Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #91
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorWis View Post
In hindsight, I wish I had learned both!

I will next time!

Todd
Todd,
Apologies for the thread drift. It irks me when people foolishly characterize a whole people on the basis of their own limited and often ignorant experiences. I have traveled quite a bit, and my observations is that there are A/H's everywhere (fortunately very few) - but where they come from has nothing to do with it.
.................................................. .........................
And I meant every word about Dylan!

Now back to the show...........

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #92
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 260
Day 8 continued

The rain had quit and we were tooling along pretty good in our solitude. You can see that the gravel or road surface composition has changed. It’s now gray rather than red.

We took a break at this river crossing. What a beautiful area. I would love to backpack or canoe in this area.

Dylan was excited to see the sign with all the salmon.

We were here for a bit and I took a couple of videos of the river. We walked around the bridge and admired the view for awhile. Then a big semi truck came rolling over the top of the hill. We made ourselves REAL small against the edge of the bridge as it passed.

Here’s our trusty stead again. Poised to again attack the TLH!

It was so pristine looking that I took a little video footage.

Looking down through the grates.

Dylan enjoying the view.

Once again we stopped to rest. I had to use the local toilet facilities so I went to the edge of the woods. What in the world is this?

We figured out later on that they are the grader blades. They were about an inch thick and about 6 to 8 feet long. Wow, could a person clean up at the scrap yard recycling those! We found several more areas that had these worn out blades.

There was also a children’s book.

The things people leave behind, eh?

Just a few miles up the road as we came over a rise. We saw this bear in the middle of the road. At first he didn’t move very fast but then as we approached (I swerve back and forth a little to look bigger) he took off pretty quickly.

Then after going by the guardrails here I noticed a tent with a stove pipe. This is a reverse from the hip shot of a canvas wall tent with a wood stove along the TLH.

Yes, the dust is pretty bad to contend with. You can’t see once you’re in it. You also need to be VERY careful when another vehicle approaches. You can move over a bit but on a motorcycle you can’t get too close to the edge. It’s mushy and will suck you right in.

A large rock area that had been cleared at the top of this hill.

As we approached we saw what we thought was an Inuksuk. It wasn’t. Take a close look!

Another rest stop. They had built areas to put the signs so they weren’t right along side the road. Those didn’t have the amount of travel on them so you didn’t want to pull into one. At least not with a big heavily loaded bike. You DO need to pull over as far as you safely can when you stop though.

I was also having problems applying my rear brake. Hmmmm, what’s this? Oh, maybe that rock stuck there is preventing any pressure to be applied.

We saw a sign for a picnic area. That usually means there’s a shaded area to sit and relax so we pull over. It was across the road from a maintenance office. It was nothing more than a very large area with an octagonal picnic table chained to the ground. It was nice to be able to sit (actually lie down on the table). A lady pulled up from the other direction and went in the building. She came out with a sat phone (gotta use them outside no matter what they show on TV) and began getting pretty animated while talking.

Another beautiful river scene.

And the peaceful video.

Dylan admiring the view.

We got to this point and the same thing began to happen that I experienced on our last trip (Prudhoe Bay) on the way home. When I got off the bike I almost fell flat on my face. When I got off and stood up the dizziness was incredible. I had to hold onto the bike to keep from going down. It would pass in a few minutes.

Dylan thought he was going to have to use the SPOT rescue button! No, I just need to stop taking my blood pressure medication. All this fresh air, exercise, alcohol free, eating right and no stress from work living was going to kill me!

Not a great place to get stranded, eh? I suppose they could have gotten a helicopter in easy though!

I stopped the meds and each day after that I felt better. It only takes a day or two to get beck to “normal”.

I’ve been trying to upload 18 videos that I took today (it was dry most of the day) and it’s giving me grief (slow).

Some of the video may be out of sync with where we are actually at when I do get it posted.

It was nice to be finally warm and dry. At least for a little while….

2up to Labrador - Another father/son adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984421
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #93
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Todd,
Apologies for the thread drift. It irks me when people foolishly characterize a whole people on the basis of their own limited and often ignorant experiences. I have traveled quite a bit, and my observations is that there are A/H's everywhere (fortunately very few) - but where they come from has nothing to do with it.
.................................................. .........................
And I meant every word about Dylan!

Now back to the show...........

Nick
Thank you! It's all good. We all get tied up into these adventures and can get "into the moment". I learn a lot from not only what we experienced but also what others have as well.

I think you see that there are some great people in this world. The best part of our trips that we have taken have always ended up being the people we have met along the way. We seem to be approachable and people enjoy hearing about the adventure. They get to also be a small part of that adventure as they seem to live it through us. Us not being Dylan and me but all of us. How many other riders have had people approach them to want to know where they have been, where they are going, etc.?

It's also heartwarming to see a youth blossom from the cultural experience. It may sound like a cliche but it holds true; It's not about the destination but the journey itself.

There's a lot more to go yet. I'm still trying to sort it all out in my own mind, too.

Thank you,

Todd

Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #94
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 8 continued

Some of the video I uploaded tonight.

You’ll get to experience or maybe maybe feel Déjŕ vu by watching this. Pay attention to the what the mirror is doing. That’s the feeling my arms are going through trying to keep the bike upright and also moving in the right direction!

When I clipped the camera on my helmet I must not have had it lined up correctly so it’s pointed one click lower than it should be. My bad…

While watching this one you should be able to feel the bike drift a little bit. I let it do what it wants so that we can pick up a little speed. When you see the dust cloud (a mile ahead at times) you can slow down and move over.

Now you get to, somewhat, experience the dust invasion by a passing semi. The wind was blowing from our right to left so it was minimal. Don’t worry, I have more for you to experience the FULL effect.

You can also see the SPOT and how it’s mounted. See the little red button? Dylan knows exactly what to do in an emergency. Flip the cover and press the button. You cannot “unpress” the button, so be sure, damn sure. I don’t need a dispute about how it’s mounted or where. This is where I think it’s best suited for us. If we are both ejected from the bike then one of us doesn’t have it on us. The bike and/or its components may be a bit more intact. It’s sad you need to think like that but then again, better off that you do when you have the ability to travel where we do.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #95
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 8 continued

I cannot express how alone you are while driving the Trans Lab. There were times that we wouldn't see any sign of life for hours. Want a challenge? Drive the TLH. Do it BEFORE it's all paved though.

We were doing it clockwise during the “off” season. Canada schools are still in session until June 20th. They don’t start their tourist season until after that. Seems like it coincides with the summer solstice?

A few photos that had not uploaded. They are out of “sequence” but were taken during this day.

From back at the bridge the semi loaded with culverts went by us.

While it was still raining and we were in the red clay area.

Dylan’s feet on the grated bridge. Neither one of us liked these types of bridges.

Same area.

Not done yet!!!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #96
ozmikl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Mate great RR and well done Dylan enjoy this time with your dad!
I say this to everyone that I see posting that they are doing the Trans Lab trip..... Don't miss Battle Harbour, it is 30 minutes (or so) by ferry from Mary's Harbour, if you want some idea of how desolate and isolated it must have been up there 1-200 years ago sit on a rock out there for a while, it is awesome.
Enjoy the rest of the trip and stay safe.
Michael

Ducati ST2 Dual Sport Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post14187216

Do dyslexic agnostic insomniacs sit up all night contemplating if there really is a Dog?
ozmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #97
ProZac235
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Loving the RR
ProZac235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #98
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 8 continued

There were quite a few of these types of areas. I’m guessing this was some sort of a staging area where the equipment and supplies could be stored. They may have even had rock crushing equipment here. Now it’s a big area that you’ll see an RV or camper in along the way.

Prior to the road being completed to Red Bay you would have gone to Cartwright and taken a ferry south. Now that the “coastal drive” is complete…here we are!

This is a small turnout that has a sign and some information.

A close up that you may be able to read.

The bike sitting all alone with her own peace and quiet while Dylan and I stretched our legs. I kept looking down at the “range” on the computer and was getting a bit concerned about the fuel situation. I carried 3 liters in the fuel bottles on the back. Our stove also uses premium (which I hadn’t been purchasing) fuel. I had not and to tap those bottles yet on the trip. If we were going to have to it would be today. This was our longest stretch without a fuel stop.

Now entering Atlantic Standard Time Zone. What do you mean adjust by only 30 minutes?

Still got a long way to go, eh?

Hey, who are those two guys that are always riding with us lately? We hadn’t seen a shadow in quite a few days!

A sort video clip as we approach the turnoff for Cartwright.

This video is a little south of the turnoff to Cartwright. It’s the road to Charlottetown. As you can see it’s a VERY nice day now.

Our first glimpse of the Alexis River. That means we’re coming up to Port Hope Simpson.

Have you ever had one of those moments, like a heart beat was skipped, or some may even call it “a pucker string moment”. yeah, that’s what I am about to have.

Heavy bike with a passenger, loaded to the gills, rounding a corner on gravel with a grated bridge ahead AND a dust cloud that is hiding a semi! Let’s BOTH cross the bridge at the same time so that if I drift over to your side you can push me back.

Our first run through Port Hope Simpson. I later found out that this isn’t even “downtown”!

We were badly needing fuel. I stopped to ask an elderly gentleman but could not hear him or he mumbled. He kept pointing back to the highway so we turned around and went back. We got off the highway too soon!

This video happens to contain the B&B and the restaurant, Campbell’s, that is owned by the same family. Great folks! Cyril Campbell treated us very well. The restaurant is the very last building you see before the video goes off and the B&B is the last one on the left BEFORE the restaurant. At one point it is the only two buildings framed in the video. Very inexpensive compared to hotel/motel. We found this to be true in the rest of our trip. You also get a wonderful meal in the morning and meet some of the greatest people.

Getting fuel I checked the range the computer thought I had left. 77 miles. Those last miles were ticking down pretty darn quick though!

I don’t trust my fuel gauge as much as I used to. This is my second one and I just had it replaced.

We checked in at Campbell’s B&B and started the process of charging things and sending some email via their WiFi. Highly recommend Campbell’s! You go to the restaurant to get info and check in. They close at 8pm (I think because they were closing up for the night when we got there).

Our accommodations for the evening.

Clean and quiet. What more could you ask for?

It was a long tiring day again. Starting out in the rain sucked but then the end was pretty nice.

274 miles today all on gravel!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #99
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:

Now entering Atlantic Standard Time Zone. What do you mean adjust by only 30 minutes?
You would have been in Atlantic Standard Time. When you adjusted by 30min you were moving into Newfoundland Standard Time.

R_Rick screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 05:43 AM
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 AM   #100
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post
You would have been in Atlantic Standard Time. When you adjusted by 30min you were moving into Newfoundland Standard Time.
Oops. My bad. Too much of a hurry last night.

Thanks! I don't set my watch to the time zone we're in so I always had to "do the math".

Todd

Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #101
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Oops. My bad. Too much of a hurry last night.

Thanks! I don't set my watch to the time zone we're in so I always had to "do the math".

Todd

If you spend time watching TV in eastern Canada, you get to know Newfoundland time pretty fast. Pretty sure all I ever heard growing up was "Tonight on CBC. watch the Leaf's lose again. 9 Atlantic, 930 in Newfoundland"
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #102
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
When I'm thinking of riding somewhere, I mine ride reports for info about accommodations, fuel availability and so forth. The info about Campbell's B&B is the kind of stuff I look for. Thanks for posting it. I'd appreciate hearing more. I'm shooting for an August ride across the Trans Lab.

Went to Alaska last year and enjoyed your report of your trip there, too.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #103
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I took note of that B&B also. When in August are you planning to do the ride?

I leave Montreal on Friday Aug. 1st, to do it in a clockwise direction (originally was going to be counter-clockwise) with my first night camping in Tadoussac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
When I'm thinking of riding somewhere, I mine ride reports for info about accommodations, fuel availability and so forth. The info about Campbell's B&B is the kind of stuff I look for. Thanks for posting it. I'd appreciate hearing more. I'm shooting for an August ride across the Trans Lab.

Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #104
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
I took note of that B&B also. When in August are you planning to do the ride?

I leave Montreal on Friday Aug. 1st, to do it in a clockwise direction (originally was going to be counter-clockwise) with my first night camping in Tadoussac.
Hoping you both have safe travels!

I had picked up a card from the B&B and kept it in my jacket pocket. The weather took its toll on the card but you should still be able to make out the needed info.

There's also a flyer at "Penny's" gas station (which you WILL be stopping at) when you get fuel.

The front:

The back:

Todd

Old 07-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #105
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

June 16, 2014

Day 9

Hey sunshine! Time to rise and shine. Yes, traveling with your dad can be a burden!

Guess what it was doing outside? If you guessed raining you win!!!!

Cyril had told me the evening prior to just come over to the restaurant in the morning to eat. He said he was there around 6am and would make whatever we wanted for breakfast.

Eggs, home made bread for toast and breakfast ham. It was REALLY yummy!

Dylan is a scrambled lover and I’m an over easy!

I wish I knew what the breakfast ham was. It was wonderful. Kind of a cross between bacon, ham and Canadian bacon.

Took a quick photo from the back of the restaurant which is on the bank of the Alexis River. You can see the weather is not great.

While we ate the rain had turned to a sprinkle and almost quit entirely. Lots of stubby little trees and moss.

Then we see something we have become a bit more accustomed to seeing. A bull moose. This one however was running along side the road with us. I didn’t take the camera out until I was sure it wasn’t going to do something stupid, like come at us.

You can see his big hind end in this photo.

He took off just like we were going to do. They are big and beautiful but, wow, not very bright.

Had to have a picture of the iceberg alley sign. I’ve never seen an iceberg at this point in my life. That’s about to change!

Here’s a good place to camp, lots of firewood….

I was more than a bit shocked at the amount of firewood that was along the road. Come to find out that this is the way things are done. You go cut the firewood in the winter and drag it out of the woods on sleighs behind snowmobiles. Then the rest of the year you cut, split and stack it up to let it dry.

Some of these areas where the wood is stacked are HUGE!!!

The sleighs were left in some pretty precarious spots along the TLH.

The world famous Hoop Hole Brook. Don’t ask, I have no idea why I took this photo.

A few more sleigh pictures and then I’ll be done.

I promise, not many more…

Ok, if you insist, one more.

I don’t know what this was but it sure did look interesting at the time. It was all fenced in with flag poles, a pile of pallets a scarecrow looking thing.

We went into Mary’s Harbour hoping to find someplace to take a break. It’s nice to just get off the bike and stretch the muscles out a bit.

We then stopped again around Lodge Bay.

Getting foggy. Hmmm, I wonder it the temps are getting cooler? Yes, the stuff that looks like clean dirt is actually dirty snow. I’ve heard it called in the plains of the midwest “snirt” .

It’s getting foggier!

Dylan was just staying warm. He kept all his gear on when we took a break. Even has Ice Armor gloves on!

Clowning around on the ice/snow.

Yes, that too is snow in the hills.

Still keeping all bundled up!

These trucks don’t seem that big when they’re far away.

But then when you get up close! Yikes! Where do I get one of those orange flags on a pole?

Now we’re going to have to fend for ourselves since they were all out of orange flags.

Remember that video from a few days ago. Well we’re at that point now.

This probably wouldn’t have felt so bad had it not been raining, foggy, and cold.

Our saving grace was that we knew we were getting closer to Red Bay and that would signify the end of the Trans Labrador Highway. Yes, bittersweet yet still a relief with all the crazy weather we were having.

Kind of makes you wonder if the equipment operators could see us or not.

And that my friends is the end of the gravel portions of the Trans Labrador Highway!

We were headed toward Blanc Sablon to catch the ferry to Newfoundland. It was really getting cold and foggy. We are seeing more icebergs.

It was really cool to see the icebergs.

We stopped at a little store in L Anse Au Loup to warm up and get a snack. An elderly gentleman got me a cup of coffee and we had a couple of candy bars. He said we could go to the other side to warm up and use the restrooms. It was a bar that was for sale. The Tobac Lounge. He was really nice to us and let us warm up.

Dylan is usually not cold. He was pretty darn happy when the “well prepared dad” pulled some Hot Hands out of a bag. I had grip heaters so I was good to go.

My Super Glue dissolved in the rain!!! My fog light that I repaired front eh Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail had given out. I unclipped the light and put it into a side case.

More fog and icebergs. Kind of a common theme right now. At least it isn’t sleighs and firewood!

These would shave been beautiful views if not for the fog. The cliffs stopping at the Atlantic Ocean were spectacular!