At that mileage if they have never been changed you are overdue. The longest I have gone is 20,000 miles, but I was running the Factory pro needles too. They sell a complete jet kit, but also sell the componants alone. You can find my response on Carpe TDM here: http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=1309
You might detect the ovaling by looking into the carb, but it is hard to detect as it doesen't take much. The throttle response issue is really evident at high altitudes, might not be so noticable at lower elevations
Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #29
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

My TDM

Old 07-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #30
Rolling Thunder
Pouring Rain

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm
Very nice bike RT. What is that tailpipe?
Hi Dessert Storm. Thanks for the compliment. The tailpipe is stock. There is one on each side.