Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Joe Blow OP
Worker of the Mojo

Oddometer: 10
Thumb New Mojoblocks for the new Harbor Freight Tire Changer!

Hello Folks -

Joe Blow here, purveyor of the Mojolever and Mojoblocks, accessories for the Harbor Freight tire-changing stand. Some of you know me better as Joe Frickin' Friday, a tedious, meddlesome moderator from BMWST.com.

Good news: in case you missed it, Harbor Freight recently resumed sales of the motorcycle attachment for their portable tire changing stand. They have changed the style of the rim-grabbing jaw though, so my original-style Mojoblocks no longer fit it.

More good news: after much fiddling and figuring, I now have a new version of Mojoblocks available for sale.

My updated web page is here, with all the pictures and info you'll need in order to make sense of what I'm saying:

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

OK, I lied, just a little. There are actually TWO new versions of Mojoblocks. "Type 2" fits what Harbor Freight is currently selling, and "Type 3" fits some of the imitators that were being sold by other vendors over the past few years. If you already have your stand, take a look at the jaws and compare them to the chart on my page; if you haven't yet bought your stand, it's just about a sure thing that you will need Type 2.

As before, the price is $30; you can email me at prestondrake@comcast.net for complete purchase instructions.

Thanks!
-Mitch
Joe Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 306
Good to know, something I was waiting for, but made some out of a cutting board.
Even though my time has no value, I would have gladly paid $30 for a set.
I have found stretching a piece of bicycle inner tube over the blocks keeps the wheel from turning when applying lever pressure

kenstone screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 01:18 PM
kenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Joe Blow OP
Worker of the Mojo

Oddometer: 10
One caveat I just learned about:

The new motorcycle attachment from Harbor Freight comes with a single centerpost - and it's a hollow tube 1 inch in diameter. WTF were they thinking??? There are a lot of bikes with axles skinnier than this, so it won't fit through the wheel!

The good news is that you can replace this with a solid steel rod up to 11/16" in diameter, 2 feet long. www.mcmaster.com will have what you need, although you might find better prices (and no shipping charge) from a local metal vendor in your area.
Joe Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,709
nice Mitch. still loving my Mojo bar & blocks from back in my bmwrt.com days.
i followed your story from buying a stove and learning to powder coat to current.

i posted this thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756992
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blow View Post
One caveat I just learned about:

The new motorcycle attachment from Harbor Freight comes with a single centerpost - and it's a hollow tube 1 inch in diameter. WTF were they thinking??? There are a lot of bikes with axles skinnier than this, so it won't fit through the wheel!

The good news is that you can replace this with a solid steel rod up to 11/16" in diameter, 2 feet long. www.mcmaster.com will have what you need, although you might find better prices (and no shipping charge) from a local metal vendor in your area.
there is alot of WTF HF with this new updated mc attachment.
it's almost like they tried to make it as poorly as possible.
funny considering most HF tools generally get getter over time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Good to hear, I'm making my own right now and mine look the very similar. Thanks for the effort, if mine don't work well I know what I'll try next, hope you sell many of them.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,439
bump ... so i can find it again

will assemble the tire changer on monday and will purchase the correct blocks.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I welded an attachment for the that tire changer so it will slide into the receiver of my truck. It makes tire changes in the driveway easier and manageable on the side of the road and at the track.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
rube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Threaded rod size?

Hello,

I've got one of the new versions of the HF MC tire changer.

Has anyone figured out the size and thread pitch of the approx. 1 inch stub on the end of the vertical red tube that is suppose to go through the wheel bearings of the wheel?
It is very close to the size of the 3/4 inch all thread and bolts at Lowes but not exactly correct. I figure it is metric but there were no metric fasteners large enough at Lowes for me to figure out the exact size. Maybe 17mm?

I would like to make a couple different center posts that I can actually fit through the wheel bearings of my bikes. I could weld any diameter rod or tub on another bolt of the correct size and thread pitch but I just could not figure it out.

Also, if you have made a hitch mount for the MC tire changer could you post a picture? I think I'll make one but wanted to see what others have come up with first.

Thank you,

rube
rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
headshrink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I recently got the HF MC attachment as well, but guess what..... it's not compatible with the HF tire changer base I had ordered from them right when they originally discontinued the MC attachment a couple years ago.

At first I thought the threaded rod inside the new attachment was too bent to screw onto the base properly, so I exchanged it for a new one at their retail store. Unfortunately it has the same problem. What I figured is happening is they must have changed either the rod size slightly, or the thread pitch. It feels like it will engage the first thread or so, then Jams. I know my base unit isn't damaged because the cap that comes with it works perfectly. It sort of holds itself, but it's too high, and probably only SEEMS fairly stable because it's really only jammed on. Has anyone else had, or heard of this problem? Unfortunately the only fix I can think of is buy a new base unit.