ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 02:28 AM   #16
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
I don't really want to ride it alone. I was hoping to find 2 or 3 riders here who'd accompany me.
Good luck with that. Make sure you don't end up in the bottom of a dry well with someone yelling down "put on the lotion" over and over again. The folks you are looking for make Norman Bates look like Captain Kangaroo (IMHO).

Quote:
I wasn't planning to venture very far away. As I said, just ride in for sunset, camp, and ride out at sunrise. It looks like there's a good 3+ hours between sunrise and temps hitting triple digits. I was planning to be out of the park before that happens.
Re think this.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #17
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I wasn't planning to venture very far away. As I said, just ride in for sunset, camp, and ride out at sunrise. It looks like there's a good 3+ hours between sunrise and temps hitting triple digits. I was planning to be out of the park before that happens.
Keep in mind that getting out of the park isn't going to get you away from ALL the heat. It will still likely be 100+ all the way from Pahrump back to Lost Wages at that time of year. For my money, I'd stay in the air conditioning in Vegas and come back to DV another time. November and February are both typically nice weather with days in the 70's and nights in the 40's or 50's.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #18
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
I agree. Tell us how you like Vegas in the summertime. I know riding in 119 degrees into Laughlin about cooked my ass.

Not only the heat, but you are unfamiliar with the Park. I don't know how many lost rental cars are still out there. I would not ride it alone in the middle of winter, much less summer.

You can google average temps for any month of the year in DV. My recollection is 86 for the average LOW in your time frame.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 08:12 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #19
recharge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I had to go out to Las Vegas Last week and thought about riding the bike, but looked at temps and took the car. Came back through death valley it was 112 degrees. HOT. I was glad to be in the air conditioned car.
recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
Skippii OP
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I agree. Tell us how you like Vegas in the summertime.
I spent a week in Vegas last July. Temps averaged about 107. I didn't do any riding, but I walked about 8 to 12 miles most days.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
Skippii OP
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
Keep in mind that getting out of the park isn't going to get you away from ALL the heat. It will still likely be 100+ all the way from Pahrump back to Lost Wages at that time of year.
That was kind of one reason I wanted to do it...I figured it would only be about 10 degrees hotter than the other places I'd be going.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #22
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/...15-degree-heat

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #23
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,103
If you were from a cold climate, I would say no way. It sounds like you may have a realistic idea of what you are in for, however, so it may be doable.

You should go in with all of your water storage full. You'll probably drink about 2/3 of it. If you break down, you will need every drop. If that were to happen, don't go wandering in the direction you think you need to go across the desert. That is how people die out there. Simply wait out the heat of the day under a bush, and follow the roads back to a known location like Furnace Creek during the night. The park map is pretty good. Bring a compass as well, and you should be fine.

The freezing temps can be found on the mountain peaks during the night. It doesn't freeze on the valley floor during summer. Early morning in DV is pretty awesome, and worth the effort.

My 2 favorite things to see were Scotty's Castle (the engineering tour) and the road through Titus Canyon.

You may be able to find people to go with you through one of the motorcycle rental outfits in Vegas.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #24
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I wasn't planning to venture very far away. As I said, just ride in for sunset, camp, and ride out at sunrise.
You could easily die of heat injuries pulled over at a rest stop off I-15 while hundreds of cars shoot by without stopping and a dozen pull in and out of the parking lot, giving no more than a second look at the guy "napping" at a picnic table. The main highways between Beatty, Shoshone, Panamint Springs, Lone Pine, Scotty`s Castle, Stovepipe, Furnace Creek, and Badwater are not desolate, and somebody WILL pull over to look for a thumbs up if anything looks suspicious. Be sensible, take pictures, and enjoy.
bdesj is offline   Reply With Quote