ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Renaissanceman OP
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 149
Relocating to Corvallis...

Well... I never thought I'd see the day when I'd want to move away from Colorado, but ever since I first visited Oregon, I've thought if I ever did move somewhere else, Oregon could be the place. Pretty much everything Colorado has, plus the ocean - and oxygen. And a butt-load more trees! And, yeah, I've heard all about the rain (renaissanceWoman lived in Corvallis for most of a year before I knew her) - but after close to 30 years living in the desert that is western Colorado, I'm thinking a little moisture might be a nice change. Besides, I've never been known to let a little rain spoil my ride!

I've been following this regional forum for a while now, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with the local DS community - from what I've read here, and from what I've seen on my previous visits, I could ride for the rest of my days and not see all the PNW has to offer! And since I'm a working joe like most of you probably are, and my riding time is limited, I'll be grateful for any tips I you care to offer - I'll buy the beer ! Fortunately there's no shortage of great beer to choose from - another thing CO and OR have in common!

Anyway, renaissanceWoman found herself a job at OSU, moved out to start working, and provided we can find a place to live(?), I'll follow her out later this summer. I had read about the housing/rentals situation in the area, but until my wife got there and started looking, I didn't appreciate how desperate it really is! It's almost like the mall on the day after Thanksgiving! The good stuff gets snapped-up before it hits the ads. Sheesh! We're looking for something temporary for a year or two while we sell our house here - no kids or pets, just two responsible (okay, one ), quiet adults. If anyone reading this has any tips, feel free to PM me or chime in here - it'd be greatly appreciated!

Also, to any of you in the building trades - how's business? I'll be looking for a job in a cabinet shop and I see there are a couple big shops in the area - any recommendations before I start beating the street and introducing myself?

I can't wait to get out there! Every night, my wife tells me about the latest trail she hiked or about another road she thought would be good for riding. Ouch! Don't worry about me... I'll just be here painting the decks and windows and packing and and, oh yeah, working 50 hour weeks down at the shop !

See you on the road!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Keep your eyes on the Corvallis ADV Night at the Flat Tail.
It's a pub on 1 st.
Small ADV group meets there to tell lies, go on rides.
Corvallis is a College town. New kids every year away from home for the first time...gets old..fooks want to party 'till 5 am.
Better and cheaper to live else where.
Building boom is in other states.....laws on books to keep mass population in check. keeping farm land for farming, not subdivisions.
Better off making high end furniture and the like rather that cabinets for new homes...if that's what you are thinking.
Housing / land is expensive.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
My wife works at OSU too. We moved from Bend a couple years ago, I still do most of my riding over there though but what a mess that place (Central Oregon) has become... in my opinion. Corvallis is smaller which is nice for me, and the summer is really cool cause all the kiddos go home. Pretty decent fishing and hunting in the area. Coast range is cool... etc etc blah blah. Oh yea housing sucks... we would love to rent a house with some property, but are stuck in a $1280/mo apartment. Don't know about jobs... I go to school part time to get a worthless piece of paper.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Renaissanceman OP
DON'T PANIC!

Thanks DD - I've been watching that thread, I hope to buy you (a) beer one day .
Living just down the road from g'Aspen forced us worker bees into stupid commutes long ago. I know guys that drive 90 miles each way for the privlage of serving the 0.1%. Okay, that sounds a little too political - the point is, there's no way to get ahead here anymore. Building is heating up again, but we're all working harder than ever for the same wage we made in 1999! Hence the move.
We went through uncontrolled growth in the 90's - the housing bust took care of that problem, but not soon enough to save the river bottom ranches. I'll take cows over condos any day.
I'll also take furniture over cabinets every day of the week, except custom furniture is even more esoteric than custom cabinets - it's become more art than anything else. Tough to make it pay.
Other than that, housing there looks to be priced similar to around here - hopefully, we'll be able to trade more or less straight across.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I think a lot of people end up living in Albany which is only 15 minutes away if I recall. Shoot me a PM when you get here.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.woodcastle.com/

Old 06-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

The owner is a bikin' bud of mine for 29 years. Yeaks !

He is making money.

Not sure if you will make money working for him or not.

You could do worst.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is another bone for ya. Woof !

OSU Maintenance Department, if you know your way with wood butcher tools.

They do have a 5 second rule you have to comply with.

Dark sun glasses will help with that task. Woot!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
Renaissanceman OP
DON'T PANIC!

Hey, Cool! Thanks for that info guys! Especially the link to Wood Castle - sounds right up my alley! It actually seems like there're a few good options for me - I'll bet I can find something.

And my wife is getting closer to finding somewhere to live for a while - just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Ha! I know what you're sayin' DD - I was hanging out in Boulder last summer on a couple weekends I don't remember girls looking that good when I was 21!

Again, thanks for the 411, looking forward to meeting up! Sounds like the weather has been pretty nice for riding the spring - I hope you've all been able to get out and enjoy it!