Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #106
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorWis View Post
Hoping you both have safe travels!

I had picked up a card from the B&B and kept it in my jacket pocket.
Todd
Thanks, Todd.

Mtl Biker, I don't have a set date for the trip. I just got back from a ride to Montana and have to get a bike ready.
Bicyclist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #107
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 260
Day 9 continued

As we rounded a bend the fog had cleared enough as we entered Blanc Sablon we could see the ferry! Believe it or not it’s in the photo below.

There was hope that we would be able to get on this ferry since it was still in port. I had been worried that I should have made reservations so we didn’t “miss the boat”.

I pulled the bike behind a truck and sign that said do not proceed past this point without a ticket. Damn, they mean business. I ran inside the ticket terminal and was quite surprised how “low tech” it was. I thought I had stepped back into the 60’s. Paper piles on these old desks with these two ladies hammering away at keyboards. OK, they had PC’s but that was the extent of it. They were very nice and spoke english so that helped me a great deal. I told them I had a motorcycle and a 13 year old passenger. $20.90 please. Use lane 4. Umm, ok. Thanks! How soon before we load? They all ready started better get going. Yikes! OK.

You can see the cars lined up and a couple of semis. We got to lane 4 and waited, but not for very long.

Excuse me Captain, are these icebergs going to pose a problem?

They squeezed us in behind a car and next to a semi.

Out of the rain! They gave us a couple of straps to tie the bike down. We were pretty cold and beginning to get wet around the edges (neck, ankles and wrists) of our suits.

Inside the bowels of the ship.

Ah, Dylan, you can’t go in there. No Pets Permitted! We were still cold and not thinking real clear. See the label that says “Push & Hold”? We pushed on the door, pulled on the door and tried a few others odd things to get it to open. No go so we stood there like idiots looking at the door willing it to open. One of the guys came over and pushed a button on the wall and held it. Poof, the doors vacuum lock released and it slid open. Of course he got a kick out of watching that.

Traveling through the ships various decks to get to the passenger deck. It was the largest ship I had been on, up to this point in time.

We went all the way up to the outside observation deck, took a photo and went back inside where it was much warmer.

One more time Captain; Are you sure you can out maneuver these icebergs? We don’t want to test out how prepared you and your crew are with an emergency. That water looks pretty cold!

Now there’s a happy camper! Eating a couple of pretty expensive hot dogs on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean.

I was looking intently out the window helping the Captain avoid the icebergs. I also had my SPOT just in case we needed it.

The crossing does not take long but it sure did get us warmed up a bit. The GPS doesn’t know where it is.

All mounted up waiting our turn to unload. It gets loud in here with all the vehicles running!

There’s the light at the end of the tunnel! In this case you do want to “go toward the light”!

After leaving the belly of the ship. I like this photo with Dylan and the bow of the ship open. Welcome to Newfoundland!!!

You can tell by Dylan’s expression and visor that it’s raining and cold.

I thought we had seen a lot of firewood stacked along the road in Labrador. Well look at what the Newfies can do!

I wasn’t sure if these were “bergs” or just pack ice. Still very cool to see!

This is pack ice.

It rained and rained and rained on us. Our welcome weather to Newfoundland was not pleasant to say the least. We stopped at another “?” for some help finding a place to stay that wasn’t going to break the bank.

We found another B&B called the Viking Nest in Hay Cove. This was a great find! The lady that owns it (Thelma) was so very nice and concerned about us. We had a great room with a private bath and a private entrance. Her husband is a fisherman and was off fishing.

We sat in her dining room to use the Wi-Fi once we had warmed up and got all of our gear set out to dry. When you walked into the room it felt like a sauna! She made us some hot tea and hot chocolate to warm us up.

Still in his rain gear, Dylan was not looking like he was enjoying this…yet.

The room BEFORE we took over.

Then after!

Dylan using his tablet and getting comfy.

We were hoping to get some good weather to head up to L’anse Meadows to see the Viking Village. Thelma said that we should look for the Snorri but we were only planning one stop.

This was in our room at the Viking Nest.

Thelma gave us a menu to choose our breakfast and what time we wanted it in the morning. A wonderful place to stay.

We did 254 miles today and every one of those miles seemed to be in the rain.

Nice weather coming up!!!

2up to Labrador - Another father/son adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984421
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #108
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Once again, fantastic report!!! Thank you!

Am I correct that when you arrived in NFLD via the ferry, it was already at least early (maybe late) afternoon, and that you were still able to make it all the way over to l'anse aux Meadows before dark? Did you happen to notice any camping spots along the way?

I'm anxiously awaiting your further reports and planning my own trip based on what you and others report. I'm also hoping to be able to make it over to Twillingate for a night of camping on the cliffs there, but it looks like there are not many route options to get there and back from the west coast of NFLD. And I'd hate to have to backtrack along the same road for hours.

At this point I'm thinking that I'll try to find a place to camp (or a nice B&B) not too far from the ferry after I arrive in NFLD. And then if at all possible, I'd like to get at least one night camping in Gros Morne and a night in Twillingate and maybe another night somewhere else closer to the ferry terminal from Port aux Basques. Any suggestion about routing? It sure looks like Hwy 1 is the only route to take you from the west to east coast and back. Are there REALLY no other roads (Google Maps doesn't seem to show much if anything)?

Again, wonderful reports. And Dylan will have great memories forever.

Cheers!
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #109
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Once again, fantastic report!!! Thank you!

Am I correct that when you arrived in NFLD via the ferry, it was already at least early (maybe late) afternoon, and that you were still able to make it all the way over to l'anse aux Meadows before dark? Did you happen to notice any camping spots along the way?

I'm anxiously awaiting your further reports and planning my own trip based on what you and others report. I'm also hoping to be able to make it over to Twillingate for a night of camping on the cliffs there, but it looks like there are not many route options to get there and back from the west coast of NFLD. And I'd hate to have to backtrack along the same road for hours.

At this point I'm thinking that I'll try to find a place to camp (or a nice B&B) not too far from the ferry after I arrive in NFLD. And then if at all possible, I'd like to get at least one night camping in Gros Morne and a night in Twillingate and maybe another night somewhere else closer to the ferry terminal from Port aux Basques. Any suggestion about routing? It sure looks like Hwy 1 is the only route to take you from the west to east coast and back. Are there REALLY no other roads (Google Maps doesn't seem to show much if anything)?

Again, wonderful reports. And Dylan will have great memories forever.

Cheers!
We were on the 1pm ferry. Our goal was to camp as much as possible. Had we not been coming close to being hypothermic we would have camped. Right by the "T" to go to L'anse Meadows there were several campgrounds we could have chosen. There is also one up by the Viking Village. That is where I had intended to camp.

The campground I had pinpointed was:

http://www.campscout.com/campground/NL0033/

St. Anthony probably also has some. We did not go to St. John's because of the backtracking we likely would have had to do. I could have taken that ferry (Argentia-North Sydney) to North Sydney though and probably should have in hindsight.

Stay tuned about Gros Morne. That is a DO NOT miss kind of place. You can also get some beautiful campsites at the provincial parks in the area. They tend to be very expensive (but very nice amenities) because of the daily fee.

If you have an iPad or iPhone get an app called CampWhere. I've been using that a lot and it's pretty good. It doesn't have ALL campsites but it sure does have a lot of them.

Also...don't count hostels out! Stay tuned about our run in (or run out as it was).

Please make note that Dylan and I did this trip early in the season. We never had an issue of having to make reservations for anything. Folks told us "good thing you didn't try that two weeks from now". If you can, get reservations or at least call ahead to check on availability.

Todd

Old 07-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #110
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

June 17, 2014

Day 10

We woke up to the sunshine. It was a 180 degree turnaround from the day before. Thelma had our breakfast waiting for us.

She sat with us and talked about our plans for the day. She said to make sure to go to Rocky Harbor to get some lobster. They’re very cheap right now. $6.50 a pound, it’s lobster season! They will even cook them for you. We’re in! We we’re planning on going right through there. This was going to be a very leisurely day. She also warned us about the Wreckhouse and being on a motorcycle. Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the Wreckhouse? I was half listening to her and looking at the long range weather forecast. She did say there had been an accident there the day before when the weather was bad. I told her the weather looked really good for the next few days and then we would be heading to Nova Scotia on the ferry.

The view from the deck of the B&B. You can see the ice has moved into the cove.

I walked up the road a bit to get this picture.

This is why Thelma’s husband had left to go fishing. The ice kept getting packed in so thick they couldn't get out (or back) to fish. He was leaving for three weeks at a time with this weird spring we were all having.

Too small to see but it is the entrance sign for the L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site. This was cool!

It’s one of those “You’ve got to see” places. Wish we had more time to spend in this area. Dylan and I both loved it.

The approach to the park.

Watch out for MOOSE!!!!

It’s very hard to put into words about this area. The history that was here, yet the traditions of the local people still being carried on from generations ago.

The view the Vikings had.

We decided to join a group with a tour guide instead of the self guided tour. Good choice. Our tour guide had (and still does) live on the shore of the Atlantic. He had grown up playing “on the mounds” as he called it. Caching fish in the creeks and shooting small game animals for the family table. He helped build the sod encampment and was asked by Parks Canada (in 1973) if he would stick around to talk to visitors about his first hand experiences. He is even the “poster child” on the brochure!

One of the creeks flowing through.

He singled Dylan out and told the entire group that this young man is most definitely a descendant of Eric the Red. Look at this red hair, freckles, and blue eyes! Those are Viking features. Dylan was beaming!

A depiction of “East Meets West”

Anywhere there was an artifact found these “fires” were placed to mark that spot.

Our tour guide was so passionate it was contagious!

The exterior of the sod building.

A few of the “out buildings”.

Inside with some Vikings.

A few photos

The actors encouraged us to handle all the things that were in the building.

Dylan getting a picture.

The picture he took

Dylan and I outside a sod building.

Dylan with Lief Erickson.

What a wonderful morning this has been. Now we are off to St. Anthony’s.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #111
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah, yes, Wreckhouse. Famous for extremely high winds, strong enough to blow the Newfoundland train off the tracks. The railroad used to follow a route from Port aux Basques to St. Johns along what is now Hwy 1. There was a guy who lived in the area who would make reports to the railroad telling them whether it was safe to run the trains. Now that the railroad is gone, it's vehicles on the highway that are at risk of being blown over.

After the railroad was abandoned in the eighties, the right of way was turned into a rail trail that runs right across the island.

Mtl Biker, the cliffs at Twillingate are amazing. Great views of whales, icebergs, and a fantastic night sky. Worth the trip.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #112
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
If you can somewhat..... please share what some of the costs are....Ferries and lodging. Not the nitty gritty, just something to help budget and plan with as i put together my own trip with my son (2 bikes).

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #113
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

The University in Corner Brook offers summer accommodations on their campus.

http://www.findyourcorner.ca/confere...modations.aspx

Marine Atlantic makes the ferry run between Port aux Basques and North Sidney.

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/index....-redirect=true

MV Apollo, Blanc Sablon-St Barbe ($12.65)

http://www.tw.gov.nl.ca/ferryservice...s/j_pollo.html

As Todd says, hotels are expensive, B&Bs are cheaper.

Here's a place to start looking.

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/wheretostay

A lot of this stuff can be dug up on the interwebs, but first hand info from Todd's ride report is invaluable.

edit: When I visited Newfoundland a couple of years ago, I stayed on campus in Corner Brook and St Johns with motel stays in Port aux Basques and Twillingate. I'll be looking for B&Bs and the campus at Corner Brook on this next trip.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #114
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
If you can somewhat..... please share what some of the costs are....Ferries and lodging. Not the nitty gritty, just something to help budget and plan with as i put together my own trip with my son (2 bikes).
Averages:

Camping - $25 to $35
Hotel/Motel $100 to $150 but could go higher.
Ferry from Port Aux Basque to North Sidney was $149 for one bike and two passengers with no reserved seat (no need for that) and no cabin. I thought of it as a "hotel room" since we slept the entire trip. I did that reservation via phone so no receipt. Stay tuned for details...

Food is a killer too. We ate two meals a day typically. A good breakfast then a good late afternoon meal. Needing WiFi we would hit places that I knew we would find it. McDonalds, 2 value meals is $22. Tim Horton's will become your friend. $9 and we were filled for breakfast and had WiFi, too.

PB&J on tortillas goes a long way when you are in a pinch. We also carried a few freeze dried meals and that saved us from going to bed hungry several nights. Clif Bars and granola bars are great to get a quick snack on board. We would buy then "debox" at a Wal-Mart. Candy bars in Canada were $1.70.

The ferry receipt:

If you have more questions feel free to ask!!!

Todd

Old 07-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #115
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 869
Food can quickly become expensive. Not to mention that there are so many hamburgers and fries you can eat in a week. Which is why it cn be a good solution to bring a gas burner and some canned or pouched food.

Lentil curry - $0.99

Coffee and oat meal in the morning. Cinamon buns too.

$1.50 Chef Boyardee's raviolis

1988 Honda Africa Twin aka Queen of Sheeba -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #116
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 10 continued

We kept seeing signs for a place called “Dark Tickle”. That conjures up all kinds of things in my mind.

It had all kinds of gifts and local food products.

Coming into St. Anthony’s

It was a cool little town. Had some issues with the main street in town and some really bad frost damage but it was being repaired.

Went to the Post Office to mail some post cards. 4 ladies were in there talking and the moment I walked in they all stopped and looked at me. What a fun conversation we had after that. Dylan was outside for at least 15 minutes wondering what the heck was going on. I said to them when they stopped talking “I’ll bet you’ll have all kinds of things to say right after I leave”. That got the ball rolling and we were chatting and laughing like old friends. They even wanted to “Skreech Me In”! In 15 minutes they had it all planned out. When I came out of the post office laughing with tears in my eyes Dylan was more than a bit bewildered! What a great group of people!

We went to the gift shop Dylan saw a sign for. Out in the harbor was an honest to goodness iceberg. It was as big as a football field! More is under the water than on top so it was HUGE!

Having a little fun! We needed a good sunny relaxing day. Brought us out of the funk we were in just trying to get from point to point. Now we were enjoying the places, the people, the sights, sounds….

Yes, I know the weather should not make or break your trip. It did not diminish our trip at all. We are out for an adventure and by God we got one. It also helps to teach a young person that life isn't going to always be silk lined and full of fun. There are going to be challenges in life and you need to meet those challenges head on with a clear mind and embrace the opportunities you have. You may not ever get that opportunity again.

Dylan “tasting” the giant iceberg.

At the gift shop there was an artist there who had carved ear rings and pendants out of whale bone. I was very close to purchasing some ear rings for my wife and opted to not do that (personal reasons/beliefs). I was really glad I didn’t. The first thing I was asked entering the US in Maine was if I had anything carved from whale bone.

Another bull moose wanted to “run with the motorcycle”. They are very LARGE animals.

Then we went through an area that was just about treeless.

I think this was a preserve of some kind.

Ahhh, there’s the ocean again.

Just north of Gros Morne we stopped for a quick break in Parsons Pond. The terrain was beginning to change drastically.

Dylan was getting pretty good at reading the map and knowing the distance to our next stop or our stop for the evening.

A few photos as we rode through this area. These are all just prior to Gros Morne.

Then we entered Gros Morne National Park. What a spectacular area this is!!!

Crab pots, lobster traps. Hey Dylan, you getting hungry? Yeah, me, too. Dad, are we going to Rocky Harbor for lobster? Oh, yeah! Let’s see if we can find that place Thelma told us about.

Here are a few videos as we went through Gros Morne. I don’t know where ethese are but I know the sequence of the videos and that they are from Gros Morne. Hell, it’s not raining! It’s the only day we’ve had that it isn’t!!!

A nice small community. Oh, wait, they have a grated bridge!

Have I mentioned how beautiful it was today? Isn’t this view just about perfect? Coming around a bend and seeing the Atlantic Ocean calm and the sun shining above it.

More day 10 to come! We were having fun and enjoying the ride.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #117
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 10 continued

We were basking in the sunshine with our stomachs beginning to grumble. We pulled into Rocky Harbor and took about 20 minutes trying to find the place that would cook our lobsters for $6.50 pound. That was too good to pass up. Once we found it the let down was heart wrenching. They would cook them but that’s it. No table, nothing to eat with, no butter nothing but a cooked lobster in a bag. Damn. I’m sure we could have made it work but we needed to start thinking about where to stay rathe than where to eat and with what. We’ll get a lobster, don’t worry…

From Rocky Harbor we rode to Norris point. This next video is coming into Norris Point. Remember, I work for a hospital. There is a new hospital in Norris Point and they made the old one into a hostel. The sign for the hostel is just as the video ends.

We drove back toward the hostel and were already apprehensive. I have never stayed in one and wanted to experience that. As we drove up to it the first impressions were not overly positive. There were a bunch of folks out mowing the lawn (badly needed). The building itself was a bit, run down at first glance. We didn’t give it a good chance so I think a better look would be the thing to do. Nevertheless, we took off up the road. I turned into a large driveway that looked good to turn around in. Not!!!! I was going to do a slow 180 and the drive was at a slight incline. A dog started barking and was running toward us. Crap! Too, slow. As I began to make the turn I was focused on the dog and if it was chained (turns out it was) and the bike decided to eject us. Thank goodness all of our gear was on. We needed every bit of it. Even for a slow ejection on gravel it would screw you up bad. The only thing damaged was my pride, first (and only!) drop of the trip and my gloves where I slid.

We had herculean strength, the wheels were pointing uphill, and righted the bike within seconds. Sorry no photo!!

We hightailed it out of there.

We decided to camp at a KOA we saw a sign for. As I registered and was looking out the window a guy was admiring the bike. When we came out he said he had an old BMW but was traveling with his Norton on the back of his RV. He said “I only see one sticker missing from you cases” You’ve never been to a BMW MOA Rally. Yup, you’re right.

That is about to change. I am leaving Thursday for the BMW MOA Rally in St. Paul, MN.

This campground was on the edge of Gros Morne. It was wonderful. Clean, friendly, the view was to die for.

The beautiful bike with Gros Morne Mountain in the background from our campsite.

Later that evening.

Another great start on day 11 coming up!!!

Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #118
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
A big thank you. You have a Great thread going with tons of info that I am using already. I know traveling Canada can be spendy from traveling the Alcan several times. The lodging, camping, and ferries were my real unknowns for this area. The meals I have down to fine science and never have an issue there (Huge reserve of MRE's ) Plus our little Svea123 stove heats up our powdered soups that we through dried beef, chicken, or fish in.

Once again great thread. At the end I will ask you how many gallons of fuel you burned on the trip.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #119
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post

Once again great thread. At the end I will ask you how many gallons of fuel you burned on the trip.
157 gallons.

Todd

Old 07-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #120
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 10 final

We had run 266 miles today and they seemed VERY easy miles. We were relaxed and enjoyed the sunshine and the ride. A perfect day.

A few pictures I forgot from Dylan’s camera from the Gros Morne area.

Having WiFi right in the tent allowed me to send squirrely pictures to my wife of, as she puts it her “Adventure Boyz”.