Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #31
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
You might detect the ovaling by looking into the carb, but it is hard to detect as it doesen't take much. The throttle response issue is really evident at high altitudes, might not be so noticable at lower elevations
Thanks Itsa-
I didn't mean that I could detect the ovaling by looking into the carb, but I sure should be able to tell if they are the brass or the nickel plated ones. Also, from the sounds of your post on Carpe, I should have no problem & may even be better off sticking with the stock needles. Good, as I never did see the needles on the Factory Pro site, & less $$. : )
I have never had the running problems that you mention, but it sounds like it would get better in any case. However the prior owner said that he never used or needed the choke for starting & wondered if it had been jetted. Looks like I will be finding out. I do use the choke if it is dead cold, first start, but sparingly.
Yeah, that diaphragm vacuum powered fuel pump has to go. What a pain. Never had a bike that needed a fuel pump.
I did have a running problem due to carbs once. It was strange, as it appeared after running one season with no problem. Then it cropped up. One of the air screws/jets was way off. IIRC it was only out 1.5 turns instead of 3. WTF!?
I think I ended up @ 2.5 turns on one carb & 3 on the other. Hmm. Guess I should sync the carbs after installing the new tubes.

Sounds like we have the same pipe/can. I hate the way it sounds. Been described as obnoxious. Prior owner also claimed that he took it off & tried the stock pipes, but lost power. Stock setup is also a lot heavier. So-- (EDIT: Wait, you went back to stock pipes?)

Your bike sure looks familiar.

Tom S screwed with this post 07-27-2006 at 01:59 PM
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #32
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Had one. Loved it. Sold it.
Thought about getting another one.... But My Uly does everything it could do... and a bit more.
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #33
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
I didn't mean that I could detect the ovaling by looking into the carb, but I sure should be able to tell if they are the brass or the nickel plated ones.

Yoiu can tell that by pulling off a float bowl while on the bike. That metal tube sticking into the bowl with a collar and screw in the end is part of the tube.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #34
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
I have a 1992 model that I still use as my primary ride. I have probably owned 25 motorcycles so far, ride a year or two and go on to another. I have owned this 8yrs and everytime I think about the newest and greatest I take it for a ride. I just can't let it go. 50,000+ miles and still in great condition.
Here, here .....

My TDM is my primary ride ......... it's a 93 with 14k on it .... I'm out in Oregon, but would love to hook with other TDM owners.

I can't really explain it ..... but I really love that bike more than my others I currently own.

Here's a pic of her ................
Attached Images

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #35
Rolling Thunder
Pouring Rain

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
At that mileage if they have never been changed you are overdue. The longest I have gone is 20,000 miles, but I was running the Factory pro needles too. They sell a complete jet kit, but also sell the componants alone. You can find my response on Carpe TDM here: http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=1309
You might detect the ovaling by looking into the carb, but it is hard to detect as it doesen't take much. The throttle response issue is really evident at high altitudes, might not be so noticable at lower elevations
I have throttle response issues with my TDM. I guess it makes sense since you said it is more evident at high altitudes. Flagstaff, Arizona is at 7,000 feet. Tom S what altitude are you at?

BTW, the red ones sure look pretty!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #36
Rolling Thunder
Pouring Rain

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandango45
Here, here .....

My TDM is my primary ride ......... it's a 93 with 14k on it .... I'm out in Oregon, but would love to hook with other TDM owners.

I can't really explain it ..... but I really love that bike more than my others I currently own.

Nice looking bike mandango45. How do you compare your TDM to your Tiger? How does the ride compare? Also, what brand of tires do you have on your TDM? They look like they would be good on dirt roads. Thanks
Old 07-28-2006, 01:34 AM   #37
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder
I have throttle response issues with my TDM. I guess it makes sense since you said it is more evident at high altitudes. Flagstaff, Arizona is at 7,000 feet. Tom S what altitude are you at?
BTW, the red ones sure look pretty!
RT, I am very close to sea level. My house is at 400', on "The Hillside" & most of my running around is at lower elev., near sea level.
Red? Any time you want to trade bodywork, let me know!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #38
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Question

So I was reading through some archived emails I have from the TDM mailing list and ran across a few praising the upgrading of the carbs to 41mm Keihin FCR's. Anyone here done that? If so was it worth the $. I've always thought the TDM would be perfect with just a bit more power.

Also, on the subject of upgrades, my shock has about had it. Who's upgraded their shock? I'm thinking about the Wilber model 640 ($516).
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #39
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse_Riley
So I was reading through some archived emails I have from the TDM mailing list and ran across a few praising the upgrading of the carbs to 41mm Keihin FCR's. Anyone here done that? If so was it worth the $. I've always thought the TDM would be perfect with just a bit more power.

Also, on the subject of upgrades, my shock has about had it. Who's upgraded their shock? I'm thinking about the Wilber model 640 ($516).
The previous owner upgraded the suspension on mine. The rear is a works suspension shock with a remote nitrogen cannister. Adjustable for preload and rebound. Receipt does not show the model # but it was $550 in 1997.
The front springs were replaced also, but again do not know with what.
Unfortanately l can't compare to stock as I never road on one. This set up is pretty sweet, supple but controlled. Small changes in the settings can be felt immediately.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #40
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Re: fork springs. I upgraded mine with RaceTechs a few years ago. It helped with the radical fork dive this bike is known for, but didn't get rid of it. I wish I would have done Gold Valves at the same time. Still, fork springs were well worth the $.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #41
tdmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Man seeing this thread pop up again gave me the jones BAD. Had a 92 in blue with a corbin and kerker cans. Got a lot of what's that but on a road any road with any bike it was always right there. Also ran some Pirelli Scorpions on it and it did a damn fine job off road for a street bike. Had to go look see what's for sale. I do wish amaha would import the new 900 version. The Bulldog look like hella good fun too.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #42
tdmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Here, here .....

Mandango what front tire is that. I always hard a hard time with that 18" in front. Sweet looking bike...
Old 08-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #43
G-Funk

I lost the thread for a few .....

Greetings everyone .......

First, for the 2 posts that complimented my TDM .... thanks you so much. As I said before ...... I really love that bike.

Tires ......
Good Fucking Gawd ...... I belong to another list site that's specifically for TDM's, they haven't had much going on lately, but back in Jan. there was a major thread about the "Front Tire" issue. I did'nt know what they meant at the time, since I just acquired my TDM in November of 05, and out here in western Oregon, it's mo-fo raining at that time ..........

And no, back then I didn't have the proper gear for riding out in the P.N.W. during the rainy season ....... Hey! I'm originally from Chicago ...... waddaya want ?!?!?!?!?

Well .... I found out what the "front tire" issue was when I started looking for tires ..... I went from the US to the UK, to AU ........ fuck. I thought I centered on a cross pair of Metzelers ...... A Tourance in the back and an .... MK4 something or another .... this goes back like to Feb of this year .... the tread compatibility between the 2 Metz. were good, and I found this out from a post of that other site. The only place I could get the front in my rim size was the UK, so I said ....... OK ..... I call a shop in London, and just F'ing order them from overseas ............. well it started fine, and the shop in London found out from there distrib. that Metz. no longer carried the MK4 something-or-another ......... It took a couple weeks of fairly intense research only to start at square 1.

Then I read another post of a person who ran Distanzia AM44's on both rear and front, cept the front was a ............... yup! you guessed it, a rear rotated proper way round and put on the front. So I did a little more research, and even contacted the PNW distrib of Distanzia ... and even though he could not "officially" support the idea of a rear on the front, he said he knew of a great deal of people, due to odd rim sizes that did just that with no problems ..........

So ..... my rear is a Distanzia AM44, and my front is the same .... fitted proper way round. I've put about 2000 miles on them, and they've been F'ing great. No problems, no abnormal wear on the front .... And ..... when I first got the TDM, she had street tires on her, and lemme tell ya, I didn't feel comfortable with them, as I've been riding dual sport tires for quite a while ..... on my previous love .... my Transalp ........
So if any of you want dual sport tires for a TDM-850, about the only choice you are going to have, unless something new is out, are AM44's.
You could go with a mix of Dunlops, but I personally didn't like the tread compatibility.

As for my TDM compared to my Tiger .........
And I have to be honest ....... A few weeks back, dumb-dumb me, fell off my back deck (I lost my balance) while moving a ladder while I was cleaning my gutters (I was not on the ladder) and broke my right foot (small and clean - but still a break) that I just got out of the cast! And I'm working on rebuilding my calf muscle. Yes ....... I have a chicken leg.

So I just acquired my Tiger like, what ...... 3 days before my mishap ...... WHICH LEMME TELL YA EVERYONE, GETTING A NEW BIKE, AND RIDING IT ONLY TWICE, BEFORE ONLY BEING ABLE TO START IT AND LOOK AT IT (while having a tastey beverage) HAS SUCKED !!!!!!!!!!!

About 3 more weeks, and I'm back on ......

So to compare the 2 bikes, for the little I've road the Tiger ......
To me, power band seems similar ... but I need to take her (the Tiger) out more, obviously.
Balance, cornering, and feel seem slightly the same, but the Tiger has wider grips. It took me a bit to get use to the TDM's stock bars .... they're narrower ..... which I really like now-a-days.
I think the reason there's a great deal of similarities with the bikes as far as power band, gear ratio - to the extent I've ridden the Tiger, is that one bike is a carbed 849 displacement, and the other is a carbed 885 displacement.
Though part of me feels the V2 on the TDM has more gumption off the line, though I need to test this out more .........'
The big difference off the bat that I saw / felt, was my posture and seating between the 2. With the TDM, and I have a Corbin for her, I feel perched up front more, like slightly leaned in to the front, which again I had to get use to, and I think this is due to how much the TDM is a hybrid out of the Tenere .....
Whereas, the Tiger, for posture, feels more like my Transalp, just a bigger bored bike .... Where I'm sitting basically straight up, with no lean .... at least none that I can really tell of, cept if I'm cutting it through some nice twisties, where I'm leaning into shit.
The TDM, with her tires, does really well on groomed trail roads, and I haven't gotten the Tiger out there just yet. First I want to put on new tires.

Anyone have any suggestions ?????? Rim size for the front is standard so it won't be a bitch trying to find d.s. tires for her ........

So anyhow that's my report about the TDM compared to the Tiger, and come Sept ...... ummmmm, maybe 5th or 10th, when I start riding again, I'll be able to give a better comparision report.

I've subscribed to this thread so I won't loose it again ..... and will most definitely talk to ya all later ........

Take care everyone, and take it easy .......

G.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #44
G-Funk

Laugh p.s.

Here's another pic with the Corbin on, and out where she belongs, and not just on my access road ............

Take it easy everyone ......
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2006, 03:24 AM   #45
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
----post of a person who ran Distanzia AM44's on both rear and front, cept the front was a ............... yup! you guessed it, a rear rotated proper way round and put on the front.
Not sure I understand what you mean, "rotated proper way round ".
Is your front tire mounted with the rotation arrow pointing in the direction of rotation? Or Rotated 180°?

Am running a fairly new Pirelli Scorpion ST on the rear, & a new Pirelli Scorpion AT, actually made as a rear tire, on the front.
However my front is mounted backwards, arrow pointing in the opposite direction of rotation. Was advised that this was the way to go if you must mount a rear designed tire on the front. Tread pattern for rear is designed to accelerate forward, so if on the front, it would be correct to decelerate. Makes sense to me.
Had to make a choise ASAP, front was shot. Did not realize the 'right' front was that hard to get. Seemed like the best match for the rear.

I doubt that it would be a big problem either way, maybe not as good wear. We also had some discussion about mixing radial with bias ply tires. Never mix 'em on a car, I know that fer sure, drove somebody's years ago. Whoa!

Same guy that really did not think much of using a rear on the front - but, did say if you needed to do that, mount it backwards, did not think much of mixing radial with bias ply either. But that was a "may-may not handle funny" thought. I do value/trust his opinion.
My last set was mixed, radial & bias ply. As are these. Seem to work ok, but I may not be the one to judge.